HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Looking for DX8 Setup file..

Anyone got a setup file for the dX8 and UMX Beast 3D? I just got a new radio and would rather load a file than punch all the settings in manually.
jevs is offline Find More Posts by jevs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,206 Posts
Everything is already done. Just charge the batt., bind it and go flying.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevs View Post
Anyone got a setup file for the dX8 and UMX Beast 3D? I just got a new radio and would rather load a file than punch all the settings in manually.
It's on the Spektrum Community web site. Go there register your DX8 and you can check for updates to your firmware and while your at it click on the model presets tab and you can download it from there.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Guys where can I buy the 3D Beast in the UK? I have looked everywhere!!
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Just the UMX Beast file on Spektrums site (not the 3D one), but I guess it is probobly close to the same anyway, so I will use that one.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Just the UMX Beast file on Spektrums site (not the 3D one), but I guess it is probobly close to the same anyway, so I will use that one.
Nope, can't use the file on their website. I just read this on the "read me" file and it says not to use it

Fly the Ultra Micro Extreme Beast*** the way world famous RC pilot and designer Quique Somenzini does, with his personal settings!
DISCLAIMER
Attention- Safety First!
The model setup files provided here can greatly simplify setting up complex programming in your DX8 for your favorite aircraft. Because mechanical setups can vary on some types of models, it is your responsibility to ensure all controls are operating in the proper direction and within the manufacturers recommended throws. You should also take time to understand the anticipated flight characteristics for each flight mode that might be enabled.

Works with the original UMX Beast.
Item number: EFLU4080
*** DO NOT USE WITH THE UMX Beast with AS3X Technology!
Item Number: EFLU4850 (DONíT USE)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,108 Posts
Quote:
There's nothing to do except if you want dual rates. For just that it's easier to just set it up on the radio than it is to find a file somewhere, download it, put it on a memory card, stick it in the DX8 and load it up. I mean... you can set up sual rates in 30 seconds!

Personally, I don't use DR so there's nothing to do. Just bind and fly.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
This is a great thread. I just ordered the Beast. I have also ordered a DX6i, just so I can fly these BNF's. I threw a Nano CPX in with the order too, for good measure, lol. If I like these AS3X micros, I'll get 'em all! I am new to all this. I got a Futaba 6ex just about 2 months ago, so now I wish I would have just gotten a DX8 in the first place I guess. But as I don't need 8 channels I went with the 6. Can't wait to get my Beast in the air. I am now flying a Crack Pitts Biplane and I like it very much. But wind is a real problem for me with that foamy.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
My advice to newcomers:

If you are serious about this hobby, buy all the transmitter you can afford. You will thank yourself later. It is surprisingly easy to use up 7 or more channels in a plane, and what seemed like plenty of memories can get crowded real quick, once you start buying more planes & branching out into more sophisticated models.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, MO, Union
Joined Sep 2012
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
This is a great thread. I just ordered the Beast. I have also ordered a DX6i, just so I can fly these BNF's. I threw a Nano CPX in with the order too, for good measure, lol. If I like these AS3X micros, I'll get 'em all! I am new to all this. I got a Futaba 6ex just about 2 months ago, so now I wish I would have just gotten a DX8 in the first place I guess. But as I don't need 8 channels I went with the 6. Can't wait to get my Beast in the air. I am now flying a Crack Pitts Biplane and I like it very much. But wind is a real problem for me with that foamy.
I bought a DX6i also about a month and half ago. Guess what. I now have bought a DX8. Much nicer radio, although the DX6 will do most things you need. I just like the feel of the dx8 better, and it does have some features that are better even if you never use the extra 2 channels.

P.S. The nano CPX is great
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Yes, I am sure that I will be getting an 8 channel or more in the future. But right now I am barely using 4 channels. I do agree though with your advice. I really should have just bought an 8 channel in the first place. For now I'm all set.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,992 Posts
I have never used more that 5 channels. I started with the Dx6i, and I was thrilled with that radio, you have to start somewhere, and it sure beat the RTF transmitters that come with the eflite products. After a year or so I upgraded. Man the Dx8 is so much nicer all the way around than the 6i. Smoother, more comfortable, bigger screen and backlit for old eyes, rubber side grips for those humid days and a user friendly interface.

Flying BNF planes like the Beast and EPP and Balsa 3D planes mean I will never use 8 channels. I just got into gliders so I guess maybe there is a chance.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
For setting up this plane on a DX6i, it's dead easy. Just set the throws to about 95% and 15-25% expos as a newbie for the plane and fly. Very spunky.

You can always change the expo later. I heard that 95% is the recommended max since AS3X tends to potentially overthrow the servos in extreme situations.

Run a bind like a standard micro and you're flying!!!

If you wish a little less throw for the first flight, set throws at around 70-75% on all three axes, and run around 6 minutes as first flight, esp. if you're running 180s or so.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
I will most certainly get a DX8 in the near future, probably next spring after fall/winter. My DX6i has run for 3 years with no issues, and I love it!!!

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I have never used more that 5 channels. I started with the Dx6i, and I was thrilled with that radio, you have to start somewhere, and it sure beat the RTF transmitters that come with the eflite products. After a year or so I upgraded. Man the Dx8 is so much nicer all the way around than the 6i. Smoother, more comfortable, bigger screen and backlit for old eyes, rubber side grips for those humid days and a user friendly interface.

Flying BNF planes like the Beast and EPP and Balsa 3D planes mean I will never use 8 channels. I just got into gliders so I guess maybe there is a chance.
A full-house sailplane needs a minimum of 7 channels for full-span camber, full-span reflex, flap-aileron mixing, and crow. Add spoilers and a towline-release & you're up to 9 already. With my old Futaba 8UAF 8-channel rig, I ran out of channels on a few of my scale planes. That's one of the reasons why I went with the 10CHP when I decided to teach myself to fly CP helis & needed a new tx. It's also module-based, which means that I can fly pretty much anything out there today with just one rig, and that I'll be able to fly whatever they come up with down the road without having to buy a new one.

Some of the other things that come in handy with the more advanced transmitters are flap delay, channel sequencing, advanced mixing functions with 5 and even 7-point mixes, the ability to select various wing & tail configurations, fully-assignable switches and channels (no more being stuck with the gear on ch 5), and telemetry. Plus, most of them have ball-bearing gimbals and high-cycle-life pots & switches, so they'll still be working perfectly 20 years down the road.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typos