SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,015 Posts
LOL....I don't remember if I told you or not... I used to be a "long haired hippie rock and roller", and even had a band about 10 years ago... I was the rhythm guitarist/lead singer.

Our covers of

China Grove

Black Magic Woman

Hush

It really does seem that people that like to fly/float/build models do have a musical side to them, and also a lot of musicians build model...

But if you are going to get the trumpet out....why not the bag pipes too???

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
LOL....I don't remember if I told you or not... I used to be a "long haired hippie rock and roller", and even had a band about 10 years ago... I was the rhythm guitarist/lead singer.

Our covers of

China Grove

Black Magic Woman

Hush

It really does seem that people that like to fly/float/build models do have a musical side to them, and also a lot of musicians build model...

But if you are going to get the trumpet out....why not the bag pipes too???

SteveT.
Bagpipes are funny things. You either love them or hate them, no middle ground. I'd have to see if people on the lake objected.
Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:15 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,015 Posts
I like them...even though once in a while it can sound like somebody is "strangling a cat"...

I do think the "Play Bag Pipes, go to jail" stickers I have seen on car bumpers are funny (along with the ones for accordions...)

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
30 Posts
It doesn't seem like there is anything you haven't done Mike !

Dave, thanks for the lube info, and its just what I had guessed, your machining skills have eliminated the mess potential ! I went with the graphite packing under compression route to seal the shafts, but that leads to a good bit of friction to seal up really well. I wish I had gone the o-ring route. Mine will look more like and old steam loco, those things are covered with all kinds of lube and bits of water everywhere !

Pete
apointofview is offline Find More Posts by apointofview
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:18 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,369 Posts
Quote:
I like them...even though once in a while it can sound like somebody is "strangling a cat"...

I do think the "Play Bag Pipes, go to jail" stickers I have seen on car bumpers are funny (along with the ones for accordions...)

SteveT.
Don't be bad mouthing accordions.

Chenier, Clifton - Boppin' the Rock - 1955 (2 min 18 sec)
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:26 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview View Post
It doesn't seem like there is anything you haven't done Mike !

Dave, thanks for the lube info, and its just what I had guessed, your machining skills have eliminated the mess potential ! I went with the graphite packing under compression route to seal the shafts, but that leads to a good bit of friction to seal up really well. I wish I had gone the o-ring route. Mine will look more like and old steam loco, those things are covered with all kinds of lube and bits of water everywhere !

Pete
There are things I wanted to do in life, but glad the chance never came up. Like it is said: "be careful what you wish forů" One of my greatest desires and wishes almost came true. Glad it didn't. The person who got that wish died aboard the space shuttle Challenger.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:13 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,015 Posts
Ouch!! Well I certainly feel sorry for all that lost their lives in the shuttle tragedies, but I am certainly happy you are still here with us...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:30 PM
H2oSmokey
Mill Creek, WA
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
asasas
dainw is offline Find More Posts by dainw
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Ouch!! Well I certainly feel sorry for all that lost their lives in the shuttle tragedies, but I am certainly happy you are still here with us...

SteveT.
It was a major turning point in the lives of all who competed for the seat aboard Challenger. The selection process was so alien to a bunch of teachers. But all of us who made it to the national selection conference in Wash. DC thought each had "The Right Stuff and would be the one chosen to fly aboard Challenger. Except for a small handful of the Teacher in Space finalists with current or prior military flight experience, no one fully appreciated the risk involved. Keep in mind that NASA's X-15 rocket planes flew over 200 missions and were never declared "operational", but President Reagan made that declaration after the shuttle's 4th flight! And the shuttle was far more complex than the X-15. I still wanted to go. (The story is on my family website at mjonesfamily.com)

M
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,387 Posts
More Engine Work

This afternoon Dave showed me his current work on the engines. The lubricator piping has been bent to shape and ready to hook up to the engines. Machining of the cylinder drain valve block is ready to begin. There are 4 valves in the valve block, all actuated by a 3-position switch/servo- OFF, 1/2 OPEN and FULL OPEN. Steam and condensate will vent overboard just above the waterline under the engines. It should look great with plumes of steam shooting out from the sides of Preston when I toggle the cylinder drain valves.

Mike on Island Lake
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:19 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,015 Posts
WOW!!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member