HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Hi Guys.....

Why is it..... "If I had only had" (insert appropriate distance)...8", 12" 18", etc...... I'm usually not that lucky...if I smack one of mine, it is usually going straight down...it wouldn't matter if there was ten more feet...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:55 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eplane65 View Post
I like to use 30 minute epoxy thinned with alcohol and brushed on all these areas.
And that reminds me.... My 70" Slick is now finished and ready for maiden....except that with your post, I now remember I forgot to CA all the motor box joints...

Thanks for the reminder....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
KB3VOJ
USA
Joined Sep 2007
2,591 Posts
Draknkep,

Make sure to take some pictures or video to share with us for the maiden. I would love to get a Slick that big, but I don't think I can fit it in my car. What are you using to transport it to the field?
cherokee180c is offline Find More Posts by cherokee180c
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:51 PM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Draknkep,

Make sure to take some pictures or video to share with us for the maiden. I would love to get a Slick that big, but I don't think I can fit it in my car. What are you using to transport it to the field?
The 70" isnt that bad. I was just measuring for the 89 and while i dont have a problem in the car i have a serious storage issue in my man cave. On the other hand as i get older i should get shorter anyway so what if it takes up the whole ceiling right ?

Mike
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:55 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I was looking at the storage options in the man van when I inherited it from Wife. For one thing, both rows of seats are permanently out. The SC fits in there with both wings on. There's also got to be a way to use those little retractable clothes hanger hook thingies to hang a PVC rack system of some kind. Definitely going to explore the possibilities when I get it back from the shop.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:24 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
I was looking at the storage options in the man van when I inherited it from Wife. For one thing, both rows of seats are permanently out. The SC fits in there with both wings on. There's also got to be a way to use those little retractable clothes hanger hook thingies to hang a PVC rack system of some kind. Definitely going to explore the possibilities when I get it back from the shop.

kendall
hey for less than $30 I built this...

measure it right and I can fold up my back seats and keep the "rack in back"...

pop down the seats and I can fit it all in I got rid if the bungies holding the velox legs as they were pulling in on the rack. now just a strap

all 1" PVC - Cheap and safe transport
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:42 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c View Post
Draknkep,

Well...I probably won't take video, as I wouldn't want to bore you ( I don't fly much 3D, but will try for some photos)

As to hauling it.....a Thule Model 1700 trailer, pulled by a Chevy HHR. (My HHR is black though). The HHR does a really nice job of hauling planes by itself. My son and I will take my 57" 330SC and five or six other planes in the 47" to 50" class plus all the needed gear with no problems just using it.

The top of the trailer has nice air cylinders on it, and lifts from the back, and also has a drop tailgate, so very easy to load and unload to and from. I put a sheet of 1.5" "egg-crate" foam on the bottom, and all I have to do is sit the models on it (the egg-crate acts like wheel chocks) and then I lay a packing blanket over everything...no problems....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 19, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
hey for less than $30 I built this...

measure it right and I can fold up my back seats and keep the "rack in back"...

pop down the seats and I can fit it all in I got rid if the bungies holding the velox legs as they were pulling in on the rack. now just a strap

all 1" PVC - Cheap and safe transport
Nice, but you might want to put some of that black foam pipe insulation around the PVC, just for a little padding, so less dents in airframes.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
Ready, Post, Aim
Cleveland, OH
Joined Nov 2007
5,909 Posts
Steve,

Does that bounce around? I love that size trailer if it could fit a good amount of planes. Can you share the internal room (dimensions) and what you can haul?
wedgewing is offline Find More Posts by wedgewing
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:15 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgewing View Post
Steve,

Does that bounce around? I love that size trailer if it could fit a good amount of planes. Can you share the internal room (dimensions) and what you can haul?
Hi Wedge...

As there is no weight in the trailer, it does bounce a "bit" however, with the foam, and the packing blankets, I have had no damage to any plane.

The actual usable interior dimensions are...

80" long X 45.5" wide, and the trailer bed itself is 14.5" with an additional 15" in the top.

However, Thule no longer makes this trailer (I think they went out of business) and they were somewhat expensive at about $1700.00. I bought mine from a company on Ebay that was closing them out, and I got mine for $1125.00 including shipping from Idaho to San Jose, CA.

It can supposedly haul 1200 pounds....and that's way more than I need to haul...

The cool thing about this trailer is the whole thing is made of galvanized steel, and the bed is made of 5/8" thick phenolic. So, no rust, and no rot. Of course living in San Jose, CA. means no snow, so no salt to make it corrode. As the top is plastic, I am going to have a form fitted cover made to go over it, so the sun doesn't destroy the plastic. There are nice round "bobbin" shaped "bungie hooks" all the way around it, to hook the cover to.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Apr 19, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:20 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
The Sbach is a sharp looking plane, and the Slipstream version, looks great,(especially at $299.95) but it seems a bit heavy for a plane of that size. Of course it is designed as a gasser. I would love to have a lighter electric version. There is a gentleman that flies at the club I belong to that has a larger version..as noted, a great looking plane.

SteveT
its actually not that heavy. check out my slipstream sbach thread where I posted weights. Looks like all up, ready to fly will be right about 9.07lbs with a 6s5000 pack.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; May 05, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:57 PM
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jun 2009
592 Posts
So could you get away with a AR6110E in this airframe? I know its not recommended but I have one haha. If not there will be one for sale here shortly
kygreen229 is offline Find More Posts by kygreen229
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
961 Posts
It will work, but it's a gamble. I MIGHT use one in my light set up. I would NOT use anything less then an ar7000 in a 1+kw setup. My Two cents...
Zeb
tuck is online now Find More Posts by tuck
Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:10 AM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
It will work, but it's a gamble. I MIGHT use one in my light set up. I would NOT use anything less then an ar7000 in a 1+kw setup. My Two cents...
Zeb
An ar6200 would work just fine. No need for a 7 channel receiver and the 6200 is just as much a full range receiver as the larger AR7000.

I fly both spektrum and Fasst and the only thing I'd put a 6100 series receiver in would be some smaller foamy model
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined Aug 2004
976 Posts
+1 on AR6200. Works great.
tho98027 is offline Find More Posts by tho98027