New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2015, 04:51 AM
Find More Posts by areid
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
I want to see a video of landing up there...
areid is offline Find More Posts by areid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by SlowMotion27
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2013
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by areid View Post
I want to see a video of landing up there...
It's a small spot and not easy to land in.

I dream of the days when I flew at Hoon Hay and Allandale on the port hills.
Allandale especially, where you could just feather your aircraft in at zero groundspeed. Mind you, this was all frontside
flying and the slope ships we used back in the 90s were quite lightly loaded.

If I can get some footage of my, or anyone's landing at Moirs, I'll put it up some time, should be good for a giggle
SlowMotion27 is offline Find More Posts by SlowMotion27
Last edited by SlowMotion27; Jul 08, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by sll914
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,306 Posts
Nice Flying Neal! Glad to see you having fun with the K2M!
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Jul 08, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by jonoashton
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
685 Posts
Great flying. Looks like the sheer is very high. I will have to bring a glider next time I come up that way
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Jul 08, 2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,097 Posts
Awesome fling Neal!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2015, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by Jets:)
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Aug 2006
144 Posts
My flying sucks, not enough practice
Jets:) is offline Find More Posts by Jets:)
Old Jul 09, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,097 Posts
Sht dude, I thought it was pretty good!

You are certainly due for the 300 club! You could easily get there with that model and the right day/place
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by taurineman
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
503 Posts
Got some DS in today up Nagio. Dave P from Palmy came up, as well as Peewee. Wind was about 75-80kph from the NNW. Not too much damage done. A few unintentional arrivals and the ever-present landing mishaps.

I got 175 with my new AFP-70 which flew like it was on rails, 189 with my gyro-burner, and 150 with my Reaper. I think best of the day was 223ish from Jono with his PMS. Dave maidened his new PMS (including a very close fly-by which made me sh*t myself and drop to the deck - see about 1:40 in video)

Was good to get out and DS. Good to see Dave and Peewee up the hill too!

Jono's PMS @ Ngaio (6 min 53 sec)

My AFP70 Maiden DS (10 min 49 sec)

Dave's new PMS maiden DS (4 min 58 sec)

Jono's Scorcher (7 min 15 sec)
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Today, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by jonoashton
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
685 Posts
It was a great day up the hill. Dave and I got there first and got to test the air with a Smack 60 and an AFP 70. Pete G and Pete W arrived shortly after with a good swag of planks in hand. The air was good and smooth-ish (for the site) but not a whole lot of power.

Pete G flew his Reaper to a respectable speed (can’t remember what) and then just as I looked away there was a serious thump indicating a premature “landing”. Surprisingly, the reaper came back in good condition so Pete must have lined up a pretty soft spot for his “landing”.

I then flew my PMS, complete with a spare tail that Dave gave me. Somehow Dave’s elevator had far more response that my old one and it was pretty dam touchy on the elevator. It was good while things were going as planned but in those panic moments (I have a lot of those) I gave it way too much elevator to recover. After 10 minutes of terrorizing the lads and with a top speed of 223mph, I decided to land and try and sort things out. The only problem is that I can’t land for shite so although very repairable that was the end of my PMS for the day.

Pete W then flew his Reaper but found that it was way too light for the conditions, however he is talking of building a heavier AFP shortly-ish. Then we will have to watch out.

Pete G then DS’ed his AFP70 for the first time. After a bit of warming up and getting used to the model Pete went ahead to get a PB of 175mph. I am sure that once he gets famillar with the model 200 will come easily for him.

Dave did what no one else has ever attempted. He maidened a glider at Naigo. Naigo has the worst landing area that I have ever seen but Dave seemed unaffected by what would be a guaranteed disaster if I was to attempt such folly. Dave’s new PMS colour scheme did not work at all well with the dreary dark day and was almost impossible to see at times but Dave soldiered on to get 180mph before giving up and landing.

Pete flew his Gyro Burner while Dave was off landing and from what I saw it was hauling. The top speed was 189mph but looked a lot faster.

Right at the end of the day I put my Scorcher together. I have owned it for ages but have been too fussy and have never thought the day has been good enough to fly it. I found it very sluggish on the elevator so had to switch to high rates and then also turned snap flaps on. Once it picked up a bit of speed it came to life and was a totally different model to fly becoming nice and responsive. I didn’t push it too hard and was still rewarded with 215mph. I was surprised that once it picked up speed it cruised at 200+ effortlessly even on big lazy circuits. If I don’t dork it, I predict plenty more speed out of the Scorcher.

Jono
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Today, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by josh18
608 km/h!
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,961 Posts
Great to hear you guys had a good day out and well done Jono on getting the scorcher going. It will just cruise all day at two hundred Jono, and with the wind you guys get you'd just about do it every time and more on those really good days!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Today, 05:17 AM
Find More Posts by josh18
608 km/h!
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,961 Posts
Just watched the vid Jono- you were stringing some nice laps together there, and it looked pretty rough!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18