HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:59 AM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Perhaps someone help with installing electronics. On the pictures you can see how I did it.

muznik is offline Find More Posts by muznik
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
870 Posts
well after 2 weeks of building & not following instructions as good as I should have I realized it was best to start over.The fillets were installed then sanded which made it a little hard to get the shape,it would have worked but I wasnt happy.The fueselage was a bit crooked towards the rear by the engines(didnt measure it out correctly)so I decided to make a fresh start & take it a little slower this time.i kinda got in a hurry because I really wanted to fly it so I think I cut a few corners.This one will take as long as it takes to make it perfect.I picked up a Sebart Mig 29 to get my jet fix on in the meantime so I dont hurry this build along.
I was wondering if someone has better build pics of the naccelles,the ones in the thread seem to wash out in the white or is there any guide that has the parts numbered.Some of the parts look the same to me(have not built a kit in over 10 years or so)
Thanks for any help.
Hope this one goes better
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:17 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
870 Posts
alright,the new one is going as planned.I spent 5 hours last night working on it & got past the majority of the initial build.nacelles are built & installed onto wings,fueselage built & installed,almost done with one of the fillets & started on the other side.On the last one the nose cone was a problem,first of all I didnt install the first former so the nose was to small to begin with.Im gonna use 330 grit for shaping & take my time.Anyone got any info on the canopy build.I only saw 2 parts plus the clear portion of the canopy that is shaped like the fuse.I thought about building the canopy out of a block of foam & use the clear canopy
as a guide?Can someone link a picture of the canopy build?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
One thing you can say about this build that doesnt even come close to anty other build is, "Sand, spackle, sand, then sand some more!" If you have built this amazing craft then you know what I mean...
Yes, I do! My wrists still hurt when I think about it. But you gotta admit, as you see that beautiful Sukhoi blended shape slowly arise out of the foam, it's all worth it...

Great job with the shaping on your bird! It's looking really nice. The carbon fiber strengthening is great, too!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
That looks really good, Levictus. Your hard work is paying off!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:44 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Thanks Steve and Bob...

Steve, I gotta say, this thing looks like sex with wings...a beautiful bird for sure...a testament to great plans...

Bob, your build pics on your website were a great additional reference to the build guide...thanks for posting them!
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Happy to help!

"sex with wings"...I'll have to remember that!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
870 Posts
Well Im 30 hours into the build & its starting to look a bit like the end result Ive seen on here.The amount of sanding,spackling & sanding is insane but as of last night Im starting to see the light in the end of the tunnel.Im thinking I might be able to maiden it in about 15 more hours & then ready to paint it.Ive taken a hiatus from the infinate sanding/spackling & started to work on the electronics.Last night I mounted the motors/tv servos/linkage.Tonite Im going to mount the elevon servos,wire the exstensions for the escs,install rx & bind it so I can set the base throws.As of last weekend I was really discouraged with the results but its starting to take shape.I was so frustrated 2 weeks ago I bought a freewing su35 pnf just to have a jet to fly.This plane will be a bit more fun though,no runway or flying field required & Im hoping more than 4 minutes of flying time?

Ace hardware has become a second home for me with all the sandpaper Ive purchased recently
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Nothing like a coat of white paint to show off all the flaws in your finish... Just cracked out the spackle and sandpaper again
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
870 Posts
Does the minwax cover the minor scuffs from sandpaper after a few coats?Im also going to try the spray can cause I dont have an airbrush to apply it.Will the accelerant in the minwax aerosol damage the foam like regular spray paint?I almost have the finish perfect but I was wondering if there was any room for error as far as how the minwax covers up imperfections.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:57 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalith8 View Post
Does the minwax cover the minor scuffs from sandpaper after a few coats?Im also going to try the spray can cause I dont have an airbrush to apply it.Will the accelerant in the minwax aerosol damage the foam like regular spray paint?I almost have the finish perfect but I was wondering if there was any room for error as far as how the minwax covers up imperfections.
It will cover minor scuffing, but you have to use wbpu or water based polyurethane. Minwax version is called Polycrylic, water based, and won't damage the foam. I use the spray can version and have no issues.

To cover and smooth out imperfections and rough areas in the surface, I use polyfil which is super lightweight spackle. Just pickup the container at the hardware store and it feels like air. I use an old credit card to apply and push in cracks, sand with very fine sandpaper, and coat with wbpu. That's my fav method, but others do different things...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
It will cover minor scuffing, but you have to use wbpu or water based polyurethane. Minwax version is called Polycrylic, water based, and won't damage the foam. I use the spray can version and have no issues.

To cover and smooth out imperfections and rough areas in the surface, I use polyfil which is super lightweight spackle. Just pickup the container at the hardware store and it feels like air. I use an old credit card to apply and push in cracks, sand with very fine sandpaper, and coat with wbpu. That's my fav method, but others do different things...
I couldn't agree more! The aerosol Minwax will be a problem for the foam if you don't have a good paint base over the foam. It's fine to use it last after all painting, decals, etc. are done...just make sure you use multiple very thin coats. Personally, I use the liquid minwax and thin it for airbrush use. You can be more sparing with the use and still get the job done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:32 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
Happy to help!

"sex with wings"...I'll have to remember that!
Yeah, I got a big smile on my face with that comment, too. I know exactly what he means--the Su-27/-37 is one of the curviest and best-looking airplanes ever made...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:35 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evalith8 View Post
Try mixing some baby powder into the WBPU, and then apply it with a brush. This will help fill in many of the scuffs and dents that WBPU won't by itself. You can add as much baby powder as you want to get the consistency you need. Let it dry and then sand it, and you'll get a VERY smooth surface. Plus the model will smell great, too!