HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:31 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
Discussion
OGFA -- "Old Guts Fly Again" -- New planes w/ HBZ Champ gear

So the guys on the Champ and Champ mods thread looked like they were getting a little restless and grumpy, and then somebody (RCG user "romanxdsouza") asked about any other designs using Champ guts, and it was 4 a.m. in the morning when lots of new ideas are floating around in the ether and so . . .

A new thread dedicated specifically for planes that "normal" people can build, using Champ parts. (BTW, if you build an airboat, or pretty much anything else that uses the Champ electronics, please post it.)

This thread aims to encourage more building, so when posting, please add any details that you think will be relevant to help others build their own version of your creation.

If anybody has any better ideas for a name other than OGFA (which sounds a little bit Stone-Age), please let me know and I will be happy to change it.

Cheers,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is online now Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Oct 21, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:31 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
OGFA - Other Champ Threads

The original Champ thread. Lots of comments and suggestions for how to set up, fly and repair the Champ:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216910

Champ Mods thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256836

Off-topic Champ thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=champ+mods

If you have any other threads that should be listed here, please PM me and I will add them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Oct 18, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:32 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
OGFA - Other Scratch-Building Threads

Other threads to get you inspired. Each of them will also have further links, suggestions, etc

Thread for building airplanes with AR6400 boards:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146395

Designs thread from Peter Rake. Scaled for Plantraco electronics, most of them could be easily enlarged to Champ size:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2254097

The Peter Rake designs include free downloadable .pdf plans. You will need to enlarge the designs to arrive at a size that will be approximately the same as the Champ, and find a suitable material to use. Both balsa and foam will work, but both balsa and foam can be heavy or light, etc, etc, so you need to figure out what will work for you.

If you have any other threads that should be listed here, please PM me and I will add them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Oct 21, 2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:32 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
OGFA - Champ Specs

OGFA - Champ Specs
They are also available on other sites, but I re-list them here for ease of reference:

Wingspan: 22.4” (517mm) . . . . .Overall Length: 14.3” (365mm)
Flying Weight: 1.3 oz (38g) . . . . Radio: 3-ch, 2.4 GHz, Spektrum DSM
Prop Size: 130 x 70mm . . . . . . . Battery: 3.7V 1S 150mAh LiPo
CG (center of gravity): approx. 28mm behind LE (leading edge)

If there are other bits of tech info you think should show up here, PM me and I will post them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Oct 18, 2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:33 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
OGFA - reserved post #1

OGFA - reserved post #1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Oct 18, 2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:33 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
OGFA - reserved post #2

OGFA - reserved post #2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gabe_BigApple; Oct 18, 2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 03:54 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Just an opinion, but I think you're extremely limiting things by restricting to Champ guts. You -did- start the title with 'old guts fly again,' not 'champ guts fly again.' I've bought guts in the classified for Gee Bee, Mosquito (4ch twin,) Hyper Taxi (AS3X,) and the plans I have for them have nothing to do with where they came from. Yes it's required to know the source of the guts, but -only- for -weight- limit reasons. Repurposing and bodging should be totally open ended for both source and destination.

I'm looking forward to more here. Fuses come and go, and brushed motors and servos will eventually wear out, but the bricks are here forever.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:18 PM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
I think you're extremely limiting things by restricting to Champ guts. You -did- start the title with 'old guts fly again,' not 'champ guts fly again.' I've bought guts in the classified for Gee Bee, Mosquito (4ch twin,) Hyper Taxi (AS3X,) and the plans I have for them have nothing to do with where they came from. Yes it's required to know the source of the guts, but -only- for -weight- limit reasons. Repurposing and bodging should be totally open ended for both source and destination.

I'm looking forward to more here. Fuses come and go, and brushed motors and servos will eventually wear out, but the bricks are here forever.
I agree that it's limiting, and I did consider that at the start.

The choice of the name has a lot to do with the fact that I can pronounce OGFA, but I cannot pronounce CGFA (or any other variation I was able to come up with). If you think of a more Champ-centric idea for a name, as long as I can pronounce it, etc, etc, I will be happy to change the name and I mention this in Post #1.

If somebody posts anything that's a repurposed UM brick from another plane I won't complain. However, as far as throwing it open to all bricks, it seems that the AR6400 thread (which I linked to in Post #3) already covers that.

It may well turn out that there is no need and no purpose to this particular thread in which case it will simply filter to the back of the forms listing and disappear.

However, it seems to me that all the variations of UM bricks and motors, and trying to sort out their various functions / abilities and specifications can be a little overwhelming. Lots of people have Champs (and the bricks) and it seems to me that it's a good "common denominator" -- if a design will fly with Champ guts, it will also fly with Mustang guts, but the reverse is not necessarily the case.

Cheers,
Gabe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Single-stick Tx design thread
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:24 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,038 Posts
What I like about the Champ brick is that, in smaller spaces, the 3 channel (REM) models seem to work best. Or at least that is what I have most success with -
2013 KRCM Martin's Micro Blackburn Ripon - Indoor (4 min 2 sec)

Martin
Martin Irvine is online now Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:24 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,787 Posts
Martin,
Lovely model mate. I'm truly envious of the space you have in which to fly it.

Since the Vapor brick is basically the same as the Champ brick, and either will use any brushed motor up to 8.5 mm, the options are virtually limitless. Here are a few, all around 18" span that use a Vapor brick and 7 mm motor unit. Plans for all of them are in my plans thread, along with another dozen or so suitable designs.
As for the Zephyr (shown earlier), double the size and you're right on the money. Could even give it a proper wing and fuselage at that size. Now you've set me thinking.....

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Last edited by PETERRAKE; Oct 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:58 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
Joined Jan 2013
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Here are a few, all around 18" span that use a Vapor brick and 7 mm motor unit. Plans for all of them are in my plans thread, along with another dozen or so suitable designs.
Hi Pete,
Thank you for your many designs on that thread and in the mags and other places over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
As for the Zephyr (shown earlier), double the size and you're right on the money. Could even give it a proper wing and fuselage at that size. Now you've set me thinking.....
It would be great if any Champ-derived designs had the option for either built-up or profile fuse to allow for different levels of skills and interests.

Thanks again,
Gabe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Single-stick Tx design thread
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
Model Specs.

Great looking and flying model, Martin.

I always thought that models in this size will end up heavy, (high wing loading), and therefore will need to fly fast (none scale). Your model proved me wrong.

Can you please share with us info on dimensions, weight, wing loading, materials, finish and electronics used.

General rule of thumb to design models of the same size and equipment (and with the same great flying performance) will be greatly appreciated.

Safe landings.

MM
Model Mad is offline Find More Posts by Model Mad
Last edited by Model Mad; Oct 20, 2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:29 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_BigApple View Post
If somebody posts anything that's a repurposed UM brick from another plane I won't complain. However, as far as throwing it open to all bricks, it seems that the AR6400 thread (which I linked to in Post #3) already covers that.
Good point. I retract my idea that the thread should be more open. This -RET- brick is more smaller and lighter than the 4-6ch stuff. It has a different design mindset, and a different target airframe style. It'd be -better- to keep the topic more focused.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:44 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Good point. I retract my idea that the thread should be more open. This -RET- brick is more smaller and lighter than the 4-6ch stuff. It has a different design mindset, and a different target airframe style. It'd be -better- to keep the topic more focused.
I like the idea of this thread, 'RET- Brick'. Looking forward to what comes up. I have a balsa/ foam 'Bushplane' ready to maiden that has a "Champ" brick installed with a P-51 motor and gearbox and a GWS 5043 prop. Don't have any pics yet, but I will get some soon and post them.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:36 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
This has a Champ brick...
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross