HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2002, 08:35 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
TX and RX Crystals the same?

I bought some crystals today and i asked for a crystal for my RX and a Crystal for my TX when i got home i noticed that bothe say RX crystal did he just give me a wrong Crystal or can they be used in either?

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2002, 09:06 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,839 Posts
You didn't mention the brand name but I would be very surprised if they were the same crystal.

I'd give them a call.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:30 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Hitec
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:52 PM
Santa Paula, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
109 Posts
Hey Kushl_22

Well yes both crystals are the same, much as 18 wheelers are the same as volvos. They are made of the same basic components, but each has some differences. The Tx crystal will be cut and trimmed for a frequency which is the channel frequency. Sometimes the crystal is one third or one sixth the channel frequency, but each transmitter manufacturer does things a little differently. The receive crystal is cut and trimmed for a frequency slightly off of the channel frequency. This allow two signals to mix in the receiver, one is the received signal from the transmitter, the other is the receive crystal frequency. The difference is a frequency which is filtered and amplified in the receiver eventually detected and turned into the control data for the servos.

You cannot directly exchange the two types of crystals. In the United States the FCC rules forbid users changing the transmitter frequency. You must return the radio to the manufacturer for the new crystal and they also align the transmitter to FCC specifications. Call Hitec and ask about the charges, it's not too much if I remember properly. The store sold you two receive crystals because they will not have transmit crystals and the sales person must not know the difference.

Good luck and Happy flying!
ZagiArt is offline Find More Posts by ZagiArt