Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Thumb
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Build Log
bashing a balsa J3 kit to a super/cub

I have had a J3 kit for about 2years, and did not want another J3

Then stumbled on Leroy Gardner's super cub bash, over on the other site and reading his thread decided that would be something that has not been at my clubs field. So I contacted Leroy and he has provided me with the tail group dwg's and I am now following his build hear on RCG.
So I will steal some of his Ideas and technique's to do this bash, Mmy plan is to build a reasonable/fair facsimile at this point I hope to have it ready to maiden in the spring of 2017 as our flying season will be starting in a bit.

With that said I plan on posting pictures as I go and may even ask for info/help as needed

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Tom Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Tom Thumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
question

how do you post pictures ?

Cheers Bob T
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Leroy G
Leroy G.
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thumb View Post
I have had a J3 kit for about 2years, and did not want another J3

Then stumbled on Leroy Gardner's super cub bash, over on the other site and reading his thread decided that would be something that has not been at my clubs field. So I contacted Leroy and he has provided me with the tail group dwg's and I am now following his build hear on RCG.
So I will steal some of his Ideas and technique's to do this bash, Mmy plan is to build a reasonable/fair facsimile at this point I hope to have it ready to maiden in the spring of 2017 as our flying season will be starting in a bit.

With that said I plan on posting pictures as I go and may even ask for info/help as needed

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377
Way to go Bob, great to see you get one started, it's a good kit and not hard to bash into a super cub, you can go as far as you want with it and I will be watching.

Leroy
Leroy G is offline Find More Posts by Leroy G
Old Feb 04, 2016, 08:35 AM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
still need help on posting pictures, They don't seem to drag from a file to the attachment box

Any one
Old Feb 04, 2016, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by RagwingFan
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined Jun 2015
266 Posts
Bob T/Tom Thumb

I do not do use the "drag" feature. when I post pictures, I use "click to browse" option.I then locate the folder in my pictures on my laptop where I have stored my photos. Not sure if you have tried this option.
RagwingFan is offline Find More Posts by RagwingFan
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
well hear we go again

I don't have a big enough door in my shop, so to keep from dinging the elevators decided to put a strip of 1/32 AC ply in them pic. 1 then laminated as in pic 2
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagwingFan View Post
Bob T/Tom Thumb

I do not do use the "drag" feature. when I post pictures, I use "click to browse" option.I then locate the folder in my pictures on my laptop where I have stored my photos. Not sure if you have tried this option.
Thanks red wing
Old Feb 04, 2016, 03:42 PM
Find More Posts by RagwingFan
United States, TX, The Woodlands
Joined Jun 2015
266 Posts
Let there be pics

now no excuse, pressure on as folks will be watching pictures for progress.....
RagwingFan is offline Find More Posts by RagwingFan
Old Feb 04, 2016, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Progress will be slooow but I do plan on posting as I go , but as soon as flying season starts I have 6 ready to see if they can still fly

Cheers Bob T
Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:47 PM
Leroy G.
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Progress will be slooow but I do plan on posting as I go , but as soon as flying season starts I have 6 ready to see if they can still fly

Cheers Bob T
Bob I click to browse too, never tried dragging anything except my butt.

Any flying around here is still 2 months off, expect to have mine done by then. In the mean time you have a lot of work to do, look forward to your progress.

Leroy
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:39 PM
Leroy G.
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
1,294 Posts
I don't need to post a picture Bob, just move the engine mount forward 1/2" and include 2 deg. down thrust and some right thrust, forgot, what the plan calls for on plan top view. 1 deg. I think.

Leroy
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:45 PM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Hi Leroy and Guys

The reason I ask about the length of the fuse was in my book on the super cub it talks about it but did not say ware ie: nose or the empennage area, but the nose makes cense, and 1/2 inch will not be a problem

Thanks

Cheers Bob T
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:23 PM
Leroy G.
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Hi Leroy and Guys

The reason I ask about the length of the fuse was in my book on the super cub it talks about it but did not say ware ie: nose or the empennage area, but the nose makes cense, and 1/2 inch will not be a problem

Thanks

Cheers Bob T
The reason for that is the super cub PA 18-150 is 2" longer than the standard ones to accommodate the larger engines up to the 180 HP, hence the 1/2" longer nose.

Leroy
Old Feb 09, 2016, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Thanks Leroy Kinda figured that, but thought I would ask. sent you a pm

Well if I can up load some pic's it is my progress, still finish sanding etc required, but also doing some forward planning
Old Feb 10, 2016, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Kaos40
Australia, WA, Melville
Joined Jun 2014
333 Posts
Dragging photos is easy if you open two windows side by side. Have the RCgroups Go advanced Reply in one window and all your photos in the other window. Highlight the photos you want to copy in your photo window and drag the lot in one shot into rcgroups. Having two windows open is the key.
Kaos40 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos40