HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
im just uploading some reference pics for myself.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
im just uploading some reference pics for myself.
I am very close to pulling the trigger to get one! My main issue at this time is the ;ack of flaps. What do you plan on doing with respect to flaps, not have them? Also, are you planning on four bladed props like the pics show? That way you may need a smaller prop for teh same power?

I must say your posts are very motivating.... great job Sir.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
m4 x 7, where would one get those? and what does that translate into dimension wise? and heres another reason why i waited till i got the plane before i ordered the motors. the biggest prop ill be able to run is 7", or it hits the feus. so, this means i can run a higher kv. which translates into higher performance. which i like. 35mm spinners are hard to find, cause most go 1", 1.25", 1.5" etc... if i had to, i would settle for something a bit smaller, but they look so good when they match the nacelle perfectly. thanks
Check your local hardware store, if they don't have that size you can get them from RTL fasteners
http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/r1.html
I buy most all my nut bolts etc from RTL. Good quality fasteners and very reasonable prices.
I don't understand what you mean by what does that translate into dimension wise, It's metric M4 is the dimension 7 is the pitch.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Last edited by Herman Munster; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:19 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
m4 x 7, where would one get those? and what does that translate into dimension wise?
M = ISO metric screw thread (used by all Chinese, Japanese and European manufacturers, and a lot of US ones)
4 = diameter in mm
7 = pitch in mm
(You can add a third number for the lenght of the bolt in mm, for example M4x7x50)
Rule of thumb: the ISO M and American (Imperial?) sizes NEVER work with each other, so make sure you don't mix them in your nuts and bolts box.

(EDIT: Herman Munster beat me to it...)

Quote:
35mm spinners are hard to find, cause most go 1", 1.25", 1.5" etc... if i had to, i would settle for something a bit smaller, but they look so good when they match the nacelle perfectly.
I had the same problem, finally bought some folding prop spinners from HK:
35mm aluminum
33mm plastic
You'll probably have to find 5mm adapters to make it fit your motor axles, but I'm affraid chances are slim for that... try a column-drill or lathe instead.
And you need to love folding props, of course.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Last edited by Commander Clumsy; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: editing
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
believe i may have found some 35mm spinners here. they have the wrong size adapters, but, i plan on calling them & seeing if they'll add the adapter i need. i found a couple places & ways i can make them work. i know the real ys-11 spinners dont match the nacelle, but i think it would look SO much better that way. thanks for the info guys, its very informative.http://www.gyrohobbies.com/alum-35mm-spinner.html this is it
Last edited by gchrisgo34; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
I am very close to pulling the trigger to get one! My main issue at this time is the ;ack of flaps. What do you plan on doing with respect to flaps, not have them? Also, are you planning on four bladed props like the pics show? That way you may need a smaller prop for teh same power?

I must say your posts are very motivating.... great job Sir.
yeah, i plan to fly it without flaps. most planes ive ever had didnt have flaps. i dont have a lot of experience with balsa wood working, but i was thinking that if i wanted to do flaps, i would cut some split-flaps into the bottom of the wing. that way, the top of the wing wouldnt be affected at all. im going with 2 blades to begin with. since a 7" prop is about as big as i can go, im going with a higher kv, and some more performance. but, i like this plane so much, i might try some 3 or 4 blade props & spinners in the future. they'de look REALLY good on this plane.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,675 Posts
Chrisgo are you gonna stay with the stock YS-11 paint scheme or are you going to change it?

Ohh. . .. .Is that a Boston terrier in your profile pic?
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
im not presently planning to paint it, but heres some of the schemes i like. the fues. is already painted, its not decals. can you paint monocote? and yeah, thats my BT little buddy, gizmo. ive never seen a dog with more character. if you want a dog that'll make you laugh, BT's are the way to go. well manored & smart.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,675 Posts
Quote:
im not presently planning to paint it, but heres some of the schemes i like. the fues. is already painted, its not decals. can you paint monocote? and yeah, thats my BT little buddy, gizmo. ive never seen a dog with more character. if you want a dog that'll make you laugh, BT's are the way to go. well manored & smart.
Very cool YS-11 painst schemes Sir, you can in fact paint over monocote but you need to use plastic aplication paints. . .. I.E paints that have been formulated to be sprayed on a plastic or vinyl surface.

Ohh Give Gizmo a bark-hello from me!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Very cool YS-11 painst schemes Sir, you can in fact paint over monocote but you need to use plastic aplication paints. . .. I.E paints that have been formulated to be sprayed on a plastic or vinyl surface.

Ohh Give Gizmo a bark-hello from me!
I've painted monocoat with regular enamel paint, just need to go over the monocoat with 000 steel wool prior to painting.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:21 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
I've painted monocoat with regular enamel paint, just need to go over the monocoat with 000 steel wool prior to painting.
Yes indeed. . . .Mr Munster is right, ruffing up the surface of the monokote with fine grit sand paper or steel wool will give the paint something to stick to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
i picked up some 4mm bolts at my LHS today, and they worked like a charm. next time im there, i might pick up some shorter one though. they're kinda hard to get at and screw in. it'll take a tiny bit of weight off too. heres some pics of how the wing fits with the wing bolted on. looks great to me. i also found some other 35mm spinners from leader hobby.com. they're like $2 per spinner. the 35mm spinner doesnt have a 4mm or 5mm adapter, so i ordered some 40mm and 45mm spinners with 4 and 5mm adapters. im sure they'll work with the 35mm spinner. the only difference in the spinners is the diameter, & maybe some height. so, id say ill be able to assemble what i need.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,839 Posts
I have thought about doing one of these - but now I'll see how yours goes

couple of other liverys
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post

couple of other liverys
I love the Old & new Piedmont YS-11 schemes personally & I love the ANA & JAC schemes as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:28 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post

couple of other liverys
Ok trigger was just pulled. I ordered this kit and should have it within a couple of weeks. Now the planning starts! But I have a couple of builds ahead of this.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member