SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:15 PM
Tryin 2 get in2 slot cars
Viktoria, British Kolumbia, Kanada
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
Yippee!
Welcome to the boomerangs and frisbees forum. How did you get into them??

Kudos, thanks, and accolades to the administration for giving this forum a try.
I hope enough people will start threads and post here to insure this forum's survival.

In my opinion, boomerangs are really underappreciated. You kind of have to actually see some good throwing of various types of flights to appreciate them I guess. They're much more like a wing than a stick really.
I think they're a good companion (as are kites) to RC flying for when the weather is too windy (or not windy enough in the case of slope flying, etc.).

Anyway, I got into line control a little as a kid, then recently free flight, then RC gliders, then indoor micro, then boomerangs. With all of these, I'm much better at theory than practice.

For me, I'm able to use boomerangs more often with less muss and fuss than any kind of model plane. As with aircraft, there's no end to the complexity of building and controlling. It's kind of like free flight where the throw is really really important and controls the power as well as the trajectory.

I'm looking forward to using this forum. [no applicable smiley ]
jay flay tway is offline Find More Posts by jay flay tway
Last edited by jay flay tway; Nov 25, 2005 at 07:48 AM. Reason: had the keyboard backwards
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:06 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I got into ulti at university, and for whatever reason, I got hooked on it. It's a great game, and lots of fun (which is what sports should be, in my mind). I've developed a really good flick, but for some reason, I just can't throw a decent hammer.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:58 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Personally, I've always liked flying saucers and making disks and rotating wings just to flick or pitch across rooms and such :-)
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:58 PM
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
Pete,

I've always found it interesting that almost any rectangular cross-section stick when tossed into the air almost any way will eventually end up in a stable spin with a flat spin precession and have a fairly slow rate of descent. I made one of that foam board and it kind of returned like a boomerang when chucked "across" my kitchen.

You'll probably like this one:
If you cut a strip of paper into about the length of a dollar bill and about one third as wide and then cut halfway through it from top to bottom about one inch from the right edge and do the same from the bottom up 10% from the left edge, then bend it into a teardrop shape and interlock the cuts so it looks like a bit like a fish, it'll do this spinning, precessing thing and fall quite slowly. It looks like a blimp, actually, a bit of an illusion. The easiest to make and throw paper aircraft. I made these when I taught English at a summer camp; the kids loved it and it was something anyone could make right the first time. I played around with ratios to maximize the "glide angle."
Old Dec 04, 2005, 07:59 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Do you have a folding diagram for these? I tried to follow it, but I can't seem to "see" it.

-joedy
Joedy is offline Find More Posts by Joedy
Old Dec 05, 2005, 12:18 AM
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
Something like the below. Hope this looks right. ...
just put the two halfway-through cuts together by bending(not folding) the middle area of the paper. Oops, that didn't work. looked right here but now when I posted it. hmm. i don't have a camera. i'll try to think of something.

.................................................. .................................................. ......
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
.................................................. .................................................. .......
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:09 AM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
Here is a link: http://users.bigpond.net.au/mechtoys/flyingfish.html
Are there any small indoor frisbees or anything similar?
beep684 is offline Find More Posts by beep684
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:05 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Hi there,

Well it's been a few years, but I've got a small collection of T.W. Smith Rangsmith booms. I've got the 3mm and 4 mm`Voilas, a couple of Karma 4's and most of his closed form triangle, small field tossing shapes like the Whisper, Dreamer, a 5mm Stella and my favorite, the 3mm Asterix. Mine are all hand signed and dated from '92 to '93.

I've also got an 'Orizon MTA in 3mm with some mods that I've added, although I don't think I've made much improvement in it's flight, as I'm not quite strong enough get enough altitude for really long alofts. MTA stands for Maximum Time Aloft, it's the thermal duration aspect of boomerang throwing. TeeDub (nickname..) was a MTA champion for a few years back in '90 and '91 I've also got a synthetic MTA type from a builder in Sacramento CA that I've lost the name of.

TeeDub's booms are all made from really high quality, Finnish, metric thickness birch plywood and despite their unusual shapes have pretty rudimentary airfoils, really just rounded slightly LE and TE's.

I've also tried a few of my own designs, the fact being I was trying for more of a elliptical blade shape, but I didn't get the shape right as there also needs to be some weight in the bend of the boom to counterbalance the larger tips and they don't return well. Extended slow corkscrews into the ground at high speed is all I get out of most of these booms I made.

I've lost track of TW, as he was on the edge of not making it as a manufacturer, which is a shame as his booms are some of the nicest flyers for light to moderate wind days. I'd even say his traditional 'Voilas can be flown in still air conditions with plenty of wrist snap and the correct launch angle. The Karma is a more open field slightly windy day flyer. It also has the most dynamic of flight patterns depending of it's height and the power it's thrown with, yet you can fly it on still days if you have the room.

He also made the Dove and Swallow, both are a real joy to take to the beach on a breezey day, as they're fast, range far and yet have a nice transition to a "puff hover", as Tee Dub called it. If the conditions were steady you could get the Dove to return nearly within arm reach. I don't like having to chase a unpredictable boom all over the place.

I started with the slightly cheaper Australian made plastic booms, I can't remember what the company name was. I lost a few of them just learning how to get the technique down. There was a bunch of discussion when I started, about launching using the thumb and index finger pinch hold, or "palming" with the index finger along the TE of the following blade while held firmly between your thumb and middle finger. I find the "pinch" launch works for me with the blade against the web of my thumb. I'm right handed, T.W. also made lefties

Anyway that's my story I might just get these out to try today although I keep losing them in the brush. It's the ultimate destiny of most good flying boomerangs, despite the day-glow colors most of mine are painted. I also paint the undersides black with white tips to make them show up better against the sky.

Loooeee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:27 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
403 Posts
I've made a bunch of boomerangs that fly great and often I can catch them 20-30 times in a row when they're dialed in. Best part is they cost less than $2!

You will make a boomerang with 4 blades coming radially from the center at 90 degrees from each other.

Code:
        ^
       | |
       | |
       | |
 ______| |______
<______   ______>
       | |
       | |
       | |
       | |
        V
Materials:
1 cheap yardstick (usually $1)
1 wire coat hanger

Tools:
1 pocket knife
1 pair of pliers

1) Score the yardstick at the 18" mark and snap (modelling or pocket knife saw works better). You'll now have two 18" halves.

2) You will attach the two halves in the middle to form the 4 8" blades. Carve an airfoil on the top side of all four 8" blades. For a right-handed boomerang, the airfoil should be wider on the left when facing up. The boomerang will fly counter-clockwise.

3) Lay one of the 18" sticks on top of the other at 90 degrees in the middle to form your 4-blade boomerang.

4) Cut a 8" section of coat-hanger wire. Bend the wire around the center point of the four blades with the wire running over the top of the top section, below the bottom, over the top, and below the bottom again. Twist the ends together and cut off the excess. Now to tighten it, grip the sections going over the top of the boomerang and twist toward the middle to take any slack out of the wire.

5) Run the boomerang under hot water. Focus the hot water on 6" from the end of each blade. Apply pressure and bend the wings upward without breaking them.

6) Throw it straight ahead vertically forward with a snap in the wrist. Should come right back. Usually you can tune the performance through different warps of the blades.
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Last edited by sloperb; Dec 12, 2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:47 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I like the multi blade type of booms like the yardstick style. My dad and I made a few red cedar shake boomerangs that started out as the traditional "L" shape and then we found that the "t" shape returns in a smaller circle ,and hovers better at the end of the flight. My triangle form booms fly this way, but they're useless in stronger wind, unless you like a lot of exercise chasing them.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:53 AM
orlando, FL
Joined May 2004
284 Posts
whoa a forum for boomerangers!!!!! here in RCG!!! that is awsome!
I have been making my own wooden boomerangs for a few years now. It's a helluva sport! My favorite booms are MTA's gotta love those fly aways!!... Keep it alive guys!!! Lets get some of the rc guys down here or anybody else!!!!
Knife3dge is offline Find More Posts by Knife3dge
Old Dec 25, 2005, 09:45 PM
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
Excellent. Welcome, Knife3dge (cool name).
I love mta's too. Had one but broke it in many places. A 19-second flight with no thermals was the best I did. 19 seconds seems a lot longer than it seems though when the boom is in the air.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 06:46 PM
Registered Useless
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2003
417 Posts
First frisbee I saw was during vacation bible school, the big kids were playing catch and solitaire (flinging high upwind so it returns to the thrower) and I had to have one! I learned how to fly that disc too, did a lot of tricks and stunts. Got very good at hitting holes and guiding through trees. I would name frisbees as one of the influences that promoted my interest in aerosports.

30 years later I'm trying to recapture those skills, as I've recently taken up disc golf. Figured that for the price of a box of good golf balls I could get 2 Pro discs, and playing's free! As with ball golf, the great shots keep you coming back.

There's even a Pro circuit now (www.pdga.com) and three courses (soon to be 5) within an hour's drive.

I'll keep my golf clubs but my discs are going to get dirty more often.
scififlyer is offline Find More Posts by scififlyer
Old Jan 02, 2006, 08:40 AM
orlando, FL
Joined May 2004
284 Posts
Quote:
Excellent. Welcome, Knife3dge (cool name).
I love mta's too. Had one but broke it in many places. A 19-second flight with no thermals was the best I did. 19 seconds seems a lot longer than it seems though when the boom is in the air.
I've had 2 fly aways..unfortunately i didn't get any timing since they just flew away and we lost sight of them..but judging from the altitude the drop times would've been on the minutes.
Knife3dge is offline Find More Posts by Knife3dge
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:52 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I had an unofficial 30 second flight with my `Orizon while goofing around before work one morning at this field myself and a couple of fellow employees flew our booms at. Of course no-one was there to see it. Bummer.

One of my fellow throwers coulda been a top thrower if he put his mind to it. Man, he had the most amazing arm strength and technique. A real natural. He'd park his `Orizon 50' to 75' higher than our best tosses, in dead conditions no less. His `Orizon would whistle most of the way up, he'd put so much snap into it.

I still prefer light wind condition throwing for practicing precision catching. There's something magical about having a boomerang arc out and swing perfectly around on a decreasing radius to park in a nearly still hover just a couple of feet away from you.

I found Michael Girvin's website, he makes my other MTA, The Girvin Gelboom MTA. TeeDub had arranged a regional contest for our tiny group in Eugene back in '92, boy was that intriguing and humbling. Fancy catches, Austrailian Rounders, Juggling, and an MTA contest in 18 to 25 MPH winds. I was sore for a week afterwards.