SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2015, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by RCS1313
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
At $11 each they are not expensive: http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-ele...shafts-type-a/

Buy a Castle 10A BEC for $20 and you'll be set.
My F 18 has not been flown yet, but one of my retracts decided to fry itself after a few cycles. The little PC board heated up, burned a hole in the bottom of the retract body, and melted a hole in the foam below it....no real reason for it...altho

the rest of the story...I managed to screw up putting an EC-5 connector together and got the polarity reversed...a micro second arc fried the $130.00 ESC and an Orange 8 channel RX...probably had something to do with the retract smoking itself later ...don't know.

I have an HK (Starmax) I think, that all three retract servos smoked themselves after a couple of flights for no reason . Electric retracts are niffy, but are not without their faults...
RCS1313 is offline Find More Posts by RCS1313
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by tdford
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,650 Posts
Ahh, so you smoked your ESC as well. That stinks.

Did all 3 retracts die?

You might be able to find a used 130A Hobbywing ESC, otherwise you'll probably have to buy one from HobbyKing or HobbyPartz.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:52 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
184 Posts
I was able to get a the Hobby Wing 130 amp ESC replacement from Motion Hobbies. Costly mistake as the Orange receiver quit working also.

As to the retracts, no just one of the retracts failed several days after installing the new ESC,, have not had a problem with the other two.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:56 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
184 Posts
D-day for maiden voyage should take place either tomorrow or Friday. Weather is going to be in the low 70's but wind will be the deciding factor. Let ya'all know how it goes...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 02:45 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,650 Posts
Good luck with the maiden!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:44 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
184 Posts
Maiden is complete...good taxi, lots of power, wind 4ish down the runway, lift off, gear up...did have to use several clicks of right aileron and 4 clicks of down elevator, but jet flew well, cut flight short at 3 minutes, gear down, good line up..over the thresh-hold a little hot, a couple of short ballons, held flare and it came down for an easy touchdown and good rollout....

These scale paint schemes on these guys do there job well. They can be hard to see and disorientation is always waiting to reach out and grab you by the a--. on a sad note, my flying buddy did lose his 18 today from that very thing.....crap!!! It just exploded when it hit the ground, not much worth salvaging in the foam department. A very unforgiving hobby .......
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:01 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,650 Posts
Nice, congrats.

I feel the 18 lands very easy once you get use to speed and glide slope. I land full flaps with throttle about 15-20%. Comes down predictable and just leaves a nice flair to finish it.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:49 AM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
184 Posts
I did not use the flaps on the maiden...nothing fancy, just an up and down to get a feel for her. Now to look everything over and find the reason I had to use 1/2 of my available right trim to get her flying hands off on the sticks...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 04:26 AM
Find More Posts by Shirty
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
921 Posts
Maiden flights report & vid

G'day Fellas,

I'm a fairly experienced pilot, but brand new to jets, this is my first one, (I know, probably could have picked a easier one to learn on...), but really enjoying it and thoroughly hooked.

I made up this film from video my mate took of flights 1-8, but as I said I have zero experience with edf's, so the flying is nothing flash sorry. My overall impression is its a very easy jet to fly, tracks beautifully through the air and I love the scale look and sound. (especially as it comes through the clouds!)

I'll happily admit my only issue to date is the extra speed needed for landings. I'm still coming in waaaay too hot as you will see, but so far I have only broken a retract mount... twice. (sure that wont last tho lol). Anyway, really loving this bird, ordered the F16 as well and it should arrive soon hopefully.

Glad I can finally contribute something to the thread after months of reading it. I put a fair few hours in the editing room on this one to do it justice and make up for my lack of flying skill with a jet, but I really hope you guys like it, would love to know what you think. Thanks!

ps: Choose the HD option if you have it on your device, its much better. Cheers.

Freewing FA-18E SuperHornet RAAF version 90mm Edf (Maiden Flights HD) (6 min 36 sec)
Shirty is online now Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Joined Aug 2009
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
G'day Fellas,

I'm a fairly experienced pilot, but brand new to jets, this is my first one, (I know, probably could have picked a easier one to learn on...), but really enjoying it and thoroughly hooked.

I made up this film from video my mate took of flights 1-8, but as I said I have zero experience with edf's, so the flying is nothing flash sorry. My overall impression is its a very easy jet to fly, tracks beautifully through the air and I love the scale look and sound. (especially as it comes through the clouds!)

I'll happily admit my only issue to date is the extra speed needed for landings. I'm still coming in waaaay too hot as you will see, but so far I have only broken a retract mount... twice. (sure that wont last tho lol). Anyway, really loving this bird, ordered the F16 as well and it should arrive soon hopefully.

Glad I can finally contribute something to the thread after months of reading it. I put a fair few hours in the editing room on this one to do it justice and make up for my lack of flying skill with a jet, but I really hope you guys like it, would love to know what you think. Thanks!

ps: Choose the HD option if you have it on your device, its much better. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/epq3VPWWSfk
Terrific vid. Great editing. Takes the RC aircraft demo genre to a whole new level.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Shirty
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
921 Posts
Thanks mate.
Shirty is online now Find More Posts by Shirty