SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:00 PM
stop making sense
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
240 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Rebuild the hobbycompressor to combined vacuum

I know that many builders look at vacuum tech as it seems just a little to much, I just wanted to show how one can relatively easily rebuild at least some of the popular and affordable hobby/airbrush compressors to a vacuum pump or combined compressor.

I will do some explaining when I get to it..
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Last edited by hallo; Dec 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:58 PM
stop making sense
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
240 Posts
What's a vacuum switch?

On these compressors there are a pressure switch mounted on one of the sides of the cylinder, on this one it starts the compressor below 3kg pressure and stops it when it reaches 4kg. If one is to use it as a combined compressor one should still mount the pressure switch somewhere in the chain, for safety reasons I think.

A vacuum switch is just that, unfortunately these switches are not particularly easily accessible at the corner hardware store. If you're an eBay capable dude there is a lot of alternatives though, the probably most well known and easily accessible is the famous Joe Woodworker switch.

In practice you can just turn it on and let it run, but the motor itself will start to get a little hot after some time. The switch should be with an adjustable threshold so that the vacuum can be reduced if one is to bag -let's say a balsa planked whitefoam wing.
Last edited by hallo; Dec 15, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:26 AM
stop making sense
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
240 Posts
What can I do with it?

First of all it can make the balsa sheeting on our whitefoam wing being pressed firmly and gently to the core at the same time with a perpendicular force, but there are actually many other uses as well.

Did you ever get annoyed by the plywood or liteply that always looks like a screwball? Well, with this tool you can make your own plywood just like a pro, and you can make it from balsa or anything else that comes in a reasonable thin thickness. So what you do is you bag a glass plate or some other flat surface like a straight shelf plate or something.. you can bag the whole working table if you want to, and then you have the laminate on top of it inside the bag and it will become absolutely straight and flat.

Later on if you want to explore what the composite world can add to your construction, the highway lies open to you already any time.
These are pictures from a 2 part model of a wing section with a separate top and bottom side, it will eventually become a wing mold.
Last edited by hallo; Dec 15, 2014 at 07:09 PM.