HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:15 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
Build Log
S.S. Venture

well, sort of. thats the inspriation and name. but i will be taking many artistic liberties.

using a HK 7mm gearbox and flyzone 1.4 ohm motor for propulsion.
2 ch at the moment.

rudder servo installed. have the hull cut and ready, but im going to finished the innards before i seal her up. and there is the small matter of sealing the inside of the hull.

she has 4 water tight compartments,they go all the way up to the deck.
you got forward storage, the cargo hold, the radio shack, and engineering. the rudder is located in the radio comparment.

no stuffing box, im just going to use a big blob of ear wax at the shaft on the inner hull and a second one on the outer shaft.
still need a prop. 2mm shaft. i think i have an old one that might work. i might add a guard to avoid prop strikes.

any one know how to seal wood with items around the home? im trying to avoid buying anything.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
crane boom

forward crane boom. had to remove the mast so it would not rotate. think i screwed this up, will have to test it later.

cut open the deck for the cargo hold.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:45 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
A friend of mine claimed to have waterproofed a paper hut he made using a margarine that was made of soya oil. He said that soya is a drying oil like linseed.

I believe him but I'm wondering if today's non-hydrogenated oil would work as well.

You might try Johnson's wax since it has shellac in it and wax repels water anyway.

I've got a mink oil based wax for waterproofing boots. You might give something like that a try. Dunno how fast it dries, but it does dry.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:10 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
i do have minwax on hand... i will try that on a small scale first.