HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:46 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,461 Posts
Had a little scare with my brand new Vyper 46" tonight...the plans said "use a generous amount of thick or medium CA in the slot, glue the vertical stabilizer onto the fuselage." So I used a generous amount of medium CA (onto the vertical stabilizer, not the slot!) and then stuck the vertical stab into the slot...it got halfway down into the slot and stuck right there...no amount of movement would get it the rest of the way down. After letting loose one or two words that I don't like my kids to hear, I stepped back, with my heart racing and adrenalin pumping...my brain thinking "oh no what have I done!? I've ruined a brand new plane on step 2 of the instructions!
So I got out the debonder and a flat bladed exacto blade, poured generous amounts of debonder all over the slot, and slowly worked the blade into the slot...after a few moments I started seeing movement, worked the other side of the slot with some more debonder, and within a few minutes, I had the vertical stab removed from the slot...with no broken balsa or damage! Of course at this point my fingers are covered with CA, but that I can deal with. Then I got the debonder out and wiped up all the CA that got all over the place. Then I put everything down and stepped away for a minute so I could let the adrenaline rush calm down. Whew...that was a close call. I'll have to get a new bottle of debonder after this little escapade.
-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
censored:
I'll have to get a new bottle of debonder after this little escapade.
-Mike
It was worth every cent for the debonder to get that apart... <phew> I hate when the heart stops during a new plane build.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:34 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
Mike... use epoxy you must not have been paying attention when that EXACT same thing happened to me with my glow edge. It might have been before your time on this thread. 5 min epoxy is your best friend I don't care what the manual says about that. CA will get stuck every time with the vertical stab.

It's so funny to hear about your reaction since mine was probably exactly the same. I remember the heart pounding feeling. I just ripped mine out with brute force cuz I didn't have any debonder. I had to spend 20 minutes gluing my stab back together in all the places it broke when I gripped it. Now I gotta try and find the post so you can feel like you have company
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Last edited by 3DNater; Aug 11, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:37 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Mike... use epoxy you must not have been paying attention when that EXACT same thing happened to me with my glow edge. It might have been before your time on this thread. 5 min epoxy is your best friend I don't care what the manual says about that. CA will get stuck every time with the horizontal stab.
+1 on what he said.... I have used the 20 minute finish epoxy since it is thinner and I have even more time to argue and second guess the alignment.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
here is my post right when that happened to me back in January.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...k#post17013971

Ooooh post 1111. That is going to happen to the date on 11/11/11 in a few months
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:57 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts
I got a couple of flights on my new 51" slick. a little trim on elevator and one click on aileron. Balance was perfect requiring a small amount of down elevator when inverted to stay flat.

It flies like a pig on 3s. Two 2200 mah packs in parallel are way too heavy for the amount of power I get out of them with a 700kv motor and 15x8 prop. It had unlimited vertical but the climb rate was really slow... the full throttle pull-out didn't inspire much confidence to fly very low.

I did do some nice inverted harriers though (up high). I'll have vids as soon as they are uploaded and I get a chance to fuse them together (4 clips).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:59 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,474 Posts
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:45 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,203 Posts
Quote:
I got a couple of flights on my new 51" slick. a little trim on elevator and one click on aileron. Balance was perfect requiring a small amount of down elevator when inverted to stay flat.

It flies like a pig on 3s. Two 2200 mah packs in parallel are way too heavy for the amount of power I get out of them with a 700kv motor and 15x8 prop. It had unlimited vertical but the climb rate was really slow... the full throttle pull-out didn't inspire much confidence to fly very low.

I did do some nice inverted harriers though (up high). I'll have vids as soon as they are uploaded and I get a chance to fuse them together (4 clips).
Cool.... New toy ready to go. Is that a 51 Slick? I have to get some White ultra cote to complete the repairs on the 51 I have here. My understanding is the 4S2200 is the best bat for this. I ordered some from HK US, not sure what is taking so long to get them.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:23 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
anyone know whee I can find 4 blade props..
12x10, 13x8, 13x10, 14x6, 14x8

all I can find are 15.5x12 and 11x7 in 4B
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Mike... use epoxy you must not have been paying attention when that EXACT same thing happened to me with my glow edge. It might have been before your time on this thread. 5 min epoxy is your best friend I don't care what the manual says about that. CA will get stuck every time with the vertical stab.

It's so funny to hear about your reaction since mine was probably exactly the same. I remember the heart pounding feeling. I just ripped mine out with brute force cuz I didn't have any debonder. I had to spend 20 minutes gluing my stab back together in all the places it broke when I gripped it. Now I gotta try and find the post so you can feel like you have company
Nate,
Good to know I'm not alone! I checked the dates - I joined this crazy fun twistaholics group in March of this year and your "event" happened in January. I'm not saying whether or not I read back in the thread after I found it - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
It is funny looking back on it - this little "voice in my head" was saying to use epoxy but another voice was saying "stick to the directions" (which I don't usually do if they "don't make sense"...but this is my first 3DHS plane, and the reputation of 3DHS made me say, "ok they must know better". Lesson learned - the internal voice is always right whether I listen to it or not. Thankfully there was no damage, the vertical stab went fully into the slot, the covering aligns perfectly with the fuse, and it is secure in there now.
(whew)
-Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:00 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Nate,
Good to know I'm not alone! I checked the dates - I joined this crazy fun twistaholics group in March of this year and your "event" happened in January. I'm not saying whether or not I read back in the thread after I found it - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
It is funny looking back on it - this little "voice in my head" was saying to use epoxy but another voice was saying "stick to the directions" (which I don't usually do if they "don't make sense"...but this is my first 3DHS plane, and the reputation of 3DHS made me say, "ok they must know better". Lesson learned - the internal voice is always right whether I listen to it or not. Thankfully there was no damage, the vertical stab went fully into the slot, the covering aligns perfectly with the fuse, and it is secure in there now.
(whew)
-Mike

Good to hear Mike!! When I did my Slick, I put the stab in and started CA'ing (generously as the manual says, lol) and next thing I know it is running down the fuse, hehe. Thank god for Acetone

Gonna head out and fly today after lunch and get some Video
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:18 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:

I use 3o min or more. Gives it time to soak in and make a strong bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post

You will have to settle for 3-blade
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post

Do any of these work for you?

http://www.zingerpropeller.com/4_bladed_propeller.htm
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,968 Posts