HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2003, 02:10 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Bob Selman actuator set up

I've recently got some of the Bob Selman actuators - what the best way of connecting these to the control surface & what sort of linkage should I be using?

I've made a couple of home brew attempts - but I'm not really happy with it yet.

Any info greatly appreciated - photo's even more so

Cheers

Soundman
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:10 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
Here is the way I do it. I think this is the way Bob had intended it. Use brass wire that comes with actuators for actuator end. Cut shrink tubing into 4 pcs. Make push rod out of appropriate length .020 or .030 carbon rod. I bend a piece of .020 piano wire for control surface end just like the brass .020 wire. slide pieces together and shrink. You don't have to use any adhesive if you don't want to the friction will hold it fine. I use the Dubro micro control horns and then cut them down to the first hole. Then drill new .020 hole just behind it.
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:12 PM
Lenexa KS USA
Joined Jun 2001
347 Posts
other end
Dan Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Dan Leonard
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:03 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Here's an alternative to the 'other end'. I make a figure '4' out of guitar string (~.014" works fine), and attach it with the same heat shrink as Dan mentioned. The difference is that you can pop the keeper over the horn and remove the 90* bend from the hole so you can take them off, or more importantly, put them on after the surfaces are glued in place. Sorry the picture isn't sharper...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jul 30, 2003, 04:12 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Thanks guys, that's a little easier than how I've been doing it

With the heatshrink used to join the links, are you able to slide them through the heat shrink to adjust the length?

Thanks again

Soundman
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:56 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Yes, even after you shrink the tubing, it is possible to slide the components around. Once you have found the correct length, a touch of CA locks it all down permanently.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor