HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
Discussion
2nd plane

I know this is common, just save me if i've headed for disaster. i have a super cub lp, love it, plan to fly it forever. i find myself wanting something much sportier. I've been given the recs about the t28, the t34, for second planes. I'm not totally nuts about either but i will get one of those if thats just hands down the best thing to do. What i do like are the mini ultra sticks that some of the guys at our field have. they seem simple, tough as nails, and they seem very sporty and fast, and also on the cheaper end to outfit/maintain. I am stricly into electric stuff. I like to be able to fly anywhere at any time and not be required to use a flying field, so i realize that that exludes some of the ultra high performing planes.

I've been told that the MUS is great for a performance plane and as a slow flyer, so this makes me think that it would offer the anytime any place versatility.
what else should i be looking at?
set me straight if you would.
thanks
aarongreen123 is offline Find More Posts by aarongreen123
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
I don't believe an Ultra Stick is a suitable second plane. They look simple, but they're barely more stable and self-correcting than 3D aerobatic planes. You might get away with it if you're flying your Cub on ailerons, but it would be a challenge.

The T-28 is a much better choice as it has some self-correcting tendencies. If you don't like the looks, consider a Mini Pulse XT - it's a lot sleeker than the T-28, but will be much easier to fly than a Stick.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
understood, and thanks for your input. Would the t-34 from e-flite be along the same lines of the t-28?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Yep. Take on the Ultra Stick as plane #3. I'd stick to the T-28 for plane #2 and forget the Pulse XT unless you like the looks of it.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10 Posts
I recomended the T 28 to a chap at our field as his second plane also after his piper cub , he loved it they do fly like a trainer should...ideal as your first low wing
edward brechbuhl is offline Find More Posts by edward brechbuhl
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
Built For Comfort
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
691 Posts
Quote:
...consider a Mini Pulse XT - it's a lot sleeker than the T-28, but will be much easier to fly than a Stick.
My current main squeeze is a Mini Pulse, and I have flown the Mini Ultra Stick of another flyer. IMO their flight characteristics are very similar, the Mini Pulse is most assuredly not easier to fly than the Stick.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
seems like the t-28 is the clear choice in this thread, and about 1000 other threads like it. i have been watching some vids on youtube, i have no problem with the looks of the plane. i am concerned that i will get bored with it though, seems to be lacking in power? this is only my impression based on watching the vids, i guess i should just look for one used and get used to it, and then if its becomes boring i can offload it and move on. thanks a lot for the advice. any issue using a dx5e radio for the t28? do they come up on here used often?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
You will not get bored with the PZ T-28. You will move onto tougher to fly, bigger and more expensive planes, but you will learn enough on the T-28 to build up that confidence.

I think you will find the T-28 plenty fast enough for your second plane! As you build up experience, the T-28 is the most versatile of the PZ warplane styles for acrobatics.

A used Spectrum Dx5e Tx/Rx will be fine. Sooner or later you will want to move to a computer radio (to store a number of planes to fly off the one Tx). The Spectrum Dx6i (10 plane memory) is fine in this respect if you can source one cheap enough.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
There should be no problems at all with using a DX5 with anything that Parkzone and Spektrum makes. They were essentially made for each other by their parent company, Horizon Hobby. If I were you, Id see if I could snap up a good used DX7. You'll have all the radio room to grow you could want for several years. I flew a DX7 for 3 seasons myself before upgrading.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz