HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
RCWorks's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Downer View Post
I would have to call foul on that they test high for self-esteem. Perhaps intelligence within their peer group, but not self-esteem.
Generally addiction and bad decisions are directly related to self-esteem, and self-esteem is generally built within the functional family unit, so I can't imagine anyone in prison would truly have high self-esteem. That doesn't mean they can't bs a test to show they have high self-esteem simply because they are so narcissistic.
I read somewhere that after the criminal does his crime he feels good about it and has a sense of accomplishment... That also describes polititians after doing dirt to the constitution....
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Downer View Post
I would have to call foul on that they test high for self-esteem. Perhaps intelligence within their peer group, but not self-esteem.
Generally addiction and bad decisions are directly related to self-esteem, and self-esteem is generally built within the functional family unit, so I can't imagine anyone in prison would truly have high self-esteem. That doesn't mean they can't bs a test to show they have high self-esteem simply because they are so narcissistic.
Quibble over it if you must but most of them feel just great about themselves and feel they they are far more important and worthy than their victims.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Quibble over it if you must but most of them feel just great about themselves and feel they they are far more important and worthy than their victims.
I think that is called narcissism and is not the result of high self-esteem; it is a false sense of self and an indication of mental illness and more likely extremely low self-esteeem.

But whatever, the whole notion of social ills being caused solely by low self-esteem has been challenged before, but from my experience it holds true.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:53 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
RCWorks's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
On the subject of Self Esteem
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
On the subject of Self Esteem
Humm, good article and I can relate. Although I already recognized the bs of parents always telling the kids they are wonderful when they are not. That doesn't build good self worth. I think the article is right in that it produces narcissism more so than self-worth.

However, the problem of addiction is not effectively addressed in the article.
In fact, it says that people don't need self esteem as much as self control. That is a bs statement; if self control was the answer there would be no addiction. Substances are used and abused in order to escape the sense of self. So I still maintain that addiction is a product of low self worth/esteem.

Well then, that still makes it much more complicated.

I would suggest then that a moral factor is at work, obviously. And that a person of good character is most likely not just a product of high self-esteem, but also humbleness as a result of a belief in something greater than themself, i.e. a belief in a god, etc. In other words, the person is happy with themselves, but knows they are not god. However, the article does point out that people of low self worth are capable of being outstanding individuals. So perhaps sense of self has nothing to do with being a criminal.

I get a feeling that the measures of self worth are not standardized, and that arrogance and narcissism is mistaken for high self worth.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
There is certainly a welfare class which benefits from the war on drugs. The drug lords and their minions immediately come to mind. At one time there were so many drug dollars floating around in Colombia that a Colombian could buy dollars at a discount. But how many law enforcement jobs are dependent on the war on drugs? Is this not another important, and politically powerful welfare class?

We tried prohibition of alcohol, and funded the rise of modern organized crime, lost tax revenue to the point that there was a real problem funding the government, diverted law enforcement from real crime, and created millions of scoff-laws. Aren't we doing the exact same thing with the war on drugs?

Incidentally, I see on TV that misuse of prescription drugs is now the major cause of accidental death in in the USA, having surpassed driving accidents. Maybe on things like Marijuana we can learn something about how drugs should be regulated.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
I am sure many have heard that big pharma, alcohol, and the tobacco industries are opposed to the legalization of marijuana. They don't need the competition messing up their monopolies.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Downer View Post
I think that is called narcissism and is not the result of high self-esteem; it is a false sense of self and an indication of mental illness and more likely extremely low self-esteeem.

But whatever, the whole notion of social ills being caused solely by low self-esteem has been challenged before, but from my experience it holds true.
Not real sure you can draw a line between where high self esteem ends and clinical narcissism begins, but have fun trying.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
On the subject of Self Esteem

Great article.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Downer View Post
I am sure many have heard that big pharma, alcohol, and the tobacco industries are opposed to the legalization of marijuana. They don't need the competition messing up their monopolies.


On that we agree 100%.

The last thing they want is a legal plant that grows like a weed and makes people feel good. They already have a lock on the feel better substance market and do NOT want to lose it.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion the war on drugs ... what a waste logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Sep 07, 2012 12:15 AM
Discussion So ... should we end the war on drugs? logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 47 Aug 21, 2012 07:22 AM
Discussion A couple years old ... but an example of the War on Drugs ... logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 16 May 17, 2012 03:22 PM
Discussion Obama Refuses To End So Called War On Drugs Real Ira Life, The Universe, and Politics 89 Apr 18, 2012 03:29 PM
The war on drugs, lost ? gtstubbs Life, The Universe, and Politics 72 May 09, 2004 09:53 PM