HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:49 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,022 Posts
Starting my build. See post #2, will add more photos as I go along.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,022 Posts
All finished. AUW is 11.7 ounces with a 3S1320 mah lipo. Should go pretty good on this setup.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:54 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,022 Posts
Maidened the model yesterday and it goes very well on this setup. Radar gun got me at ~85 mph with a few 90mph in there. Overall I am very impressed with how well it goes on this small motor. Its small size makes the speed feel more like 100 mph. I think I flew 5 times yesterday. The ailerons are very sensitive to keep the aileron throws low on this model. You want more elevator throw than aileron throw.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:15 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Did you level out the stick mount area Don? I foolishly put mine up with the stock motor mount, and it dissintegrated about 6 feet from my hand. I cut power as soon as I saw it happening, but the prop still chewed up the left wing and stab.

It's salvagable though, so I'm looking on different motor mount options.

Also - my CG was really hard to get right as this plane seems to want to be really nose heavy.
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:52 AM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Motor mount option

Hey guys - I took a stab at a home built motor mount for the outrunner... it's just layers of 1/8 inch balsa bonded with 5 min epoxy and sanded to shape. I'll use the threaded screwed that came with the motor to attach.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,022 Posts
I like that idea! I had that aluminum mount I used bend on me when I landed so may need to change it out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,695 Posts
Don, I bought some of those red HK stick-mounts too, because GWS quit making them. But when I got them I couldn't believe how extremely thin/flimsy they were, so I never risked using them on anything. So I'm not surprised that it bent on landing. Even with the thicker GWS and Hyperion ones, I have had them bend on harder landings, or just from the cumulative effect of multiple not-so-hard landings (and don't try to bend them back and reuse them...the metal fatigue will soon lead to breakage!).

Since then, I found these: http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-11...e-Stick/Detail (Scorpion) and have used them with success on two different planes; they are stronger still than the GWS or Hyperion.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,022 Posts
I ended up replacing the red mount with an Eflite outrunner mount this past weekend

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...mount-EFLM1915
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 12:33 PM
Clueless, but trying
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Did you redrill the base plate? That was the justification for me to build my own.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
HK has a black mount that looks like that one at RCDude.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs