SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Retired C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
450 Posts
Discussion
BVM T-33 build

Ok all, I have been sifting through this forum for some time now and have liked what I have seen as far as advances in EDF technology. I was able to pick up a BVM T-33 for a rediculous price and it is in the stage of rebuild (I believe it was an older IC DF) that it needs all new wood in the fuse. I called BV yesterday with my parts list and was informed that the kit has been completely re-designed around EDF. The issue at hand is, if I want to go EDf, I need to order all the EDF parts and if I want to go turbine, I need to order the "older" T-33 parts for that setup.

I have been building/flying turbine jets since 2001, and have never built a large scale EDF. I am a little hesitant based on a few reasons. The first is that the jet calls for a P-70, and one of those new is right around 2k. The power system from BV is the 12s setup of the EVF. That setup, with packs is almost the same $$ as a P-70. The second concern is support equipment. I have never owned mega-LIPO chargers and such and am concerned that with that investment, the price of the jet will surpass that of a turbine setup.

The third concern is flight times. What are you all getting for flight times on this setup? I really like the look/sound and price of the Dyn-e-max setups. Are these comparable to the power of the EVF? What about it's flight times??

I know that it is a lot of questions, but any input is appreciated!

Thanks, Nick
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,103 Posts
go turbine!!!!!!!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2005
450 Posts
Haha-that was quick! Any specific reason? Thanks!
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,103 Posts
big reason, if the edf setup is going to cost what the turbine setup will, the choise is obvious...and if you have no flying field restrictions...and you already have all the turbine support equipment.....your going to get over 50% more flight time, higher speed, perfect sound..and if you know turbines well, its a no brainer for you. i know thats what id do if i were in your shoes.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by Ron101
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,323 Posts
Hey Nick,
How have you been bud. First off we don't do large EDF because it's cheap we do it for the love of it. With that said there is some ways you could save some dollars.
The other thing is I don't find it completely fair to include the cost of lipos when comparing the two... so you include the cost of kero and turbine oil for 3 years when you add up a turbine setup

I'll put together a long winded PM for you...lol... with some ideas and tips

your a great builder I say go for it... with the right setup you should get 6:00 to 7:00 minutes

I remember this one from a few years back and thought it went great!

T-33 BVM EDF -- France VFR JetTeam (3 min 31 sec)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:45 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,323 Posts
There is also a great video of Bob Violet flying his F-80 back in 08... power and flight times are even better now.

Here is the link, the video is half way down the page, you have to download it:

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/bvm_videos.htm
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:02 PM
Joined May 2005
450 Posts
Ron and Corsair-thanks for the prompt responses! I don't currently have any field restrictions but I am moving to San Antonio in January and I am not sure of Texas' restrictions. I have and always will live turbines,but thought I might try my hand at EDF. Before the T-33 showed up, the C-5 project was going to be my first large EDF. With that I will be going with a 4x Wemo midi setup (mostly for the "Galaxy sound".

I think I may call Bob and ask to change the parts to a turbine setup, as I do have all the support equipment already and it will be a LONG time till the Galaxy is ready to fly. Hopefully Uncle Bob doesn't get too pissed at me:-()

Thanks for the help in determining the (possible) outcome!
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:18 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,323 Posts
One last thing just to get you thinking...

I know you like good sound like me, I love the Dynamax that's what I had in my TJ A-4. I'm building one now for my Jet Legend Hawk they sound really sweet... I'm going to use two in my yellow F-18.

With that said, I don't think it will work all that well with the smaller inlets you have.

I would talk to Tam before you give up on E- Power... Tams TJ 120 with the 1915 1y Neu motor would be a sweet setup. Great sound and performance.
It's $1050 plug and play, it's a dynamax rotor cut down a little
Link:http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=551

You could use the lighter and cheaper Neu Jet 6s 35c 6200 mah packs... they are $164.95 a pack so $ 330 for a set to give you 12s...
link: http://www.neumotors.com/store/page10/page12/index.html

Tam could help you with ducting or you can mod you stock duct... a small adaptor will make the TJ-120 drop in where a Viofan goes.

With todays chargers you can charge 12s 6200 packs in 25 to 30 minutes...
The best charger out there is the Power Lab 8, I love mine. You can charge as many packs at once as you want... you could put 4x 6s 6600 packs on at 40 amps and have them all done in 35 minutes.
It's $240
Link: http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...o-PowerLab-8_5

you will also need a power supply, get a Iota 55 amp from progressive rc for $159 bucks: http://www.progressiverc.com/index.p...er-supply.html

Texas has lots of burn bans so it may be worth it to get more flight time in...
Lots of other fans you could run. If you want to BS about it PM me and I'll give you my number. It's the future bud, get on board

Sorry to hear your leaving California, good luck with the move

later
Ron
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,854 Posts
i'd love to do a BVM or Tom Cook T-33 i'd use the dynamax /xps pro set up ....if 12s was'nt enough id go 14s
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by racer1
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
842 Posts
Doesnot matter which way you go, the big question is does your T-33 still have the under camber built into the fuselage?

Does the Plane have flaps.

This is important no matter which way you go. I have one that does not have flaps and has the undercaber make into the fuselage.

I have been informed by BVM reps that if you do not update the BVM T-33, by filling in the undercamber and add flaps, you will have landing issues.

The undercamber will cause the plane to bounce on landing and the hip hop skip will cause damage.

Hope this helps. A T-33 is just too pretty not to do it right.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined May 2005
450 Posts
Thanks,the under camber has been filled.......
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:46 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
24,103 Posts
i know what undercamber in a airfoil is...but in the fuse? any pics???
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by pbusa1400
Team Horizon/ BVM jets
Joined Apr 2006
797 Posts
http://www.bvmjets.com/jetkits/T33/wing_mod.htm
pbusa1400 is offline Find More Posts by pbusa1400
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
947 Posts
Panther,
Just be careful; If you go high power EDF and you don't have any real experience you need to be very mindful that you are essentially dealing with arc welder capable equipment.

Ron, Pablo, Larry Wolfe, Bob Ruff, .......anyone........ can tell you that the current levels in BIG EDF's can really injure fingers and vaporise equipment.

As Ron said, this isn't really an if/then equation, so much as just a different passion.

-Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Nov 04, 2011, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by gunradd
KingtechUSA
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2009
2,903 Posts
BV changed his from turbine to electric right before Ejets and it flew very well. The detail was unreal. It had great vertical and good flight times.

But if you can fly at a field that does not care if you fly turbine then it would be the way to go.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd