SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
434 Posts
Bruce,
This sounds much like rigging stabilizers on a frigate or a leveler on a sub.
If one were to set up balancing tanks on the ends of the dock, and on the sides, they would be filled and drained, controlled by levelers, 2 required, controlling electronic switches and pumps. . This sound more expensive, it is more so, but not complicated and Bubbleheads will atest to it's reliability. The flour of the dock could probably be free flooding,( I've not done the math) depending on the mass needed to be lifted.
I have plans for a Phoenix that I want to build someday that would flood down in a similiar manner. Please keep our posted on your progress.
Jonathan
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:33 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,628 Posts
I reckon the orange stabilizer I'm using on my FFG would work, you would need 2 reversible ESC's and pumps on each of 2 axis, one of the multirotor controlers with the gyro and accelerometer would be even better

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:39 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Thanks Fellas,
I haven't done anything yet, lack of construction funds is hindering progress on the construction side. Still looking for some reversible pumps, all the ones small enough to fit are single direction only, might need one for ballasting down, and one for up!

Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:08 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
283 Posts
Check out motor home auto jack leveling sys they work with 4 corner hydraulic jacks I think you could use pumps instead and it works on 12 volts dc
liljimmy is online now Find More Posts by liljimmy
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:26 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
What about a small dish with a drop mercury in it with one wire in the center (common) and wires at the edges in your cardinal directions, so that when it tilts the mercury contacts both the common wire and one or more of the edge wires which activate pumps.
Regards,
Gerald.
can't use mercury in the US do to it is considered a hazardous material in a lake you are nuts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:50 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljimmy View Post
can't use mercury in the US do to it is considered a hazardous material in a lake you are nuts
I'd rather spend the money on a good gyro, than spend it on the potential medical bills from Mercury poisoning. It doesn't take much.
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:30 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
I'm using a UPC-1 on a submarine I'm working on. Basically the forward dive planes operate via the transmitter to dive the boat. The UPC-1 is connected to the stern dive planes and adjust the boat accordingly to keep it level. The UPC-1 operates on it's own. I was wondering of something like this could be used to adjust the trim of the dock by operating a pump instead of dive planes?

http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html

I'm also using an RS-TEN reversing switch. When I want to dive the boat this operates off of one channel, pushing the transmitter stick in one direction fills the ballast tank, pushing it the other direction empties the tank.

http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:20 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljimmy View Post
When I wrote this I was tossing ideas out. If I was going to implement it I would have used the mercury in a sealed container. Some of the old heating theromostats used a mercury switch on a bimetalic strip which gave me the idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_switch
when I googled "mercury switch" I found a link to
Mercury replacement, Tilt & Vibration Sensors - signalquest.com
http://signalquest.com/products/#/1?1=y&2=n&3=n
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:36 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Joined Jul 2012
283 Posts
that's better
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:44 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,137 Posts
Try the UPC-1 here: http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html

It has a 2-axis sensor (only 1 used) that provides leveling for subs.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:47 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
LOL, what I said.
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj