HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Discussion
Bird Attacks ???

So today Im flying my v911 outside and around 50 feet or so I noticed a little bird change course and try to catch the helicopter. Insects also, Ive seen butterflys and dragonflys go right after the helicopter. Even later when I took the helicopter back up, at least 5 or 6 buzzards came over the tree line and started circleing. I guess my questions are does anybody else notice a birds resentment for rc heli's and planes? Why are they so interested in the little aircrafts and why do the birds attack them?
08charger3.5 is offline Find More Posts by 08charger3.5
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:42 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,258 Posts
their territorial animals
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
One time my Cat climbed up to the top of the couch and leaped into the air intercepting my v911 like a patriot missile. Although I think the blades rang her bell because she has not gone after it since.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:50 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
I didnt realize birds were so mean.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Yeah Im waiting for one of these birds outside to actually come in contact. There getting close.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
I had a crow chasing my razor once. I just landed it. something that big wouldnt survive a blade strike, but neither would the heli, lol.
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
I'm up in the northwest - learned to fly on a falcon 40 FP. When I got past learning to hover and orientations and started to fly around, the original paint on the canopy got real hard to see against the fir trees in the background, so I repainted with fluorescent paint.
On my second test flight, a female hummingbird came in too close and I stopped and went into hover. She came in real close, then flew away a little, stopped, and flew away little, then came back close, did a little left and right stuff, backed off a little and waited… I really got the impression she saying “follow me.”
While she was flirting with my heli, I realized it looked an awful lot like a male hummer – all yellow with a bright red chest and throat.
I don't think she actually thought it was a male, but I'm pretty sure she was trying to figure out what it it really was.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I've had 'em chase my helicopters, EDF jet, and planes. Sometimes they get pretty agressive but I have never come back with battle scars yet. It's kind'a fun to mix it up with 3 birds going after my EDF F-16 and makes for an interesting flight.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,895 Posts
Bird vs RC Plane (4 min 17 sec)
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Helicopters announce their presence in a lot of different ways, and animals do take notice. Dragon flies are aggressive territorial predators, and will attack almost anything flying in their space. It is a somewhat worthless attack though, it can't really do any damage.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,934 Posts
While hovering my 450 I had a green fig beetle come out of nowhere and fly straight into and on top of my rotor disc. When it hit it just shot up and far away, super fast. I was like whoa! Time seemed to slow down as I watched it. The next day I found half of him in the same area I was hovering, maybe he almost made it through the rotors but got chopped.

Yeah some birds act weird when I fly around here, or they start coming around more, but I think they're more curious than anything.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2012
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I seen this video. Laughed my ass off the whole time.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,459 Posts
Added that video to my favorites. Yes, I was also laughing the whole time. That is hilarious!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08charger3.5 View Post
I seen this video. Laughed my ass off the whole time.
Bird Attacks RC Predator RQ-1L and Crashes it (6 min 24 sec)

Bird damaged the rear prop and crashed. Not much bird attacks on helis on youtube i'm afraid.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post

Bird damaged the rear prop and crashed. Not much bird attacks on helis on youtube i'm afraid.
I don't think birds would do so well against anything larger than a 250 size...

I've had magpies go after a few of my planes, they didn't seem to have the speed to keep up though (just punch the throttle when they got close). This would be an issue for slow ones though!
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar