HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:57 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
It would be good Geoff ... just need more time and energy and a bigger brain.

These photos aren't terribly exciting, but it's progress. I need to find time tonight to get the white paint on.

Yes a vinyl cutter would be useful sometimes - it takes quite a while to cut out the "Scratcho" name, and it's a bit rough.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,370 Posts
Looks great. Is it going to be infused naked carbon

Bruce dechastel does all his planes paint job with a vinyl cutter. Many layer's for lots of different colours. Lots of work but does custom jobs for every plane.
It would be a very cool to have. Maybe when I grow up and have a big shed
He are some auzzie team planes from the world champ's last week
This is the new EVO
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
676 Posts
Interesting AvB - your curvy paint bands look great. I've just sprayed up a mould and every time I peel off the masking it pulls the paint too and I end up with a jagged edge I have tried removing the masking tape when the paint is fully dry and when still tacky, tried holding the paint surface down with a plastic edge while i peel off the mask slooowly... but results are mediocre to awful. Perhaps I am using the wrong paint? I use regular rattle cans which require quite a thick layer for coverage... and the waxy mould surface means the paint stick stronger to the mask than the mould surface.. ideas?
Hobster is offline Find More Posts by Hobster
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,370 Posts
The rattle can paint is your problem. Acrylic go very brittle when dry. For best results you need to get it of straight after you last coat while it is still soft.
Peeling the tape back on itself and at a slight angle away from the edge of the paint. If that is clear as mud.
2K ( like pic) gives you a longer time to remove tape. It is an art to get perfect. More about trimming than anything. Temp of day , and thickness of paint means a lot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Yes I've battled with that too Hobster. Like Tim says, you need to get the tape off FAST! Even with the 2K, I'm rushing to get it off, as soon as the last spray goes on, before washing out the gun or anything else. The mould release makes a difference - some of the treatments let the paint hold on a bit better than others.

This whole composites/ paint (etc) thing is a huge mesh of thousands of details which have to be watched over to get consistent results! It can really drive you nuts. But just remember, the main thing is whether it flies OK. Jagged paint edges won't make it fly worse and you won't see them when it's in the air anyway! It's kind of dumb how much work we put into a good design, good structure, good fitting out etc to get it to fly beautifully, but we seem to get really hung up on the cosmetics.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
676 Posts
Thanks for the replies both, I'll try removing the masking fast after the last coat.

I find results do vary by brand of paint. Also the spray on R5 release wax I use is almost too good (parts frequently fall out of the mould without any encouragement) and so the paint has to rely on its own (low) skin strength. 2K sounds like the way to go... but don't fancy dealing with that. As you say, you can't see the jagged pattern in the air... just annoying when everyone else is managing perfect looking paint schemes - those EVO schemes are great.
Hobster is offline Find More Posts by Hobster
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Tim, does Bruce only use the vinyl as masking for paint, or does he apply the vinyl stickers under clear lacquer?
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
777 Posts
need to maybe google this, but there are wheel bits that can replace your cutter to cut vinyls with our cnc machine.

I believe Jon Wells has tried with good success.

Platform CNC | Making a Drag Knife (10 min 8 sec)

Cutting Vinyl and Coroplast with a Donek Drag Knife (12 min 8 sec)

These 2 links give you a DIY and a buy it now option.

Drag knife seems to be the description. the turning of the knife is by design. it just uses the spindle as an axis.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Tim, does Bruce only use the vinyl as masking for paint, or does he apply the vinyl stickers under clear lacquer?
It's multi layer stickers ( vinyl) as the masking. Sprays a colour , then removes one layer , and so on and so forth. Really quick way of masking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,531 Posts
My experience with 2k has been a thin layer of paint = good clean mask line. Too thick with your paint/too many coats = jagged line that pulls away from mould no matter what you do. Us DS builders tend to use a lot more paint than everyone else (who need to build light).
Sean Moloney is online now Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney View Post
Too thick with your paint/too many coats = jagged line that pulls away from mould no matter what you do.
Same here, after 10-15min the paint starts to cure and your mask it's over.
You need to br faaaast, paint and pull out that mask.
I wonder which paint, mask or process would give more time on this part
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,412 Posts
Ive got a silhouette cameo vinyl cutter which was about 300 I think.
It can do anything with vinyl, stencils, masking even cuts monokote.also cuts card stock to make templates and with a pen attachment can plot out complex drawings.
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Today, 01:14 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Tim, that's interesting. The vinyl must have really low tack so as not to affect the previous paint layers, but on the other hand it has to stick well enough where it is bent into the leading edge curve.
Old Today, 01:16 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Hey Will (and Geoff), thanks - I'll look into that - it would be a very useful addition.