New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by Mustang_Mark
Joined Dec 2014
52 Posts
The retract market is BOOMING!

Well....

I did find the problem with my faulty main retract. The assembly has an UP and DOWN limit switch that shows the position of the gear. The positive wire was no longer connected to the SEALED pc board on the switch.

Still no response from FMS on my issue, so I decided to spend more of my coveted Beer Money on a new set of upgraded retracts, and landing gear set.

I really like this plane, but there has been more downtime then fight-time with this purchase - and Saturday would have been a stellar day to fly here in WInd-iana. Oh well.

Another recent upgrade was a LiPo telemetry meter that gives me real time audio voltage readings with my Taranis Radio. Huge props to Jermo for his recommendation of this radio when I was in the market. If you haven't checked out this radio, you should. It does anything you can think of as far as user control, and functionality, and all for around $200.

Keep the shiny side up Gentlemen,

Mark
Mustang_Mark is offline Find More Posts by Mustang_Mark
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by jermo
Pantera .61 - Yeah Baby!
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Nov 2006
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Mark View Post
Well....

I did find the problem with my faulty main retract. The assembly has an UP and DOWN limit switch that shows the position of the gear. The positive wire was no longer connected to the SEALED pc board on the switch.

Still no response from FMS on my issue, so I decided to spend more of my coveted Beer Money on a new set of upgraded retracts, and landing gear set.

I really like this plane, but there has been more downtime then fight-time with this purchase - and Saturday would have been a stellar day to fly here in WInd-iana. Oh well.

Another recent upgrade was a LiPo telemetry meter that gives me real time audio voltage readings with my Taranis Radio. Huge props to Jermo for his recommendation of this radio when I was in the market. If you haven't checked out this radio, you should. It does anything you can think of as far as user control, and functionality, and all for around $200.

Mark

Mark, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Mustang. I've only got 1 flight on mine so far but many cycles on the gear. I'm hoping I don't experience issues. My mom has been very sick from cancer treatments and is just now recovering (6wks chemo/radiation), she spent 2 weeks in the hospital post treatment due to complications.

On the Taranis, it's a very nice system but the latest B version MAY have some type of may have an issue with the TX antenna. There's only been a few reports on the forums but I wanted to let you know. There is the typical RSSI warning that is typical when you are very close to the model. There was a bug that generated the warning each time telemetry reset for whatever reason. IF at any time you get a transmitter warning that's different. Always do a range check. There are thousands of the new Taranis B out there with only a handful of reported issues. Out of the handful nobody has any real data so it COULD be a mod done to the TX by the owner or such.... I'm just being on the safe side and sharing.. Do a proper range check and you should be fine.
Jer
jermo is offline Find More Posts by jermo
Old Apr 13, 2015, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by Aussieace246
Adric
Australia, SA, Craigmore
Joined Jun 2013
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Mark View Post
Well....

Mark
Hey Mark. I recently also had retract issues, both ceased working within a 10min period whilst doing some repairs on the bench.
Try contacting FMS on Facebook!!! They got back to me and sent me a pair of retracts at a discounted price!! they were fantastic!!!
Aussieace246 is offline Find More Posts by Aussieace246
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Drifter.Rise
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Howdy again folks. It's been a few months since I had anything to say. I come with video footage that may or may not be awesome; chasecam footage of the Ferocious Frankie. I'm going to provide a "little" bit of lead-in since I think it's needed.

One chilly but mostly calm day in mid March, I'm at the field with my 1.7m FMS Mustang alongside a few other pilots, one of which is flying a 4S FPV plane with camera pan-and-tilt synced to his video goggles. Naturally, he starts trying to catch footage of me in the air. It doesn't have as much close-in with flaps-down footage as we intended, but it has some. Our much better close-in formation flights didn't fit on the memory card. That really stung.

The Problem:
The issue is that I unwittingly break my flight rules. When he sent me the video, I curled up into a shaking ball of horror, disgust, and self-hatred, and was screaming at the screen to "Turn around!" Next to this park is a 60 mph road leading into/out of the city. I had horribly overestimated its distance from me on the other side of the bushes and trees, and had been flying right over it; it's excruciatingly obvious during the landing. Now, I was sitting right next to the FPV guy chit-chatting and I was under the impression that I was doing okay; my fault. The short answer is that now I know better and won't fly that far in that direction ever again.

The Video:
The video will show the initial climb from takeoff, and circling with a variety of loops, rolls, inverted flight, flaps-down coasting, lowering of the landing gear, and a less than perfect landing. Mostly the 4S chaser plane is struggling to keep up. The video is text annotated in YouTube, mostly from my perspective of watching the replay. Regarding the landing, an elderly gentleman clearly didn't hear me call out my landing nor did he announce his own, and thus did three things: 1) He also landed, 2) He did it at the same time and place in the short grass, and 3) He did it going in the opposite direction. As a result, I veered to the right and into the tall weeds and got hung up. But the plane is fine.

FMS P-51D 1700mm FPV Chase Footage (8 min 19 sec)
Drifter.Rise is offline Find More Posts by Drifter.Rise
Last edited by Drifter.Rise; Yesterday at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by cmk-2
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
What a great video! Both pilots are fantastic! The FMS P-51 sure looks like the real thing at times. Thanks for posting and don't beat yourself up you didn't know how close you were to the highway and now you do. What scared me was how close you got to the trees on final.
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by Drifter.Rise
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Thanks . From my perspective I was fine regarding the trees, but I admit the overhead perspective definitely made it appear a lot closer.

Edit: I should have probably clarified earlier, but the post was already wordy. That 60 mph road cuts through a largely or at least previously undeveloped area (which is where I live, incidentally), and only goes about 2 miles, with 2 stoplights along it. It used to be just a regular two-way road, one lane each way, with only surges of activity when the light in the distance turned green. It leads to other fairly low traffic areas. But they just finished expanding the road to accommodate all the new construction; most of the buildings in the footage are brand new (and empty) or still under construction.

But pretty soon it'll be a "busy" road, and my mistake will have been worse. Mostly I'm upset that I so badly judged the distances. The FPV guys, for their part, have agreed to some no-fly zones now that the trees and fields have been replaced with warehouses and other structures in the past ~8 months over winter.
Drifter.Rise is offline Find More Posts by Drifter.Rise
Last edited by Drifter.Rise; Yesterday at 10:42 PM.
Old Today, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by Aussieace246
Adric
Australia, SA, Craigmore
Joined Jun 2013
721 Posts
Epic video Drifter!!! Loved the footage
Aussieace246 is offline Find More Posts by Aussieace246