HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
Today I've been working on the servo linkages.

The rudders were the first to be attacked. The control horns are from a Habu 32 hardware package. These are excellent CNC routed glass. I marked where to cut the slot in them (not all the way through) and then drilled a strip of holes with the drill press using the depth limiter.

After "connecting the dots" and removing the extra junk in the slots, the horns fit snugly into the holes. They are set up to have minimal mechanical differential. I will use a Dubro DUB190 ball link on these because of the angles involved with the canted rudder.

Next I located where to make a slot for the servo arm to stick through the stab. This is only a short slot for now, to help position the servo on the plate.

The Spektrum A7010 aileron type servos were aligned inside the access area and the mounts glued in place. Not shown here, but I then cut a slot for the elevator servo horn to exit through the opposite side (bottom) of the stab hatch. The slots on top and bottom were lengthened to allow full 150% rotation of the servo because the rudders are rather small and short-coupled, and my Shrikes have always needed lots of elevator to flare for landing. It's easier to cut the slot now than to try to make it bigger after covering!

Next I'll be working on the ailerons, doing the same thing. Then it will be really ready to verify final fit an start covering.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:01 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
558 Posts
Bob,

Shrikes Forever!!!!

You mentioned in Post #30 that you have templates and the build book for the "40" in PDF format. I would really appreciate them if you could download them to me or put them on this thread. I have a set of plans with no other info. I could muddle through but actually reading the book (and then doing whatever) always seems a better choice.

Thanks,
Nick
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:03 AM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
558 Posts
Andy,

Another super thread ... I've been on vacation and totally out of the loop so I have some catching up to do...

Nick
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
558 Posts
Andy,

Quick questions.... are you using 6 servos... 2 ailerons, 2 elevator, and 2 rudder + nose steering?

Could you post dimensionsfor the elevators? I have the plans for the 40" Shrike.

Nick
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
2 aileron, 2 elevator, 2 rudder (6 A7010's), 1 nose door (E-Flite DS-35), 1 nose steering (Parkzone DSV-130M), E-Flite 10-15 electric retracts on a Y, and maybe 2 more DS-35's for mains doors. And an E-Flite 80A ESC for throttle and separate BEC for controls.

My elevator halves are 6.5" span each, 3" root, 2" tip chord.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:29 PM
nickeast
Stuart,FL
Joined Mar 2009
558 Posts
Andy,

I know you've been doing something .... new pictures please!!!

Nick
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
Actually just making servo mounting plates right now. Son was home for Thanksgiving so we flew instead of building. Maybe this week I'll get some more done.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
989 Posts
Hope your flying weather has been as good as ours, shirtsleeves and light wind!!

Merry Christmas

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
No, we froze our buns off! Fly for 5 minutes, climb into the car to warm back up, fly 5 more, etc.

We had to stop flying when the hatches shrank so much that they wouldn't lock down onto the fuselage any more!

Great weather today - but of course now I'm at work

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
989 Posts
Of course! It is planned that way by all of us retired folks.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:31 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
366 Posts
Did you ever notice that it always rains or snows on the weekend???

took this picture last Sat in north Florida.
notice the grass is still green.

Bill
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
Our grass didn't turn green until Labor Day, when the leftovers from the hurricane broke our drought!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Dec 2009
117 Posts
Well after buying the plans years ago it took finding your Micro Shrike and the 35" & 40" builds to get me motivated to do this plane. I have downloaded all of your pictures and will be incorporating some of the stuff you did to the 35" & 40" builds in to mine, it should come out to be a great plane. The picture shows the progress so far and like you I am using my computer to redraw some of the parts and my CNC router has come in handy for all the wing rib templates and plywood parts. Jeff
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
It looks nice! You've got much longer legs on yours than I have on mine, so you'll be able to swing a much larger prop. I'm going to have to spin a small one real fast but that's not a problem either!

Keep us posted!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2009
117 Posts
Well I thought I had the placement of the landing gear in about the same place as your's on the 35" one but the wing rib placement might be different. I am planning on using either an older Turnigy C3536 1450 or the newer SK3536 1400 with a 8x6 or an 8x8 APC prop. I have had both motors on the older Striker and with the bigger prop and 4 cells it sounds great and screams so it will be interesting to see how the Shrike does. I will post more pictures as I get more done. Jeff
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429