Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Help!
CB100 turning CCW on lift.

Hi all,

I've just joined up to the forum. I wasn't sure if I should post in the CB100 hangar or out here. Sorry if I've done the wrong thing. I've always found the info I've needed in here without joining or posting. I'm a bit stumped this time.

I've got a CB100 that I love. I've recently rebuilt it, replacing loads of parts that have taken a beating while I learned to fly it. I've pretty much removed any vibration from it now, it flies really really well...

until...

It's developed a problem where it will fly nicely at a steady throttle but if I lift quickly it'll turn left as if the tail isn't holding properly. Sometimes, this is really severe and will bin the heli into the nearest wall.

I've checked all the usual suspects. (tail boom splits, fly bar/main shaft bends, split blades,worn o-rings, missing c-clips, tail motor wiring, main gear, pinion, fly bar and swash are all moving smoothly...)

Only ideas I have are maybe faulty tail motor (it seems fine when turning in hand) or something's wrong with the gyro itself.

As I've just rebuilt it, I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have so hopefully I can get this sorted while all the parts are still nice and straight.

Thanks for all your previous help in the hangar that's meant I haven't had to post til now.

P.S. I'm cosidering just getting a Genius CP instead but the low flight times puts me off a bit. What's your thoughts?
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The torque from the main rotor of any heli will cause it to rotate CCW. The tail rotor always pushed CW. So, if the heli rotating CCW, the tail isn't working. Could be a bad motor (probable) or bad board.

I had a Genius, but the short flight times got very annoying and it was difficult to find better batteries that did not require changing connectors. So, I sold it and bought a Blade MCPx. I like the convenience of being able to shop for parts at the LHS and better batteries are easy to find. It also gets a lot better flight times, though still not great. Aside from flight time and a little better durability with the MCPx, they are very close. However, if cost is your primary concern, Xheli is selling the Genius for $140... with the Devo 7 TX.

I would point out that if your only experience is a CB100, any CP heli will be a huge step up.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
make sure your tail rotor isn't slipping on the shaft, if ok then might be worth trying a new tail motor (Hobby King). Also check that your main bearing is not worn or in need of some bearing oil. I have a v120d03 that had a tail motor that could spin up but not hold the tail, it had a bad winding. the genius is pretty nice but has a ccw tail drift that is annoying, mini cp may be better but you'll need a devo radio. good luck.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Thanks for your quick replies and good advice!

I've ordered a replacement tail motor. I guess if it isn't that then I'll need a spare sooner or later anyway.

So the logic behind checking the main bearings is presumably that it's dragging the frame round with the torque because the main shaft isn't spinning freely enough? I'll definitely check that out.

Good to hear from someone that's had a GCP that the flight times are annoying. I'll leave it for now and concentrate on getting the CB100 working properly again.

I'm in the UK so parts availability is a bit different to the US. It's actually easier to find Walkera than Blade parts over here. (I use BuzzFlyer, they're really good.)

Thanks again!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I've found the flight times of all of the Walkera micros I owned to be quite annoying. Otherwise, I would be inclined to recommend the Super FP micro. If I had to pick a Walkera model I like best it would be the V200D01, even though it's not very durable. It's a nice heli with brushless motor and decent flight times.

You may want to look at Nine Eagles. They have been releasing quite a few helis that might fit your need. I can't help you much, though. I lost track of them when they changed model naming conventions.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Incidentally, does anyone know if...

...the fact that when I quickly cut the power, the heli also turns to the right. Does this discount the tail motor as the culprit of the lift/left turn problem?

My thinking is that a defective tail motor may well not pick up fast enough to counter the torque when going up... but would it also cause the opposite problem when dropping altitude? i.e not slowing down fast enough. I'm thinking a flakey tail motor will always result in unwanted CCW turns and not unwanted CW turns.

Make any sense?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
422 Posts
my guess is that when you cut the throttle the torque that turns the heli ccw is reduced resulting in the cw rotation and possibly the tail motor is adding to that force.
my genius flight times seem ok ( i don't time them) but it has micro deans on the lipo.
adrenahelin is offline Find More Posts by adrenahelin
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:10 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Unwanted CW rotation when cutting power is due to the tail not slowing fast enough. That's the gyro, or the board. It was outdated long ago. Walkera upgrades boards frequently.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:18 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Thanks again fellas.

The gyro used to be fine so if the new tail motor and bearing lube don't solve it, it's a new board for me.

(If it's a new board then the price is creeping up towards the 'may as well get a GCP' level though.)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
As the brushes wear, they score the commutator, which causes build up or residue between sections and distorts timing. So, it's possible the failure to slow down is entirely motor related. Walkera helis are always a matter of getting used to what makes them tick, more so than other brands.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
hi Bair,
If it's a new cb100, they upgraded the rx to a 2438rx[?#] similar to the 2428rx in the 4#6. Whatever the # is, the new rx is a single board.
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:46 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
As the brushes wear, they score the commutator, which causes build up or residue between sections and distorts timing. So, it's possible the failure to slow down is entirely motor related. Walkera helis are always a matter of getting used to what makes them tick, more so than other brands.
That's good to hear! I was hoping it was just the motor.

What you said about Walkeras is so true! Strangely, I think that's why I like them. The satisfaction of getting it set up properly is what I enjoy. I have an Esky HBV2 too but I never use it because it always flies consistently. Nowhere close to as nice as the CB100 when it's set up properly.

I'm always tweaking the Walkera.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Don't sell the HBFP V2 short. It will teach you a lot more than most of the current self-stabilizing helis that are popular today. If you learn to fly it well, nothing else will present a major challenge. Those old Hiller head FP helis have slow and sloppy response and almost uncontrolled roll; tough to fly.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Don't sell the HBFP V2 short. It will teach you a lot more than most of the current self-stabilizing helis that are popular today. If you learn to fly it well, nothing else will present a major challenge. Those old Hiller head FP helis have slow and sloppy response and almost uncontrolled roll; tough to fly.
Yeah, it was definitely good for learning. Like I say, I just find that there's never much to do with it, maintainance wise (which is a good thing normally). It's technically very forgiving and takes some brutal beatings and comes out flying. Usually just press it all back together.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Forget about brushes. CB 100 has brushless motors.
Jose_Luis_G is offline Find More Posts by Jose_Luis_G