Old Jun 09, 2016, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Fly and Drive RC
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
821 Posts
New Product
HobbyZone Champ S+

It seems HobbyZone will releasing a Brushless Champ S+ (SafePlus) around Mid July 2016 with a whole bunch of advanced features

HobbyZone Champ S+ RTF and BNF (2 min 52 sec)

Using Panic Recovery on the HobbyZone Champ S+ RTF and BNF (0 min 50 sec)

AutoLand - When activated, the advanced AutoLand function puts the Champ S+ on a stabilized approach to autonomously land near the takeoff point. When flying in rougher conditions, you can provide some directional guidance and let the system do the rest to execute a safe landing.

Holding Pattern - Push a button, and the Champ S+ will automatically fly to a point near its takeoff location and circle at an altitude of approximately 65 feet. Once the command is cancelled, you have full control of the aircraft and can continue to fly.

Virtual Fence - It's easy to accidentally let an RC airplane get too far away, but with Virtual Fence worry no more because it creates a virtual boundary the airplane won't fly past. When the Champ S+ encounters the Virtual Fence, it automatically turns around inside the boundary and wags the wings letting you know you have control again.

Panic Recovery - If you ever lose control of the Champ S+, just switch to beginner mode and release the control sticks. SAFEŽ Plus technology will return the aircraft to level flight.

Flight Envelope Protection - Pitch and roll limits keep the Champ S+ from entering into extreme flight attitudes and conditions.

AS3X - Works automatically to stabilize the Champ S+ with the sophistication of 3-axis gyros to help battle the influence of turbulence on windy days.

SPECS:
  • Wingspan: 27.3" (694mm)
  • Overall Length: 18.2" (462mm)
  • Flying Weight: 3.7oz (105g)
  • Motor Size: 180 brushless
  • Radio: Included
  • Servos: Included
  • Prop Size: 5 x 2.75
  • Wing Area: 114.5 sq in (738.8 sq cm)
  • Speed Control: Included
  • Recommended Battery: 7.4V 280mAh 2S
  • Landing Gear: Yes
  • CG (center of gravity): 1.1-1.4 in. (29-35mm) back from the leading edge

FEATURES :
  • Exclusive SAFEŽ Plus drone technology from Horizon Hobby
  • 3 Flight modes - Beginner, Intermediate, and Experienced
  • Innovative AutoLand technology lands the airplane by itself
  • With Panic Recovery, stable flight is resumed by simply releasing the sticks
  • Holding Pattern allows you to pause your flight with the push of a button
  • Virtual Fence keeps you from flying too far away
  • Durable and lightweight construction so no FAA registration is required
  • FPV ready using the compatible camera (SPMVA2500) and headset (SPMVR1100) or monitor (SPMVM430) sold separately
  • 280mAh 2S 7.4V 30C LiPo battery providing up to 12+ minutes of flying time
  • Powerful 2S brushless power system
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Last edited by IndiaHobby; Jun 11, 2016 at 07:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2016, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Fly and Drive RC
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
821 Posts
Reserved For Mods & Tips

IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Jun 09, 2016, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by BridgeInspector
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2014
106 Posts
Nice!

HobbyZone Champ S+ RTF and BNF (2 min 52 sec)

BNF 149.99

RTF 169.99
BridgeInspector is offline Find More Posts by BridgeInspector
Old Jun 09, 2016, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by BRGT350
United States, MI, Grand Haven
Joined Oct 2012
257 Posts
good looking bird with some really nice features! Seems like a nice fit between the Sport Cub S and the new mini Apprentice S. Priced and sized accordingly.
BRGT350 is offline Find More Posts by BRGT350
Old Jun 09, 2016, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by JohnFM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
2,454 Posts
Looks like it might be a not to expensive step up from the Sport Cub S for those ready for a little bigger plane, but still not something in the 4 foot wing span area.
At about 4 ounces it should handle a bit more wind, plus a brushless motor is hard to beat.
JohnFM is offline Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old Jun 09, 2016, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by DrewC
Foam Flyer
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
Looks like it might be a not to expensive step up from the Sport Cub S for those ready for a little bigger plane, but still not something in the 4 foot wing span area.
At about 4 ounces it should handle a bit more win.d, plus a brushless motor is hard to beat.
Agreed. For $40 more than a RTF Sport Cub S, you're getting a ton more plane. HH may have bitten themselves in the butt on this one, I see Sport Cub S sales dropping after this one gets released
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Last edited by DrewC; Jun 09, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2016, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Joined Nov 2012
354 Posts
Looks interesting to learn on as a first plane. I will wait for the test flights to know if it behaves differently from a J3 Cub for instance.

I have noticed that beginners (my boys) get quite addicted to beginner mode with the SCS and it is difficult to drive them to the next step because they catch some bad habits such as pushing the sticks all the way which result in disasters when you quit assisted modes.

I wonder sometimes if a double transmitter without too much electronics is not a better initiation route.

But if you are on your own this proposition is hard to beat.
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
Old Jun 09, 2016, 10:35 AM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
2,454 Posts
Ain't gonna hurt 'em much. They've sold box carloads of the little Sport Cub.
Old Jun 09, 2016, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by betterrcbuilder
MorE t0Yz iz m0Re gO0dER
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Aug 2013
96 Posts
Does the mini apprentice have a 48" span ? I saw that and thought it may be a misprint .
I am going to order one to fly off the lake early morning and evening ...water is like glass.
betterrcbuilder is offline Find More Posts by betterrcbuilder
Old Jun 09, 2016, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by David Wile
Headed down the far side.
United States, PA, Mechanicsburg
Joined Apr 2015
120 Posts
Hey folks,

I am a terrible flyer - poor eye hand coordination probably. I started flying the Sport Cub S back in February of 2015, and thanks to its SAFE features, I can actually take off, fly, and land without beating it up. When I go to the advanced mode, I can even do loops, but trying to do rolls usually is what causes me to auger in. In any case, if it were not for the SAFE function in the Sport Cub S, I would not be flying.

Now they are coming out with the Champ S+, and I am definitely moving to it. I am especially looking forward to the "virtual fence" function of its SAFE system. I did have one fly away from me and was never able to be found. That one was not out of range of my transmitter; it was simply out of range of my very old eyes.

Bring on the Champ S+. If I do auger it in, I bet I could use the Champ S+ receiver brick in the Pitts for a SAFE receiver in it.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
David Wile is offline Find More Posts by David Wile
Old Jun 09, 2016, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by slyme
Simon
United Kingdom, Gosport
Joined Apr 2016
388 Posts
Want one. Now. Before I have to buy (yet) another motor for my Sport Cub S. Looks like this will replace my SCS but not my orignal Champ. I really like flying my little Champ because it is so simple and it forces me to fly without SAFE but I do enjoy the Sport Cub S a lot and I think this new Champ S+ will take its place. If for no other reason than the better motor.
slyme is offline Find More Posts by slyme
Old Jun 09, 2016, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by slyme
Simon
United Kingdom, Gosport
Joined Apr 2016
388 Posts
I wonder how long before I can actually get my hands on one here in the UK - months probably. I bet I end up buying a new SCS (I do go through them) before this is available.
Old Jun 09, 2016, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by jwp2
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
2,047 Posts
Looks like I'll be getting another plane! This one looks like the sweetest offering yet!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jun 09, 2016, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by slyme
Simon
United Kingdom, Gosport
Joined Apr 2016
388 Posts
Does anyone know how the autoland works in respect of direction? Does it really figure out wind direction at the time of landing or does it land in the same direction in which it took off on the assumption that the take was into the wind and that the wind has not changed direction since take off?

I've been wondering about this ever since I bought a Sportsman S+. I activated autoland within about twenty seconds of taking off for the first time (I got really nervous really quick and just wanted to land it) - what happened next (long story) was so alarming I haven't trusted the GPS functions since. In fact I've only flown it four or five times and never for more than about two minutes - it makes me really nervous.
Old Jun 09, 2016, 02:45 PM
United States, WY
Joined Oct 2014
2,454 Posts
The manual for this new Champ is available on the HH site now.
All these electronic bells and whistles its RX has sounds pretty amazing.
I'm sure it all depends on a GOOD GPS fix.
Evidently it can sense altitude, AGL I guess. And some how knows wind direction and will attempt to land at the point of take off.
Sounds great if all this stuff works like it's supposed to.
Hurry up and get one ordered so you can tell us how all this magic works.