HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
My Top Flite B-25 won't take off...please help!

I recently purchased a Top Flite B-25 used from Craig's List. This is my first RC airplane. I know, I know...a warbird doesn't make a good first airplane; however, I have logged nearly 200 hours on Real Flight G5.5 flying warbirds. I believe I am more than prepared for the historical maiden flight of my B-25.

OK, back to the problem. My B-25 won't take off. I have tried larger props and different nitro fuel and it still won't take off. The funny thing is that there seems to be plenty of speed during attempted takeoffs, but there is no lift...the B-25 simply won't leave the ground . It sure isn't much fun just taxiing up and down the runway . What could I be missing ? Below are a couple of photos of the B-25. Isn't she a beauty ? Any help will be much appreciated.
Warbird Hoosier is offline Find More Posts by Warbird Hoosier
Last edited by Warbird Hoosier; Aug 28, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
What is your maximum speed down the runway? Maybe you're not going fast enough. If that doesn't help I would get a 6' long 1X10 and attach it with rubber bands across the top of the engines.
KaP2011 is online now Find More Posts by KaP2011
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
What size engines are in it? That could very well be your problem. You would be better offf getting the biggest engine you can find and putting them on it. I know it'll mean cutting up the cowls and ruining the scale outline, but sometimes you just gotta go bigger
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
Tye
Chacotoma, NM
Joined Jan 2004
698 Posts
lmao
starzak is offline Find More Posts by starzak
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:12 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,248 Posts
A tad bit more runway *may* get it airborne. Try Interstate 15 between Las Vegas and Barstow. It's straight and level...

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:55 AM
Washburn,ME
Joined Jul 2008
59 Posts
Looking at the photos it appears to me that you need more wing area. Short stubby wings just don't fly to well. Seriously though, check you angle of attack of the wing. You may have to lengthen the nose gear or put on a larger wheel to get the AOA right. Good luck- she's a pretty bird- but get someting else to try first flight.
smithfj is offline Find More Posts by smithfj
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
What size engines are in it?
2 x DS55
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfj View Post
Looking at the photos it appears to me that you need more wing area. Short stubby wings just don't fly to well. Seriously though...
Actually, these are the wings that came with the B-25. Are you saying the wings are too short?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:57 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
647 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._B-25_Mitchell

You're missing the left and right outer wing panels.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:47 AM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
307 Posts
Is RC groups so boring that we have to now engage in fiction? Who are you, really? You've been to top gun, haven't you, don't lie!
andernamen is offline Find More Posts by andernamen
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:28 AM
Dweebster
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2008
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A..._B-25_Mitchell

You're missing the left and right outer wing panels.
What Warbird Hoosier has bought is actually the clip wing version, for more aerobatics. The gear is only for landing, and not taking off. You need to have a friend hold it while you run up the engines, then have him take three steps and throw it. I see kids doing that in the park all the time.

P.S. Make sure you record a flight video for us.
dweeb7944 is offline Find More Posts by dweeb7944
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:22 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird Hoosier View Post
I recently purchased a Top Flite B-25 used from Craig's List. This is my first RC airplane. I know, I know...a warbird doesn't make a good first airplane; however, I have logged nearly 200 hours on Real Flight G5.5 flying warbirds. I believe I am more than prepared for the historical maiden flight of my B-25.

OK, back to the problem. My B-25 won't take off. I have tried larger props and different nitro fuel and it still won't take off. The funny thing is that there seems to be plenty of speed during attempted takeoffs, but there is no lift...the B-25 simply won't leave the ground . It sure isn't much fun just taxiing up and down the runway . What could I be missing ? Below are a couple of photos of the B-25. Isn't she a beauty ? Any help will be much appreciated.
just get some e-size estes rocket engines, about 4 of em, and duct tape em to the wingtips for a makeshift RATO. you may just lift off before you hit the end of the runway
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I'm so confused. I can decide if not replying at all is correct, or saying "this must be a joke" is the right thing to do. My brain hurts now.
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
TBD..put the regular props back on and da wings..goofball..LOL
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:59 PM
Tye
Chacotoma, NM
Joined Jan 2004
698 Posts
Add more Nitro !