HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
Columbus, GA enroute to Tacoma, WA very soon
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
Discussion
Newbie, down and out

Hey guys, new to the site. I just purchased an electric park flyer this morning. I think it was called the Typhoon. I got it all together, was prepared for my first flight, and, I crashed. It broke the nose and I hear a gear slipping in the rear controls. I worked on it a for a little bit, tried to fix some parts, got it working it again and it crashed even more. I spent a little over $200 on the kit and am pretty bumbed that I'm going to have to shell out more cash to fix it if it's even possible to fix. What the heck should I do? Is this common? A wire snapped off of a small computer looking chip that was attached to the motor and it seemed to me that the aeilrons were off from the start...
infantry29 is offline Find More Posts by infantry29
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:41 AM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Was this the Parkzone Typhoon 3D? If so how advanced a flyer are you. I noticed you're new to the forum. Welcome!
Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Dec 28, 2005, 01:05 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
wow, a new PZ Typhoon 3D... as a starter plane... lol

You really should get some sim time. Check out FMS, its a free flight sim you can download for free.
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Dec 28, 2005, 01:09 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Last edited by aeropal; Dec 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:36 AM
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
Yupper, that was the plane I bought. I knew the friggn guy selling it to me was just trying to sell me a plane and didn't care what it was!

I'll get some pics on here this afternoon.

Another question, if I bought a new starter plane, can I attach all the mechanical parts from this plane into a the new one?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Just noticed my controller antenna is broken as well...seems as though the thread at the bottom where it screws inside the controller has snapped, anyway to fix this?
Last edited by infantry29; Dec 28, 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 09:42 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantry29
Another question, if I bought a new starter plane, can I attach all the mechanical parts from this plane into a the new one?
You'll be able to save some mechanical parts. Mostly, electrical parts though. If you can be more descriptive about the symptoms your plane is showing, we might be able to help more. It sounds like you stripped a servo to me.

One of the lesser-known challenges to being a newbie is not being able to recognize when something's wrong. You think you've got it fixed, but something's still jacked-up somewhere. It happened to me too. I'm much sharper for it now.

If you think you're going to have to spend another couple hundo, (and you can afford to) I think you should save the Typhoon for later, and buy a beginner's outfit, but with proper hobby-grade equipment. Be sure to respect frequency rules!

http://user.mc.net/~jzorns/RC_Tips.doc

Good luck!

Jeremy

PS - For what it's worth, I'm building a 3D plane for my 4th one right now. The Typhoon is a 3D plane, and a beginner is in way over his head in that arena.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
Here's a pic of the wire that broke.

I'm so angry and upset that I am out 200 bucks from a guy who just wanted to take my money...getting turned off from this hobby if this is what I can expect.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:39 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,865 Posts
Don't get turned off from the hobby just because some money hungry seller took advantage of you. You may want to address this issue with the seller, after you have had some time to cool off.

I presume that you have had no flying experience. Take $30 and go to Toys-R-Us and buy an AirHogs AeroAce. (No substitutes - all of the other planes at Toys-R-Us aren't worth the money). The AeroAce is a very small (about 9") bi-plane that is very easy to fly, is a lot of fun, and is virtually indestructable. (Check out some of the threads here and on RCUniverse about this plane.) After you have flown it for a while, you can decide whether or not flying is for you. Don't let the bad experience that you have had so far sour you on a great hobby.

If you decide that you enjoy flying, check out the various threads about beginner planes. It sounds like you have several damaged components in the Typhoon, so I would suggest that you pack up the whole deal and set it aside for now. If you get the bug and start flying regularly, you will eventually get enough experience to tackle the Typhoon again. At that time you will have sufficient knowledge to sort out what works and what needs to be repaired/replaced.

Some good beginner planes for you to consider are: Firebird Commander 2; Firebird Freedom; Aerobird Challenger; T-Hawk; Slow-Stick; Slow-V; EasyStar; BeginAir. Let us know if we can be of further help to you.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:55 AM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
Quote:
Here's a pic of the wire that broke.

I'm so angry and upset that I am out 200 bucks from a guy who just wanted to take my money...getting turned off from this hobby if this is what I can expect.
There is no way to avoid crashing. It's going to happen. This hobby cost way more than you expect. Like 3X times at least. But there is nothing like the feeling u get when you got a plane flying nicely and under control in the air.

My R3D plane is pretty durable and does fly slow like a trainer though it's fully capable pattern/3d flyer with 2 to 1 power ratio. However you have to get the plane trimmed out and balanced correctly to fly it nicely and have plenty of sim training. And of course never hit the ground with the prop running. Other than that the plane you could almost get the plane to 200 feet, let go of the control and watch it land on it own and would probably be ok.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Last edited by aeropal; Dec 28, 2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:53 PM
Joined Dec 2005
12 Posts
Cool, how should I go about fixing the motor controller? Would I need to sodder (spelling?) that back on?

Also, for the servo's, how can I break them down to look to see if they are damaged?

Lastly, is there anyway to re attach the antenna that broke?

I'm the kinda guy that won't be able to sleep at night knowing I paid 200+ for something that is broken in my closet. I'd like to fix all this stuff just so I know I have it ready for when I get more skilled. I'm going to get a beginner plane soon.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old Dec 28, 2005, 05:27 PM
Wind is the devil.
Joined Aug 2005
1,030 Posts
Take some advice from someone who started slow and methodically, and still messed up a bit on the way...

1.) Put that plane aside for now. You will be happy in the end.

2.) I wouldnt solder an ESC with no soldering experience. Especially a brushless ESC as they arent cheap.

3.) Read everything you can on this forum...I have taught myself without much of any input aside from asking the members of this forum specific questions. My local shops havent been that helpful.

4.) Buy a 3 channel trainer ARF kit. $150-175 for a good one.

5.) Fly said ARF kit, crash it, break it, learn from the repairs.

6.) Repeat step 5 until you can fly and land without hiccup 10 times in a row.

7.) Remember that trees and wind are the devil.
Argyle is offline Find More Posts by Argyle
Old Dec 28, 2005, 05:32 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Cool, how should I go about fixing the motor controller? Would I need to sodder (spelling?) that back on?

Also, for the servo's, how can I break them down to look to see if they are damaged?

Lastly, is there anyway to re attach the antenna that broke?

I'm the kinda guy that won't be able to sleep at night knowing I paid 200+ for something that is broken in my closet. I'd like to fix all this stuff just so I know I have it ready for when I get more skilled. I'm going to get a beginner plane soon.

Thanks for the help so far!
I'm like that too. The motor contoler(esc) will need to be resoldered. just cut a little bit of that plastic away and solder it. Or you could ask around and see in you know anyone that solders if you dont have experience. The servos can be taken apart by taking out the screws holding the case together after taking off the servo horn. remeber when you get the servo out and are taking it apart to press on the top of the servo so the gears dont go evreywhere
hope that helps some
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Dec 28, 2005, 06:17 PM
Auburn Ga.
Joined Feb 2004
2,068 Posts
I have never seen the inside of one.
Do the servos have 3 wires or six wires.
Milton
Milton is offline Find More Posts by Milton
Old Dec 28, 2005, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Last edited by aeropal; Dec 28, 2005 at 11:54 PM.