Thank you, Pilots
Maj.Duty is offline Find More Posts by Maj.Duty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
719 Posts
G'day Maj,
Tamiya XF 16 is a good paint match for the silver as well.
I would simply use the light weight filler. Deluxe make a very good product specially designed for foam models. I do not know who stocks this stuff in the States.
The product is called Wonderfill.
www.deluxematerials.com

I managed to stove the nose of my F4U in pretty bad but I fixed it with this stuff, another Deluxe product Foam Armour over the top of the fill and then the panel lines cut in with wet and dry paper folded on edge and then painted.
A week later, the model won a trophy for best foam model at show. Peoples choice.

Regards and respect
Daryl
wrongroad is offline Find More Posts by wrongroad
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:27 PM
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Mar 2013
441 Posts
I have used a damp cloth and the better half's steam iron to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomKid View Post
There is an optimum temperature for the hot water method, I think around 87 degrees Celcius that stops the gator skin from happening but it's a tricky position as you'll have to submerge the whole wing which may or may not make the cells expand. If you do a google search you'll find the link to RCgroups thread by the guy who worked out the best temp.

I believe applying ice or a freezing spoon for example quickly after submerging can stop the cells from expanding.

If it was me, I'd be going the spackle method, less risk as I hate the gator skin look, and you can sand it out nicely and touch up with paint.

Good luck

Regards Ben
Diamond Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Diamond Hobby
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:31 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,251 Posts
Yeah Baby!!!!

Flew the pony with the 580kv and prop shims today. Very pleased with the results!!!

It's not a rocket, but then again the real P-51 had a propeller, so I'm not looking for Mach 5 anyway. It's definitely got more punch, slightly noticeable speed increase, better pull in the vertical, but the "gas mileage" improvement was the big bonus!

Static WOT tests showed it peaked at 74 and settled at 71amps. So knowing it would drop amps in the air, I carefully made sure not to go full throttle until one complete pattern. She flew fantastic and after exactly a 5 minute flight I landed with a cool motor, barely warm battery, and 48% juice left!!!! (In a 3600 4S)

Like I said, "not a rocket", but definite performance improvement and less battery drain. Win-win!!!! I now have the set up I wanted.

Thanks LICobra!!!!
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:37 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomKid View Post
There is an optimum temperature for the hot water method, I think around 87 degrees Celcius that stops the gator skin from happening but it's a tricky position as you'll have to submerge the whole wing which may or may not make the cells expand. If you do a google search you'll find the link to RCgroups thread by the guy who worked out the best temp.

I believe applying ice or a freezing spoon for example quickly after submerging can stop the cells from expanding.

If it was me, I'd be going the spackle method, less risk as I hate the gator skin look, and you can sand it out nicely and touch up with paint.

Good luck

Regards Ben
On my old Parkzone Stryker I dipped it in boiling water for 5-10 seconds, then ran it under cold running water for a bit and smoothed the surface with my thumb. Also, Foam Tac - Foam Finish works GREAT!!!!!!

http://foam-tac.com/

Beacon Adhesives sells it but I didn't see it on the product list even though we bought some back in October.
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:25 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Flew the pony with the 580kv and prop shims today. Very pleased with the results!!!

Like I said, "not a rocket", but definite performance improvement and less battery drain. Win-win!!!! I now have the set up I wanted.
Beamer.....I'm glad it worked out for you, now when your ready to have your P-51 fly like a real stallion.........we'll set you up with the 4258 on 6S and then you'll see what WEP really stands for....
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade