New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
6,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampo View Post
Been thinking about getting the Hobbyking bundle for this frame. and saw this post, looks like a nice put together kit. I'm having a hard time finding much info on the FC board. also I'm not the best with the soldering iron. I can do bigger electrical connections for like motors and things like that fine. just scared of circuit boards lol, would there be a lot of soldering involved with this bundle?
The ESCs have the bullets already soldered onto the motor connections. The ESC power connections are tinned so you have to install the supplied bullets or solder them together if you'r not going to use the wiring harness. We do offer a pin soldering service for the boards:

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...g-service.html

Our FCBs............ look at the picture of this one and it will give you a hint :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:49 AM
Joined Feb 2011
6,015 Posts
UPDATE: OK guys, we were hoping to have these in by the 18th in order to get them out in time for Christmas. Today was the last day to ship out to make it in time for Christmas so it doesn't look like that's going to happen

The hold-up was that Emax ran out of bullet connectors for our customized ESCs. I told Emax to screw the customization and send out half our order with plain-Jane ESCs and ship the other half of our order with the customized ESCs (shorter servo leads, color-coded heat shrink, and bullet connectors).

If you want your bundle as soon as they arrive, we can ship them out with the plain ESCs. If our bullet connectors come with this order we'll include them and you just have to solder them on. For those of you who pre-ordered and want the bullet connectors already soldered on. That order will ship out to us next week and take about 1-2 weeks to arrive.

I've also ordered landing gear for the 300 frames for those that want to retrofit your 250: http://www.emaxmodel.com/views.asp?hw_id=1616

The newly-announced BLHeli ESCs by Emax. As you can guess I wanted to hog-tie Emax when this was announced but as it turns out the hardware components of the current 12 amp ESCs and the new BLHeli 12 amps ESCs is the same. The main difference will be the newly-released BLHeli will have newer firmware. The existing 12 amp ESCs have always been BL Heli (despite SimonK advertising).

We also have some 2.8mm lens, 25mm PZ0420M wide voltage FPV cameras on their way, and LHCP helicals. We will be carrying some IBCrazy stuff but I'm waiting for mushroom caps for their Airblades as I'm a big proponent of having protection on these high-end antennas. We also have some FlySky FS-i6 transmitter/receiver combos coming in.

If any of you want to add to your existing pre order any of the above items to save on shipping , just send us a note.

Thanks.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by Daryoon
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,127 Posts
Sweet Massive. Working to bring the powerful DIY options to everyone. Cheers.

I read that IBcrazy warranty his product for life. Including crash damage. Will you be passing on his warranty to your customer? Or will they have to take it up with IBCrazy?
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 26, 2014, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2011
6,015 Posts
Hey D,

If IBC supports us handling warranty exchanges then we'll gladly exchange directly. I still prefer waiting for caps as it wastes time and money for both consumer\vendor. I know I crash just about every other flight.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 26, 2014, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Joined Mar 2012
1,493 Posts
caps?
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Dec 26, 2014, 09:29 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,127 Posts
The covering for the antennas.

I also saw that RCLogger had some 5.8Ghz antennas. With the caps. I wonder how well those performs and perhaps they would be more affordable versions compared to IBCrazy?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
6,015 Posts
It's been quite awhile since I've updated this thread. Most of you have been keeping up to date in the Emax Bundle Thread.

Some new things coming down the line:

Massive Acro Blackbox FCB: Basically an Acro board with 16mb flash for Blackbox data recording feature

SP Racing MOF3: A new racing FCB designed by Dominic, AKA Hydra (initial developer for Cleanflight). More details to follow.

CleanHawk PDB: Showing the Emax frame some more love.

I want to thank you all for patience with the website. I know about the 404 errors using the category links and some email issues. I've removed the category sidebar link block and put all relevant links in the top horizontal menu. I've been testing it and if you get an initial 404 error, clicking it again seems to fix it. It's a workaround until I can upgrade the software.

If you don't receive a response using the in-shop messaging system, try using support@massiverc

Finally, I'm moving to South Dakota. MassiveRC will still run out of Florida for now. I will try and start a 2nd shop in SD but it's unknown if I'll move main operations out there or try to have both shops running to support the East\West coast from each.

I'll reply to the other threads later this afternoon.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Romeo aka MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 17, 2015, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by siriusflier
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
3,159 Posts
Good luck in South Dakota Romeo. Should be a major change in scenery and weather.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Mar 17, 2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by Jefte
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Hey D,

If IBC supports us handling warranty exchanges then we'll gladly exchange directly. I still prefer waiting for caps as it wastes time and money for both consumer\vendor. I know I crash just about every other flight.
After speaking with Alex, he recommends people not use the "caps" or radomes. He states there is a greater chance of breaking lobes off when using the caps. He literally said, "Crash, bend your lobes back, and fly. If you lose one of the 5 lobes, just bend one over and fly. It's optimal with 5 lobes, but it'll work with 4."

He also said that most antenna caps, like those found in Spironets or Immersion antennas use a type of plastic that is not RF transparent. His caps use a different type of plastic, and are intentionally shaped to resonate the signal. So that explains why his radomes have their shape.

If you break your antenna completely, email VAS (video aerial systems, IBcrazy's company) and they will tell you to mail your antenna in for repair or replacement. Alex personally replaced my antenna at CFL FPV. Handed me another antenna straight up, and even let me keep the broken one with some tips on reassembling it if I ever find the bottom half of the SMA connector. I watched him replace a brand-new airblade antenna a friend of mine bought and crashed that day. I know 2 other people on these forums that have also broken their antennas and gotten replacements.

That high price tag gets you some good customer support, and excellent antennas.
Jefte is offline Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
6,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefte View Post
After speaking with Alex, he recommends people not use the "caps" or radomes. He states there is a greater chance of breaking lobes off when using the caps. He literally said, "Crash, bend your lobes back, and fly. If you lose one of the 5 lobes, just bend one over and fly. It's optimal with 5 lobes, but it'll work with 4."

He also said that most antenna caps, like those found in Spironets or Immersion antennas use a type of plastic that is not RF transparent. His caps use a different type of plastic, and are intentionally shaped to resonate the signal. So that explains why his radomes have their shape.

If you break your antenna completely, email VAS (video aerial systems, IBcrazy's company) and they will tell you to mail your antenna in for repair or replacement. Alex personally replaced my antenna at CFL FPV. Handed me another antenna straight up, and even let me keep the broken one with some tips on reassembling it if I ever find the bottom half of the SMA connector. I watched him replace a brand-new airblade antenna a friend of mine bought and crashed that day. I know 2 other people on these forums that have also broken their antennas and gotten replacements.

That high price tag gets you some good customer support, and excellent antennas.
I remove the mushroom caps on my RX for better reception but I guess we can use Carcynic's meter to see how much attenuation the caps actually cause. I don't see how the caps can increase lobe breakage.......care to explain? If they increase the chances of lobe breakage then why does Alex even offer them? Clearly Alex cares about the quality\reception of his antennas and isn't into popular trends, so then why would he even offer mushroom caps if they increase the chances of breakage?

The problem isn't the support\quality. The problem is the time waiting to ship your antenna to VAS and then receiving one back. It's not to imply VAS is in any way slow to send warranty replacements back either. I guess one way to mitigate the wait is to offer pro-active replacements. You file a warranty ticket, your card is charged, you're sent out a replacement, your card is credited once broken antenna is received back.

So the question is: how much attenuation is created by the caps, do they really increase the chances for damage, and are those detractors more inconvenient than having to wait at least a week for a replacement (assuming 2-3 day turnaround each way).
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Joined Mar 2012
1,493 Posts
I think there's a little give and take. You give up a little time and you get a replacement. If you need it better, then buy two tx antenna.
cyberbillp is offline Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Mar 18, 2015, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by Jefte
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I remove the mushroom caps on my RX for better reception but I guess we can use Carcynic's meter to see how much attenuation the caps actually cause. I don't see how the caps can increase lobe breakage.......care to explain? If they increase the chances of lobe breakage then why does Alex even offer them? Clearly Alex cares about the quality\reception of his antennas and isn't into popular trends, so then why would he even offer mushroom caps if they increase the chances of breakage?

The problem isn't the support\quality. The problem is the time waiting to ship your antenna to VAS and then receiving one back. It's not to imply VAS is in any way slow to send warranty replacements back either. I guess one way to mitigate the wait is to offer pro-active replacements. You file a warranty ticket, your card is charged, you're sent out a replacement, your card is credited once broken antenna is received back.

So the question is: how much attenuation is created by the caps, do they really increase the chances for damage, and are those detractors more inconvenient than having to wait at least a week for a replacement (assuming 2-3 day turnaround each way).
The way he put it, energy has to be dissipated somewhere. With the cap on, you are more likely to rip all the lobes off.

Imagine taking off a turtleneck sweater. That messed up hair you know have, those are bent or broken lobes.

He sells them because of the demand.

Replacement planning is easy. Just keep a cheap set of antennas handy while you send the good ones in for repair/replacement.

You should see how bent up Alex's personal antennas are... They have been bent back so many times. The arc of each lobe is more of a serrated edge.
Jefte is offline Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by Rook62
Team Crash
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Apr 2014
2,188 Posts
I have a set of BB ultras that I have been using for over a year. The cloverleaf after time became pretty beat up and then stopped working from a break in the stem that I couldn't fix. Sent it back to Alex and he replaced it with a new cloverleaf with one of his caps on it. I figured I would try it out and I haven't noticed the signal being any weaker and I have had a couple of good crashes with no damage to the antenna other than being bent back. I would rather not have the cap on there, but it seems to be protecting it while providing the same amount of good reception, so no real reason to take it off.
MO good luck on your move. It's a pretty big jump in location, but I wish you the best. At least you're getting closer to Cali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefte View Post
The way he put it, energy has to be dissipated somewhere. With the cap on, you are more likely to rip all the lobes off.

Imagine taking off a turtleneck sweater. That messed up hair you know have, those are bent or broken lobes.

He sells them because of the demand.

Replacement planning is easy. Just keep a cheap set of antennas handy while you send the good ones in for repair/replacement.

You should see how bent up Alex's personal antennas are... They have been bent back so many times. The arc of each lobe is more of a serrated edge.
Rook62 is online now Find More Posts by Rook62
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:41 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,127 Posts
Maybe it's due to this comment:

Quote:
He also said that most antenna caps, like those found in Spironets or Immersion antennas use a type of plastic that is not RF transparent.

His caps use a different type of plastic, and are intentionally shaped to resonate the signal. So that explains why his radomes have their shape.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by harrison_robert8
Australia, SA, Oodnadatta
Joined Apr 2015
9 Posts
I tried the 14dbi patch Ant and got very bad results much worse than a stock unit.
harrison_robert8 is offline Find More Posts by harrison_robert8