SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,238 Posts
Hi Josse,

The Well Enhancer is looking really good.
Your skills, have improved a lot since you first started this project.
Keep at it... Looking forward to seeing your ship on the water in the coming season.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Hi Umi,

Thanks for the kind words.

Next Monday it's Queens day here in Holland and then I'll be sailing with her at the club.
Should be able to make some photo's of her sailing.

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Today I went out with the club to sail with Well Enhancer.
She sailed for about 5 hours and it all went pretty good.
The problems of the main engines working at less then half what they should be capable of and the bow thruster working twice as good was solved.
It turned out I did connect the battery wires correctly to the fuses and the last time I sailed with her I thought I've did it the other way around.
Now everything works fine again.
It did cause me to decide to attach the bow thruster to the 12V power.
That means I'll replace the ESC with that in my tugboat so that the ESC can handle 12V.
Then bow thruster engine actually can't handle 12V, only 7.6V but running it on 12V should only reduce it's usable lifetime, but as I use the bow thruster only on a few occasions that's no problem to me.

Enough talking, now some photo's:

Well Enhancer in her element next to an oil rig as she's build to do maintenance on oil rigs and the pipelines that are attached to those oil rigs.

Some ships had an excessive amount of smoke coming out of their funnels...

Here she's a bit less in her element but the owner also likes to get something to drink or to eat from time to time...

The crew also seemed to be enjoying Queens day as there is no-one visible on deck...

Now crew visible on the decks of model owned by someone who claims that work ships with no crew at the decks is a yacht...
Time to change that.

When sitting in a lazy chair the enormous superstructure is quite a pain in the but as it makes it impossible to see the smaller models ahead of the bow.
That has resulted in more then 1 collision.
Fortunately Well Enhancer is more then tough enough to deal with these kind of collisions.

Had some park assist although this model is more then manoeuvrable enough to park on her own...

When the crew finally arrived at the deck it was only to find half the crew sitting on a couch enjoying the sun...
The lazy bastards...

This photo shows how tough it can be to manoeuvre a big model like Well Enhancer between those tiny little boats, especially seeing the fact that those boats are controlled by younger people (they only know full speed and full rudder and aren't quite predictable...).

Modern day officers seem to not share the mentality of their colleagues from years ago...
This 1 was wiped off his feet due to a collision with the shore...

This is the last 1 for today.

Greetings Josse
Old May 01, 2012, 12:20 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
looking good!
DerekCross is offline Find More Posts by DerekCross
Old May 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
Aukra, Norway
Joined Aug 2010
461 Posts
looks great in the wet Great boat pool too
proteque is offline Find More Posts by proteque
Old May 01, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The boat pool is owned by the club, very useful when the location doesn't offer any proper waters.

Today I continued the work on the electronics.
The ESC in my tugboat turned out to be the exact same one as the 1 that is used to control the bow thruster.
Although that means both the ESC and engine actually aren't capable of handling 12V the short usage of the bow thruster makes me stay with my decision to give it 12V and today I re-arranged the wiring to give the bow thruster 12V.
I also adjusted the wiring coming from the batteries so I can place the batteries on the spots where they've been placed for a couple of years now.
When that was done I re-attached some wires on the fog-horn electronics and now it works properly again, as one can see in the video below (video was made using my phone, don't have anything better with video capabilities till the end of this month when I'll be buying a filming equipped DSLR, so I'm sorry for the poor quality)
Video0003.3gp (0 min 15 sec)

Here are 2 photo's of some other progress:

Funnel is being glued in place.

Hopefully one can see here that the funnel is placed straight and level.

Greetings Josse
Old May 01, 2012, 11:12 AM
Aukra, Norway
Joined Aug 2010
461 Posts
Btw. How much does this boat weight? Must be quite heavy?
proteque is offline Find More Posts by proteque
Old May 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Hi Proteque,

She indeed isn't quite light weight.
Empty she weighs about 11kg, on the waterline she weighs about 25kg.
I use steel plates that are trash from the real ship as ballast.
The main battery (of which I will eventually use 2) weighs about 2,5kg helping to ballast quite a bit.

Greetings Josse
Old May 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Today I've been emailing with the friend who advised me to use Arduino to control my model about using wifi as communication between transmitter and Arduino.
He had discovered some facts about wifi and it's compatibility with the used software causing wifi to be dropped as an option for communications.
My friend was kind enough to give an alternative: tare apart the existing transmitter, take the antenna and electronics out and replace it by an Arduino and 2,4GHz transmitter/ receiver system (gives 2 way communication) which is designed for Arduino.
Also add some switches and a touch screen and we have a heavily modified transmitter with virtually no limit to the amount of functions it can control.
My current transmitter is large enough to accommodate the Arduino stuff and that coupled to some other facts is quite some reason to adopt this system.

Enough talking, now some more photo's of today's progress:

As the hatch in the rear deck is now covered by 2 pieces I no longer needed to remove the platform in order to get the deck out.
Therefore I decided it was time to place the platform permanently.

When the glue had dried I removed the weight to get this view at the result.

Proud as I am about the current progress I decided to put the boat on my bed again and prepare her for some pics in her working condition.
Here the bridge is showing clear evidence of the ship doing some complex kind of manoeuvring.

Can't get enough of this kind of photo's but you guys probably didn't notice that yet, had you?

Another good old view.

The rear deck is also full of activity.
Not quite unexpected as placing a funnel and a platform isn't quite a smurfs job (or a job for whatever name you English folks give to small creatures)...

Looks like a work ship again!

Greetings Josse
Old May 02, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Update:

The major disadvantage of placing the electronics after the deck has been placed is that it can be very difficult to mount the electronics later on.
Here I'm trying to tighten a screw on which I will hang a wooden plate for the central computer.
To tighten the screw I had to drill a hole (which couldn't be drilled horizontal as the Dremel didn't fit in the small room), then put the screw in from the wrong side as the electric screwdriver also didn't fit in the room behind the bulkhead and after that I could finally put the screw in place manually.
The high keel is quite a handicap in this matter and has actually not at all proved it's value so I won't use such a high keel anymore.

I had placed some kind of bin to put the electronics in, but I actually prefer to place the on a wooden plate so I made 1 today.
This plate will also hold the main 2,4GHz antenna so some room at the top is no luxury.

This is to give an idea of how spacious the plate has been set up.
It will hold 1 larger Arduino and to smaller Arduino's and a much smaller PCB with the 2,4GHz antenna and 5 even smaller PCBs with build-in 2,4GHz antennas for communication with the lifeboats.
That leaves quite some room for nice and clean wiring.

This plate will carry 1 larger Arduino and 2 port expanders which will serve as bow computer.

Made some brackets to keep the plate in place.
This has clearly been scratch build, but that applies to pretty much the entire model and it works so who cares?

This is where this Arduino will be placed.
There will also be a port expander to control some on/off functions for which this Arduino doesn't have enough pins, but the cheapest Arduino which has the right amount of pins is twice as expensive and has 4 times as much pins which is a bit overkill.
Actually pretty much all the used Arduino's will be using only a small amount of their memory and capacity.
This Arduino has already got it's power supply wiring prepared (Arduino won't be placed until some proper testing with this system has been done) and the wiring for controlling the bow thruster, main engines and the steering servos have been placed as well.
When the bow computer has been placed the wires for the bow thruster will be disconnected to attach those to the bow computer, there's no point in having pulse wires running from bow to stern when a more then capable control unit is close by.

Greetings Josse
Old May 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,895 Posts
It might be fiddly installing through the access holes, but it should mean that later on, if you need to get at anything, it should be possible without destroying part of the boat.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old May 03, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
Hi MFR,

Thanks for the thumbs up, that is so true.
However, my next boat will have all the electronics installed before the deck goes in.
I will use just as large hatches as I have on Well Enhancer, it works great for getting ballast and batteries in and out and models this big can not be put in and out of the water on your own when the ballast and batteries can't be taken out.
As long as all the electronics are positioned just under the edge of a hatch everything remains reachable and can be placed when there is still lots of room.

Greetings Josse
Old May 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
No build-update this time.
Since last Monday I'm working full time at Akerboom (a company that builds superstructures for mega yachts like those Bill Gates owns).
That means getting out of bed early and being back home just in time for dinner whilst being tired.
I expect that this will cause modelbuilding to be done quite a bit less then I used to do so if your wondering where the updates are you'll know now why I'm not busy with modelbuilding.
Fortunately I really like my job and I'm in a great team so that might help to keep modelbuilding.
This week I've been more busy with designing my own mega yacht...

Greetings Josse
Old May 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2012
53 Posts
Hey there tweety777 nice model you have there. I had a bash at making something very similiar but never got round to finishing her. Hope to see more updates in the near future.
type45 is offline Find More Posts by type45
Last edited by type45; May 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2012
53 Posts
Lady Avril

New to the forum!!!!!Took some snaps of my ongoing scratch built model Lady Avril. All my own designs and built from scratch in my workshop. I have added a few snaps of how I went about the design and build so far. I have designed the hull with twin screws, bow thruster, working capstains for the anchors and twin rudders. The hull has a large Moon Pool to accommadate an ROV (to be built) which will hopefully be lowered and hoisted through the opening in the hulls bottom. I have float tested the model and she sits fine so far! My future plans are to continue working aloft i.e. super structure, masts, bridge and hopefully working cranes once I have completed my current project of HMS Diamond RN T45 Destroyer. If you have any questions or queries then please let me know if you wish to know more information. Keep up the good work, hopefully hear from you soon.

Robbie
type45 is offline Find More Posts by type45
Last edited by type45; May 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM.