Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:36 AM
Getting good at foam repair
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Discussion
Things to do before running your rc car

Hi team,

I thought I'd draw on the collective rc cars community knowledge, or at least get pointed in the right direction.

I'm new to rc cars, have been flying rc planes for about a year.

Is there a checklist of things to do after build and before first run of a new rc car? I've got a 1/16th RTR rally car with a suitable 2.4ghz tx/rx combo.

- how do I know if the supplied shocks have enough oil / any oil at all?
- do I need to thread lock absolutely every screw I see?
- is there an easy way to tell if gears are meshed or do I just take apart and re-mesh?
- what else do I need to know? Can I just plug in and maxxxx throttle?

If anyone needs tips on setup before maiden plane flight I'm happy to reciprocate

Ta!
GTrain is offline Find More Posts by GTrain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:28 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,821 Posts
Shocks - compress them a couple times, you should feel some resistance (but not a ton since it's a small car) and they shouldn't snap back instantly, it should be slightly slower.

Thread lock - only needed on screws going into metal, if they go into plastic thread lock won't do anything. This is really only a worry on nitro cars, electric cars don't vibrate that much at all.

Gear mesh - if it's a RTR, it *should* be ok, but you can have a look to see. You basically want it as tight as possible without adding any binding/friction.

Don't just go and run at full speed straight away, find an open area and drive around a slow speeds to get used to the handling first. Once you're comfortable go for it!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Great advice wparsons, thanks heaps!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
What brand is it? RTRs are assembled much better these days if you by from one of the top manufacturers.
JatoTheRipper is offline Find More Posts by JatoTheRipper
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:17 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
I go over every screw or bolt on an RTR vehicle. Just to be sure. And always check the gear mesh.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
I went cheap and nasty for my initial foray into rc cars.

HK Turnigy 1/16th 4WD Mini Rally brushless - Extreme Edition
Exteme Edition

Plus basic HK radio and the "drift" mod kit (tyres and a diff locking mechanism). I'll be leaving the drfit thing until quite a few packs through the stock setup.

If I get plenty of use out of this I'll go quality for a second car - thinking along the lines of a Traxxas Slash or similar SCT

G
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
244 Posts
Initial checkover, most screws were fairly tight already.

I CA glued the rx to the top of the servo body and ran the antenna through supplied tube CA'd to the length of the chassis body.

I'm still not sure about the shocks. They're aluminum but seem to have very little resistance across the range of travel. The chassis bottoms out at full compression also....

Rookie mistake: stuck the decals on before taking off the protective shrink wrap! hahaha

Cheers