New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by sneasle
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,970 Posts
Hey Nick,

With regard to compatibility with different T-Slots, what if you made the bottom of the rib indexer angular or stair-stepped? It would work similar to how you use tapered dowel pins to align fixtures? Does that make sense?

That would let people use the T-slot nut that is best for their track, while still allowing the rib indexer to 'center' itself in the track.

Drilling the hole in the T-slot shouldn't be a big deal for most. Some places will even drill the holes for you if you tell them what you need. I don't think Automation4Less will do it, but most of the 80/20 suppliers (80/20 only sells direct through their ebay store) will drill the hole for you. It ups the price slightly, but you could provide people a series of part numbers for tracks of a certain length with predrilled holes that they could then go to one of the 80/20 distributors to order.

Another option would be with the 4-slot T-Slot track, you might be able to design your center hinge so it 'slides' into the slots (maybe 3 or all 4 of them) on each side and could then be 'fasterned' with the T-slot nuts. No drilling required.

-stephan
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by nfhill
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
The simple wood working style T-track was the first one I received so it was the first I started designing for. I suspect that the 1" square type, with a slot on all four sides, may be the better choice. It should be more than stiff enough and is close, if not lower, in cost.

When I receive my 1" square extrusion, I'll start working out a center dihedral hinge. I want the hinge to have an axis of rotation at the top surface of the extrusion. I hope to be able to attach the hinge to the extrusion using the side slots.

I think the best way to align the rib holders to the track may be to use the outside edges of the track instead of the width of the slot. This will make the rib holder a little wider on the bottom, but will avoid any problem with variable width slots from different extrusion suppliers.

Perhaps it would be acceptable to specify a single supplier of extruded T-track?

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:21 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,970 Posts
I'm like your idea of making it wider to encompass the sides, that should work nicely.

Eh, while the slots on the 1" tracks vary a little bit from manufacturer to manufacturer, the wide tolerances are pretty spot on. Most likely, any 1" extrusion should work for you.

Can you tell me who you ordered from? It might be worth it for you to place an order for a 1ft section from McMaster, the 80/20 ebay store, and from Automation4Less to get an idea of the variation between them. Some people may be better able to get a certain brand where they live, so giving them the option would be good.

Also consider the metric track. It may be a better option for the 'worldwide' audience.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:40 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
I bought my 1" track sample from Sibi Automation via Amazon. I received it yesterday. It appears very close to the dimensioned drawings from McMasterCarr and 80/20 so I'm not worried about compatibility as long as I don't design relying on the width of the slot.

This T-track is definitely stiff enough that no one is likely to complain about it flexing during use. Now I just have to figure out a design for a dihedral hinge that won't cost a fortune to make.

Nick
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by mazmanx
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
I need to meet you in Indiana if you don't mind

Hello
I am interesting in your jig and want come to have one and see what other staff you have if you do t mind
Pls send me contact info
Ahmed
mazmanx is offline Find More Posts by mazmanx
Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by ToxicSludge
RVN,70-71-72,Cav Scout
United States, OR, Medford
Joined May 2014
23 Posts
I for one would be very interested in buying a complete wing and fuse jig. I don't have the experience building so for me,any tools that will help me is money well spent.
-george
ToxicSludge is offline Find More Posts by ToxicSludge
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by jcyr1
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Jul 2002
437 Posts
Toxic..... PM sent.
John
jcyr1 is offline Find More Posts by jcyr1
Old Apr 05, 2015, 10:35 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
New Wing Jig Design

I've made some progress on my wing jig design. I now have a workable dihedral hinge design. It's not as simple as I had hoped, but it seems to work. The greater weight of the larger T-slot extrusion required a little assistance in the way of two side braces to compensate for too much flex in the main hinge part. 3D printed plastic is a great technology, but it's not metal. Now I just need to complete the design for the jig end supports.

Nick
Old Apr 06, 2015, 02:28 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,970 Posts
Nick, that's pretty close to what I had in mind for this.

A thought, perhaps you could modify slightly so the mounts for the extrusion are on the side, while keeping the hinge below? That may build in some additional rigidity.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 05:57 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
The flex in the dihedral hinge is not a big problem. In use, it would only occur with the jig rotated upside down when the weight of the extrusions tends to flatten the dihedral angle. The two slotted braces on the sides eliminate the flex entirely even if one side of the jig is supported only by the hinge. I am considering putting a bend in the side braces so the brace doesn't come up to the top of the extrusion and prevent placing a rib holder over the brace in the center of the jig (the rib holders extend down the side of the extrusion a couple of mm's to align them at 90* to the extrusion).

It's more important to design the end supports for the jig, then to optimize the dihedral hinge design.

Nick
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:04 AM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,970 Posts
Makes sense. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. It's already looking like I will need to upgrade
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:29 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
New Wing Jig Design

It's taken awhile for me to take the photos, but I now have a complete workable design for all the parts to make a new wing jig. The 3D printed parts are a bit more expensive than I would have liked, but I think it is the only practical way to go.

The end support parts count could be reduced by one (each side) by lengthening the U-shaped bracket which would allow the end cap (printed in white) to be eliminated, but I'm happy for now.

Now I just need to print up some more rib holders.

Nick
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:23 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,970 Posts
Nicely done, looks really good.

A suggestion, it would be worthwhile to use a heat set insert in the nut. Fine threaded fasteners (anything machine screw really) won't bite very well into the plastic and will wear it out relatively quickly. Not that big of a deal, but you wouldn't want one to give out while you had a wing up on it being built.