HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 04:52 AM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Discussion
NEW Seagull Taylorcraft 25e

http://seagullmodels.com/?product=taylor-craft-25e

Has anyone ordered the NEW Seagull Taylorcraft 25e?
I'm seriously considering it over the E-Flite Super Cub 25e due to the semi-symmetrical wings. No flaps though but a lot less money. I have the E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 and love it. I have a Power 32 looking for a new home and thought this would make for a nice lazy flyer with some aerobatic capabilities(more so than the Super Cub).
pcnewman is offline Find More Posts by pcnewman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:57 AM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
If you look at the manual, (page #17) the battery installation looks like a real PIA!. You velcro strap it to a tray, then the tray needs to be slid WAY forward, pretty much out of sight, then screwed down. Pay close attention to the pic on the top right of pg 17. You can barely seee the ballance plug from the battery esposed. Not something I would want to do every time I change the battery. They should have made a hatch in front of the labding gear like the E-Flite T-craft 450.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
I just received my kit Friday and very happy with the quality.

The plane is very light so I'd imagine a power 32 would do way more for this plane than it would for the super cub which is about 2 lbs heavier. I am planning to put the power 25 in mine.

I don't have any electronics for it yet but have begun assembling the plane anyways. I'll reserve comment on the battery installation until I get an ESC to test that. I will tell you that the access port to install the nylon wing bolts is too small. I can't get my fingers in there enough to turn the bolt when it starts to get resistance which is about 20 turns from being tight. Assuming the threaded portion of they fuselage they attach to is 1/2" or less, one could cut about 3/4" of the bolt off to reduce some of that effort. I'm going to try a nylon hex head bolt in place of what they supplied to see if that works better.
freddy_fo is offline Find More Posts by freddy_fo
Last edited by freddy_fo; Dec 08, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Thanks for the response. Would really like to hear more as you progress. I didnt realize there was such a weight difference between the Tcraft and Super Cub.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
I have the super cub with the .32 installed and it is a little under 6 lbs with a 4s 3200 battery.

The taylorcraft assembled without electronics is a little under 2 pounds. I estimate with the 4s battery and electronics it will add another 1.5 lbs for a total of 3.5.

Be aware that the power 32 is shorter than the 25 which they claim the plane is built around so you will need standoffs of some fashion to get the 32 mounted right. The super cub kit came with those but I'd imagine you could use them on the taylorcraft with the same results: EFL460017. That hardware kit also comes with shorter nylon bolts for the wings which may help with the problem I noted in my previous post.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 05:22 PM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Good info, thanks!
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:33 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
No problem. Glad to pass along anything I can.

I now have a list of parts needed to completed and will order soon:

Motor: eflite power 25 870KV.
ESC: Phoenix Edge 50 Amp ESC.
Prop: APC 13x6.5e.
Battery: Eflite 3200 4s 20c.
RX: Spektrum AR410.
Servos: Hi-tec Didgital slim HSA5076HB x 4.
Misc electrics: 1 – 6” Y harness, 2-18” servos extensions for the ailerons.

The battery is one I already have on hand. I plan on upgrading to a Thunder power g8 pro-lite once I get the CG sorted. There is a 4400mah 4s 25c TP battery that weighs the same as this. If I find I have to have the batt all the way forward to get CG I will get an even larger battery before I add weights.

I believe the servos are more than adequate for torque and should fit in the existing mounts without any trimming. I really like the spectrum A5040 which I use on my 25e super cub and others but it will require trimming to get them to fit so I am opting for these instead. I am going digital because I may decide later on to use an ar636 AS3X receiver.

I am not sure how long the servo leads are so I've decided to go 18” on the aileron extensions rather than 12” (which I normally do for planes this size) to be safe. The servo mounting points are 17" from the wing joints.

Finally I’ll be ordering some cable to make braces for the rear stabilizers to keep them square while in the air plus add a little scale detail to the kit. I found a cable kit from sullivan on the HH site - sul546. If I like it I have a tri-pacer I think it will work well on too.
Last edited by freddy_fo; Dec 08, 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Sounds like a great set up. I have all ideas I'll be ordering one of these soon.
I never thought about it before but do you have to use digital servos with the ar636?
Any way you could use CF for the braces. Maybe with terminal connectors for attachment points?
Are you going with the stock wheels and pants? I have 3" foams on my Eflite TC looks cool and handles grass better.
Keep us posted. I guess this is The Official Seagull Taylorcraft 25e arf Thread.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
I think this plane is a great buy and one of the easiest ARF kits I have assembled. Instructions could be better and may be difficult to follow for a first timer but anyone who has a plane or two under their belt should be able to sort it out just fine. There are some discrepancies such as they illustrate metal clevises with lock nuts but the kit comes with the nylon version.

It is recommended to use digital servos with stabilization due to the speed/frequency of inputs to the servos according to what I have read. You don't have to use digital but you run the risk of overheating analogs.

I could definitely use cf for the braces. I know I have some some rods somewhere... just need to find them. I also have nylon rod ends so I could just glue those on the end.
Post some pics of your TC with the 3" wheels. I like the looks of the pants on but I know at some point I'll be flying from a grass field.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:50 AM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Here's a vid. I'll have to post some pics later. This was the first time I flew the TC in a long time. I forgot how enjoyable it is to fly. This is what inspired my quest for a bigger top wing for relaxed flying.

Taylorcraft HD:
Taylorcraft HD (7 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
Nice flying! Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Thanks man. I have some pics of it sitting in the grass with those 3" wheels if I can ever find them, looks pretty cool.
I hope the TC 25e flies as well.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:20 AM
Joined Oct 2008
163 Posts
Hey freddy_fo, any updates?
Whats the weather where you are, any chance of flying before spring?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 03:43 PM
Joined Sep 2014
41 Posts
The plane is assembled and waiting for me to install the electrics.

The main wing braces were too long to line up with the pre-drilled threaded holes in the fuse and wings. The braces have threaded steel rods protruding from the 3 ends which you screw nylon brace ends onto so to make it fit so I had to cut 3/16" of thread from the fuse end and the leading edge wing side only to get them to line up. Once installed the rear h-stab lined up perfectly with the main wing. The other thing is the 3 x 6mm screws they supplied to attach the braces were too short so I wound up using 12mm but 10mm would have worked too.

The plane is super light... really excited to get it in the air. Years end is a busy time for me job-wise so I don't anticipate being completed till after Christmas and hopefully maiden it shortly thereafter. I'm sure weather will stay around freezing by then but there should be plenty of good days to fly despite that.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 01:16 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,339 Posts
Got mine a few weeks ago. Just did a open-the-box inspection and it looks good. I have ordered a Power 32 motor from Headsup RC and four Hitec 85BB servos for this bird. Plan to use existing 4S 4000mah battery and a 60-80 amp ESC (in stock in my shop).

Finishing up another project but will post build info when I get around to this one.
Vic
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Dec 15, 2014 at 08:48 AM.