Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Lockey
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
4,238 Posts
Build Log
Vixen .. Grass Slide or Water

My all-time favourite plane would have to be the Polaris it flies superbly, costs very little and is relatively easy to build.

Only two criticisms and they both relate to the tail .. the nacelle is not the easiest thing to build, it requires long extension wires to the motor/esc and it breaks off very easy with a heavy landing ..... mmmmmm maybe thats 3

In the past I have done a few modifications to the Polaris, one being to take the best of the Polaris and the Aqua-Cat designs and combine them to make my “Polar-Cat”…. Polaris with twin booms to strengthen the tail

I have since played around with a couple of different models with a high top fuselage and pusher arrangement and thought this might interesting to use the PROVEN Polaris configuration with a pusher arrangement

I have added the twin booms (al-la the Aqua-Cat/Polar-Cat) but these can be discarded if you don’t like them.

All up weight with 1500 / 3s battery ... D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor … 6x4E propeller … Turnigy Plush 40amp Speed Controller is 587 grams (20.7 ounces)

I am playing with a couple of different versions, one with a rounded fuselage top, one with a flat fuselage top (for the guys who don’t like to bend Depron) and one with the swept wing configuration like the Aqua-Cat...... mmmmmm maybe thats 3 too must learn to count

I have built and flown my prototype, and it flew well ... but it looks like I will have to build another as it is now living up a tree (about 15-20m up) and doesn’t look like coming back home in the very near future.

I decided to call this one “Vixen” … a female FOX .. so could be "Foxy Lady" ... in Australia this would be … “a sheila with attitude” ...

Lockey

Vixen Maiden (3 min 17 sec)

Vixen up a tree (1 min 24 sec)
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 04, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:58 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
4,238 Posts
Here are some pics of the build, I will do more when I build the next one and will try to put together a "construction guide"

By the way, I used "Foam-Tac" for most of the build, with just epoxy for the motor mount and CF spars

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jun 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,796 Posts
An instant classic. Many of these will be built.

The tree disaster is heartbreaking. We all have nightmares about plane-eating tall trees.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by mckeemj
Joined May 2013
83 Posts
Agreed that this is a classic. I'm quite tempted to put one together myself, and I don't have water to fly from... or grass -- gotta love the alpine desert! Don't have to worry about many trees though -- our nearest is about five miles away.

But seriously, beautiful lines and it looks like it handles exceptionally smoothly. I especially like the look of the curved fuselage/pusher model.

Martin Jay McKee
mckeemj is offline Find More Posts by mckeemj
Old Jul 01, 2013, 01:16 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
4,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeemj View Post
Agreed that this is a classic. I'm quite tempted to put one together myself, and I don't have water to fly from... or grass -- gotta love the alpine desert! Don't have to worry about many trees though -- our nearest is about five miles away.

But seriously, beautiful lines and it looks like it handles exceptionally smoothly. I especially like the look of the curved fuselage/pusher model.

Martin Jay McKee
Thanks Depronicus and thanks Martin, maybe I should have said "grass slide, water, sand. bitumen, gravel, and most other surfaces" ... incuding trees

Lockey
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:39 AM
Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,346 Posts
looks like a good one. too bad about the tree lading. maybe one day it will return to earth.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:35 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
4,238 Posts
Plans now on first post … as always, only condition is that you post pics and details of your build

Enjoy

Lockey
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by jclassic1
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,417 Posts
That is an absolute beauty ,I built the Polaris but found it a bit too fast for my old eyes to keep up with it.
Is there any chance that I may be able to fit a lower KV motor say around 1500KV with an 8" prop on this foamy.
Great build by the way,I am sure my one won,t look so good.

John
jclassic1 is online now Find More Posts by jclassic1
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
9,392 Posts
Tony has sent the original CAD files to me for CNC development.
I "could" do all 3 , however, I am leaning towards doing the Square Delta version only

Guys who want to round could simply do some sanding.
And guys who want the Swept could just modify the wing, cutting away a small amount of material.

But I am open for discussion here.

Since these Vixens all require 3 sheets of 39x13.5 x 6 mm Depron plus a minor amount of 3mm Depron
the pricing will be $36 + shipping which will include laser cut horns too.
And is guaranteed to fit in your favorite tree ! ( opps sorry tony, Black Humor )

C U L8r ... I'm off to CAD land for a couple hrs :-)

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Jul 01, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by G550Ted
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,748 Posts
Hi Lockey!

I'm here, and thanx for the new thread. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with your fertile imaginative designs and build rate.

A couple of items. I see that you didn't use any kind of forward spar in this build like those used in Polaris and your previous variants. Was your reasoning that it is not necessary? Deleting the booms is an interesting thought in further simplifying the build but I believe that the fin area would need to be enlarged for good directional stability which would detract from an appearance perspective.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by Model Aero
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,741 Posts
Awesome design and build Lockey. Does it fly much different than the Polaris? I would guess the booms add some stability and aid in tracking.

Very nice!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:58 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
4,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Hi Lockey!

I'm here, and thanx for the new thread. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with your fertile imaginative designs and build rate.

A couple of items. I see that you didn't use any kind of forward spar in this build like those used in Polaris and your previous variants. Was your reasoning that it is not necessary? Deleting the booms is an interesting thought in further simplifying the build but I believe that the fin area would need to be enlarged for good directional stability which would detract from an appearance perspective.

Ted
Ted, I don't believe its necessary to have another forward spar, the one at the rear seems to do the job OK, whilst the booms take a little longer to make, they make it MUCH easier to line everything up

Bob, leave it up to you mate, its a very easy quick build on either one, I am sure you will work out which is the better one to do.

At the prices you charge, I wish I was nearer, I would never cut mine out again ... thats my pet hate, cutting out by hand and the edges are NEVER straight ... MUST GET ME A CNC ROUTER ... by the way Bob, went round to pay a visit to my Vixen today, its still hanging in there

Thanks Scott, much appreciate your comments ... I think the twin booms do add to the stability as they did when I build the Polar-Cat, this is why I wanted to try this one, I don't fly as well as I used to many moons ago so i need something that will fly nice and slow when I want it to ... BUT it will climb vertical and is very quick if you want it to be. ... but YES, I think it flies very similar to the Polaris ... but then I guess it should as its almost the same configuration eh

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Jul 01, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
9,392 Posts
What ? no discussion yet ?

Oh well !

I have the Square Delta version Done and will be ready to cut anytime anyone wants one.

Bob
Hoosier Cutoout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jul 01, 2013, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by kadil
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Hey Lockey,

The Vixen flies like she has a very light wing loading. In the first video, you really slowed her down before touchdown and neither wing dropped. Nice!

Makes me want to merge your Vixen design with my high wing polaris build. Too many projects.
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
...It's getting harder and harder to keep up with your fertile imaginative designs and build rate...
Yes, it really is. I suspect Lockey is one of those people who doesn't require a lot of sleep.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus