Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
734 Posts
Discussion
Aero Ace to B-25

I have been watching them fly and reading about the many different ways people have been enjoying the Aero Ace offerings. I finally decided to take the plunge in an effort to realize a long time goal to have a small B-25. The B-25 has been a long time favorite airplane of mine. At any rate, I finally took the plunge and bought the only Aero Ace my local Toys R Us had on the shelf. I flew it a few times to get the feel for the little bird and then removed the components for my B-25 project.

The result is shown in the photos. The B-25 is based on my rubber powered No-Cal plan and is made from 1/32" balsa that has been run through my HP 1120 inkjet printer. The wing span is 16". The fuselage, nacelles, and fins are double laminations so each side can have printing. The flying weight of the original Aero Ace was 23.8 grams. The finished B-25 came in at 18 grams.

She flies great. My only problem is the low end of the throttle range is just a bit too much power to allow level flight. It wants to keep climbing. Outdoors that is not too bad, but I intend to fly this bird indoors as well. I can kill altitude by holding a tight left turn but I fear it will wander when flown inside and will probably hit the walls. Time will tell. This was a fun short term project and looks like it will provide plenty of flying enjoyment. The plan for my rubber powered B-25 can be found on my web site at http://www.parmodels.com.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by gguy
I forgot the transmitter!
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
I like it!!! It looks pretty cool. Keep up the good work!

Post a vid if you can!!

By the way, what is it made out of??? it it is made out of foam the ny oucould enter it into the "foam plate cook up". I think they are choosing winners in the next month or so!
gguy is offline Find More Posts by gguy
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:43 PM
del
Find More Posts by del
del
north of Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
1,827 Posts
Paul!
Great model!

And highly amusing to find that another long-time FF modeler, like me,
has gone to the dark side of the force... No, not That! RC?!!!

But it is a bunch of fun to putt around indoors and not have to worry
all that much about hitting the walls and girders..

--del
del is offline Find More Posts by del
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2000
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguy
Post a vid if you can!!

By the way, what is it made out of??? ...
It is made from 1/32" balsa sheet. No foam in this one so it can't participate in the foam plate cook up. I will get some video as soon as I can. Probably in several days.

Del, thanks for the complements. It is a nice companion to my Free Flight models. I'm having fun converting my Free Flight No-Cal models to R/C. Makes it easier to blend in on indoor nights .

Paul
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by gguy
I forgot the transmitter!
Tucson Arizona
Joined Oct 2006
1,407 Posts
I perefer balsa also over foam plates for the AA gear!!!
gguy is offline Find More Posts by gguy
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by del
But it is a bunch of fun to putt around indoors and not have to worry
all that much about hitting the walls and girders..

--del
But Del, that is what steering poles and balloons are for!

Jerry who also lurks on both sides of the fence
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Nov 21, 2006, 02:02 AM
CSI
Find More Posts by CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,052 Posts
Paul,
That is an absolutely stunning B-25 job! Very well done!!! I am impressed and realy hope to build one of my own.
I am a bit unclear about your comments on using your printer. What exactly did you do/use it for?
I have 2 aero aces just collecting dust in the closet that would love to become a B-25. Please, any pointers and help to get me going would be most appreciated.
Again, great job.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:28 AM
Find More Posts by mike3976
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,946 Posts
I got the plans for this one too, allthough I have yet to try printing on tissue or balsa! The 18 grm all up weight is nice with the AA gear.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by Murdock-Monkey
Maidstone - UK
Joined Oct 2006
174 Posts
I'm currently working on a depron version of my B-25 for the Aero Ace kit, will post alternative plans (to the balsa) once complete...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587100
Murdock-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Murdock-Monkey
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Ralph B
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
637 Posts
One note of interest that Paul did not mention is the fact that the AA electronics are used "bone stock". No modifications are required. I was a witness to the first flights of Paul's B-25 and can confirm that it's a winner. Watching it banking into the sunset a short distance away gave me the feeling I was watching a full scale B-25.

Ralph B
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:22 AM
Joined Jun 2000
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Paul,
... I am a bit unclear about your comments on using your printer. What exactly did you do/use it for?
I have 2 aero aces just collecting dust in the closet that would love to become a B-25. Please, any pointers and help to get me going would be most appreciated.
Again, great job.
Ken
Ken - I use the printer to apply the graphics directly to the balsa sheet. This process requires a printer that has an option for running stock straight through the printer as opposed to wrapping around the rollers. I have a description of the process I use on my web site under the Techniques and Reference section (http://www.parmodels.com). By printing directly on the balsa you save the weight of printing on something like tissue and then applying that to the structural material (balsa, or foam). Based on the way the B-25 flies, adding a little weight by using printed tissue over the balsa would not be an issue. Printing the graphics on tissue makes it possible to use any printer. Once printed, the tissue can be applied to your chosen structural material.

Paul Bradley
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:33 AM
Joined Jun 2000
734 Posts
For anyone interested in building an Aero Ace B-25 from my plans I have set up a PDF file containing the templates and some building notes. The templates have been set up specifically for the R/C model as opposed to the rubber powered Free Flight plan on my web site. Hopefully, this will make it easier for anyone wanting to try an Aero Ace B-25. The templates can be used for printing on tissue or balsa. That should make it easier for people wanting to use foam as the structural material, or for balsa builders who do not have access to a printer with a straight through printing option for printing on balsa directly.

Paul Bradley
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
Here is one I made a few months ago when the No-Cal cook up was running.
Never got around to posting it. Its all foam dinner plate construction with
cheap dollar store or wallmart tissue The wingspan is 12" exactly.
Stock AA bipe gear and 130mah lipo. Modded TX for turnwithout throttle of
course. F.Y.I the AA bipe motors are 6x10mm when the AA jet is 6x12mm.

The real suprise is the tiny P-40 I did. Used a lightened SW rx , 50mah lipo, AA 6x10mm pager with AA prop, Homebrew 50ohm actuator although I wish I'd use a 100ohm on this size. WingSpan is 10 inches As soon as you get the Motor thrust angles dialed in, C.O.G perfect, and cut down the strong rudder it is a real DrEaM to fly. I can get 15min of flight on the 50mah flying the entire time on lowest throttle It gets hard to keep it airborn when the lipo hits 3.30-3.40v and without the LVC built in I just swap lipos and keep flying making sure I never see anything close to 3.00V. I fly in a huge 6 field soccer park and most of my flying is doing figure 8's around the goal posts. Its also amazing that on lowest throttle it gains altitude very good and If you want it to come down, blip rudder one way , then hold it the other and watch as it does insane death spiral barrel roll's and if your quick on the sticks its not hard at all to get it in a straight line and recover. I've had about 20-25 flights on this 10" P-40 po-boy racer until I hit the tool shed in the backyard. The good news is the rare AA prop didn't break. The bad news is the Motor shaft snapped.

My large original scale P-40 is all done. 16" wingspan with SW gearbox combo, 130mah lipo. Full flight report will be in the SW mod thread.

Foam dinner plate cook up.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=592167&page=2

No cal cook up and brief build guide
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...26#post6124228

SilverLit SingleWing faq and mod thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...88#post6282088
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Last edited by bEbOp ?; Nov 21, 2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:22 PM
Joined Jun 2000
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bEbOp ?
Here is one I made a few months ago when the No-Cal cook up was running.
Never got around to posting it. Its all foam dinner plate construction with
cheap dollar store or wallmart tissue The wingspan is 12" exactly.
Stock AA bipe gear and 130mah lipo. Modded TX for turnwithout throttle of
course. F.Y.I the AA bipe motors are 6x10mm when the AA jet is 6x12mm....
Nice fleet of "No-Cal" models. It is great to see the graphics from my web site being put to such good use. I appreciate the information on the motors. Since I'm just getting on board the Aero Ace/Spin Master wagon I have not picked up all the accumulated knowledge yet.

As is being demonstrated by people such as yourself, the only limit on what can be created for equipment like the Aero Ace gear is our imagination. You have a great fleet of models, keep up the nice work.

Paul Bradley
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
CSI
Find More Posts by CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,052 Posts
Paul,
Thank you so much for providing the info and details of your B-25 project. You have certainly done some very creative and solid work. I hope to use you info and create my own nice B-25 and make you proud! My 2 Aero Aces just sit too much in the closet collecting dust. I just don't seem to want to pull them out, but I think something exciting like a B-25 could change things!
Thanks again,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member