HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2014, 11:27 PM
Joined Sep 2013
38 Posts
Rant
Flyzone micro Shortcomings

I just recently bought the Flyzone micro SE5a. Before I even maiden it I put a lot of scale details. I got over 25 flawless flights out of it until I smacked the center of the Propeller hub on a low laying wire, knocking the plastic nut off the back of the prop shaft. I tried to get it back on without opening the fuselage all the way and ended up having to disconnect the motor.
I ended up loosing the little nut and decided to upgrade the gearbox with a spare Parkzone gearbox. And while I was checking to see if motor polarities where right I accidentally shorted a servo out with my pliers!!!!
To top all this off this isn't the first time i've had this problem with Flyzone. My first Rc plane ever the Flyzone Albatross had the same problem(except it was from putting it in the ground nose first I ended up putting heat shrink tubing in place of the plastic nut. All this leads me to belive that every Flyzone micro has this problem
All in all Flyzone is sub-standard when it come's to micro's. With there paper thin tail feathers (compared to other brands of micro's), there friction fit propellers(come on! thats the last place you want to put trust in friction fitting), and there joke gearbox's. Screw this I'm getting a T-28
fockewulf is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2014, 07:26 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,831 Posts
Horseshoes might be a better hobby for you.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old May 12, 2014, 09:43 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,518 Posts
incidentally, the fz albatros was also my first plane. i had a blast with it. relative to my pz um spit, the albatros was more fragile. those are the only two 1s birds i ever owned though.

i flew the albatros a lot harder than you have flown both your fz micros put together and didn't lose the prop shaft nut - or anything for that matter. also, the weak points for me (and others) were the wing mounts and the LG axle.

that said, my 2 cents is you need to go easier on the work you do on the bench. shorting a servo and losing a prop shaft nut are not what most pilots seem to encounter.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 12, 2014, 05:41 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,879 Posts
The statement about Horseshoes was spot on...
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 13, 2014, 10:44 AM
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Aug 2013
205 Posts
I got only three or four fights out of my flyzone SE5a, it was just way too fragile for me. The motor mount kept breaking loose on anything but a perfect landing. In contrast my Parkzone UM T-28 has hit the ground nose first from 20 feet up and it suffered no damage.

-Max
maxnew40 is offline Find More Posts by maxnew40
Old May 13, 2014, 10:59 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
236 Posts
I smacked my P-40 right into a cinder block wall; it really distorted the spinner; bounced off; no hard feelings!

I've since been able to rip the tail off; but it has been an impressively robust plane.
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old May 14, 2014, 06:25 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,185 Posts
I have no complaint about the durability of the fine Flyzone biplanes. I have the Fokker Triplane, Albatros, SE5a. My favorite is the Tiger Moth.

I do have a beef with the brick, however. When starting up, it will respond to any nearby Tactic transmitter -- not necessarily yours! Our club has had a lot of problems with that during indoor flying season.

That's too bad, because the brick is otherwise well thought out. It has a port for an aileron servo and also for an outboard ESC, like a brushless. Price of $40 is a little high, but it's very flexible for different set-ups.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old May 14, 2014, 09:38 AM
Joined Apr 2013
629 Posts
I have a FZ Cub. It's super. Flies well as long as theres no wind. Then I bought a DR-1. The maiden flight of the dr-1 was a loop and then straight in. Knocked the LG off, the top wing off, bottem wing lose and lost the guns, broke the prop.

CA'd (foam compatiable) the damn thing back together and put some lead in the nose and she flew. Not great but flew. Then I bought a Nieuport 17. It didn't have the power to get off the ground (street). Returned it to the LHS and trade it out for a PZ T-28. Sweet plane.

All in All, the Flyzone planes are not the same quality as the ParkZone planes.

I did have some problems with the range with the stock (Cheapie) FZ TX (tt402). So I bought a TT650. That's a great TX. I like it allot. I wish the FZ planes were up to the quality of the TT650. Another reason for the TT650 purchase was I have gotten a FZ P-38. I like this plane and didn't want any range problems. Plus you get all the programming features with the TT650, Expo, rates, servo reversing, etc.

My 2 cents worth!.

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro videos of my UMX WarBirds
Old May 14, 2014, 05:45 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,548 Posts
I love my FZ S.E.5a, it has flown flawlessly. The LG did need glued better but otherwise it has been a great little plane so far.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Dec 2013
38 Posts
I have an SE-5, a DR-1, and a Playmate from Flyzone. All have flown well over the 6-8 months I've had them. I agree that the landing gear on the SE-5 and especially the DR-1 are fragile out of the box. On the SE-5 the carbon fiber axle broke after a couple of months flying (I like to do touch-and-goes, which can get a little rough if the breeze kicks up). I've had to re-glue the DR-1 landing gear to the fuse probably three times, and have had to re-glue the wing struts on the SE-5 and DR-1 at least once each.

That said, I really enjoy flying them as long as it's in calm conditions. The Playmate has been pretty much bulletproof and is still fun to fly in winds up to those that eliminate all upwind progress.

I also bought the TTX-650 and have found it to be a good radio. I've got 7 models programmed into it including RET, REAT and a v-tail RET. Easy to program and easy to switch between models.

I like the Flyzone stuff. I get more of a kick out of planes I've built myself, but the Flyzone planes have been a great way to get back into the hobby.

Just another guy's 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Mike
MKellyvich is offline Find More Posts by MKellyvich
Old May 15, 2014, 02:41 AM
Joined Apr 2013
629 Posts
So far we got 4 cent's worth?

Anybody else?
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro videos of my UMX WarBirds
Old May 15, 2014, 09:50 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
that said, my 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
My 2 cents worth!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKellyvich View Post
Just another guy's 2 cents worth.
adds-up to 6 cents, not 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
So far we got 4 cent's worth?

Anybody else?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 15, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2014
24 Posts
I purchased the Jenny because I love that plane. I didn't think it flew that well and the quality of the airplane was certainly not in the same league as the eflite stuff.

Probably won't buy another one of their planes.
paradiddle is offline Find More Posts by paradiddle
Old May 15, 2014, 02:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Friend of mine had that fokker triplane,it looked great in the air when he was cruising it around but then he went in for a short dive and tried a loop and the wings ripped right off the fusalage.
airwoods is offline Find More Posts by airwoods
Old May 15, 2014, 06:10 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
I purchased the Jenny because I love that plane. I didn't think it flew that well and the quality of the airplane was certainly not in the same league as the eflite stuff.

Probably won't buy another one of their planes.
I didn't know Flyzone made a Jenny. I can't seem to find it, so I guess it's out of production. Not sure how I missed it.

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon