HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skunkworks2006, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:14 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
Have you put any additional carbon strips? They will eliminate wagging.
I'm waiting to be back in stock
No, no additional spars yet. I have to make a real solid effort to keep it under 70mph or that death wag shows it's face. Other than the foam in the wings just being generally soft, it's the only real weakness to this plane. It is my intention to eventually add that additional carbon in the wings. That's just MORE weight though. Which I'm pretty sure I have enough of already.

Here are some additional photos. Inspect them closely to see how I built it.

Bottom is light ply 6" wide. Sides are 6mm depron cords slightly oversize so there is more room. You can make them bigger or smaller depending on what your are trying to fit in. These cords are reinforced with some 1/8 ply which also traps the carbon spars and holds them down to the floor better. Front and back bulkheads are 1/8" lite ply. You'll see that I have the Dragonlink forward of the front spar, the battery and Cyclops OSD between the spars, and the BEC to the left of the ESC behind. To the right of the ESC is the current sensor for the OSD. It's a tight fit... but it works.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Last edited by turbodriven; Nov 12, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,275 Posts
My Latest FPV plane: A R2Hobbies 1.8m Passer-X. Fiberglass fuse and balsa / covered wings. Focus on aerodynamics so the FPV does not impact the efficiency and thermalling performance. Total cost in the air is about $350. 850g total AUW.

running a Racewood 300mW 1280 vTx, a Foxtech Cmos cam (with aero tail!), and Suppo Pigeon OSD. Will be installing L1D Variometer when it comes in. Mostly HK gear. 150W motor, so at most a warmliner.

GPS and 1280 antenna

BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,836 Posts
Nice! thats gotta get some great flight times!

Chris
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:34 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
No, no additional spars yet. I have to make a real solid effort to keep it under 70mph or that death wag shows it's face. Other than the foam in the wings just being generally soft, it's the only real weakness to this plane. It is my intention to eventually add that additional carbon in the wings. That's just MORE weight though. Which I'm pretty sure I have enough of already.

Here are some additional photos. Inspect them closely to see how I built it.

Bottom is light ply 6" wide. Sides are 6mm depron cords slightly oversize so there is more room. You can make them bigger or smaller depending on what your are trying to fit in. These cords are reinforced with some 1/8 ply which also traps the carbon spars and holds them down to the floor better. Front and back bulkheads are 1/8" lite ply. You'll see that I have the Dragonlink forward of the front spar, the battery and Cyclops OSD between the spars, and the BEC to the left of the ESC behind. To the right of the ESC is the current sensor for the OSD. It's a tight fit... but it works.
That hatch area looks positively roomy compared to my Z2!! I like all the plywood. My Z2 was prone to frequent damage until I rebuilt the centre section with plywood, and added a short section of CF spar across it. Mine is nowhere near as neatly done, but now it is a LOT more impact resistant - quite amazing really. The OEM Z2 should have come spec'd with a proper wood box like yours. Only item that would worry me is the wood motor mount - I like the metal ones.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,549 Posts
Going to be running 1.3 GHz 200mw gear onboard with the SONY 600TVL SUPER HAD II camera

I've been flying the PopWing (aka Teksumo) via FPV on 2.4 10mw and 5.8 600mw but with all the electronics on the bottom. Now everything's on top and I'm going to be testing the 1.3 GHz gear and later on, a UHF.

Rehinged the ailerons with strong reinforcement tape
ESC, RX, and battery now on top, foam modded
RX is AR600, dual antennas... one antenna is cut into the foam far away from the ESC
ESC now has an additional heat sink, for those long(er) duration flights over 25 minutes
Servos (Solar A107's) now cut into the foam and lay flat

Also bought a case for the cam to keep it protected. It's a tad on the heavier side but the PopWing will handle it.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,275 Posts
25 min is great! what battery? I run a nanotech2200 30c, and it has good longeivity, though I doubt I have done a 25min flight yet. S nice to launch and get up to alitiude without it sagging below 12V even. The Popwing is so satisfying to fly, I might just stick on a 1280 vTx like you did also instead of 5.8 I am using
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,549 Posts
Ha! 2200, bleach. I fly for nearly 1 hour and ten minutes with two 1300 3S packs. Land once per flight, then when the battery's dead. On each pack I can get over 30 minutes sometimes. It glides great too!

It's the best plane I've built by far and I'm having a blast with it, even just flying LOS while waiting for FPV system upgrades to arrive in the mail

PopWing Blue Skies Flying with Ben + Mom (3 min 36 sec)

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
My Latest FPV plane: A R2Hobbies 1.8m Passer-X. Fiberglass fuse and balsa / covered wings. Focus on aerodynamics so the FPV does not impact the efficiency and thermalling performance. Total cost in the air is about $350. 850g total AUW.

running a Racewood 300mW 1280 vTx, a Foxtech Cmos cam (with aero tail!), and Suppo Pigeon OSD. Will be installing L1D Variometer when it comes in. Mostly HK gear. 150W motor, so at most a warmliner.
Hey BCS, did you move the servos to the rear or they under the wing?
charlienofun is online now Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:35 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienofun View Post
Hey BCS, did you move the servos to the rear or they under the wing?
under the wing. This is such a lightweight rig with a long fuse, I don't think putting them in the tail would be wise. That said, I ended up putting some lead weight back there anyways! I also only put 1 9g servo for the tail - elevator only - to save space for electronics. Also my MG servos were too tall to fit standing up ina pair. No yaw control, bank and yank only, which is less than ideal.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Ha! 2200, bleach. I fly for nearly 1 hour and ten minutes with two 1300 3S packs. Land once per flight, then when the battery's dead. On each pack I can get over 30 minutes sometimes. It glides great too!

It's the best plane I've built by far and I'm having a blast with it, even just flying LOS while waiting for FPV system upgrades to arrive in the mail

Dan
awesome. I am going to turn my Teksumo into a night flyer now. It is already dark now when I get off work at 5!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
374 Posts
@BCS - thanks for the info! After I saw your post I liked it so much I started researching the air frame to see how much stuff I could fit
charlienofun is online now Find More Posts by charlienofun
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
here's my new plane: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773457
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,549 Posts
My latest PopWing renovations

NEW 1.3 GHz 200mw vTX (set for the new 1.258 GHz frequency, along with the RX too) is performing great so far in my bench tests. Patch on the RX is working good also. No lines in the video so far due to that awesome little torriod ring thingamabob that stops the noise from the ESC getting into the vTX/cam wiring.

Flight footage to hopefully come soon!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
will try to get flight footage (maybe some onboard too) tomorrow, if not then definitely by the weekend.
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,549 Posts
RCllamadude, I didn't know that was you! Dude I'm DJO on here

Nice creation, looks interesting enough

Dan
RCG Plus Member