HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:52 PM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Build Log
450 fuse with scaled down expectations.

Hi,

I've always enjoyed looking at other peoples scale models so I thought I'd have a go at something myself.

I've taught myself how to fly a Blade 450 3D (hover in ok and circuits but I still get nervous) but I think the pod and boom is somewhat soulless.

I came across an article in Helicopter World magazine showing a scale Lynx for a 450, it looks superb. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349288 and Rcminimans also looks great.

I wanted to do a scheme that was a little original but easy'ish to do as my first heli fuselage. I saw that the fuse builder also sold Augusta A119's. As that does not have a raised tail this seemed my best option.

I run a very small building business, I'm always chided about when we're going to make our first million, as that's very unlikely to happen I thought I'd better scale my expectations down to 450 scale and I came up with this scheme.

I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, in my head it's a work of art but usually in practice there are glue finger prints and wonky exhausts. I'll be sticking with the flybar and head set up of the blade as it's my first model.

Fuselage should come today but I thought I'd make a start laying out the transfers. I've been looking at pictures and researching the helicopter a bit, I'm making my own water slide decals.

I'm going to try to replicate my van, which should give them all a laugh at work.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew u.k. is offline Find More Posts by Andrew u.k.
Last edited by Andrew u.k.; Mar 05, 2014 at 12:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:28 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Hi Andrew, Nice one mate, your off to a flying start so to speak!

Iain's fuselages are really quite nice for the price, but need a fair bit of work to complete.
I like the idea of a company livery helicopter. I'd do the same If I was you!

Good luck with the build, and I'll be following closely.

Barry
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:29 PM
postcounts are meaningless
Joined Feb 2014
134 Posts
http://www.decalpaper.com/
Green Darner is offline Find More Posts by Green Darner
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:30 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
A little progress. I've cut and fitted the fuse to my blade 450 3d.
I wanted to see how it altered the flight characteristics. I'm pleased to say it flew well with no vibration.
It looks great in the air even without the paint and details.
Very happy.
Last edited by Andrew u.k.; Mar 22, 2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:35 PM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Nice one man!
Looks ace, and great to hear it flies great too.

Sounds like you've been well busy beavering away in the background!
Just a paintjob away from being a cool heli now. I realise this is the most daunting bit, but even a crappy job will look good in flight, and just you remember that! You could be flying a pod and boom still remember!

Looking forward to seeing how the new company chopper looks! Any tax relief for it? Lol
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:18 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcminiman View Post
Nice one man!
Any tax relief for it? Lol
Cheers, you're right it does look better than any pod and boom. I found the orientation easier too.
I do use all the odds and sods from work on other projects.
My next project is PVC quad. Customer funded as it should be made with off cuts from work.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:53 AM
Berkshire U.K.
Joined Oct 2006
525 Posts
A little more progress:

I made the rear fins out of balsa as I found the supplied vacuum formed wings a little fiddly.

My next project is to make a vacuum former, I made the nacelles out of PETG moulded with a heat gun over some of my children's plastiscene. Not perfect but not too bad for a first attempt.

I couldn't resist printing off a dummy layout.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 05:01 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Thats looking pretty smart. Should look ace when its finished.

As for moulding, I have a few tips.

You can use regular plastic drinks bottles to mould, very simply and easily. Wedge the mould (usually balsa) into a bottle with the ends cut off so its just a tube. Wedge it in well to one side, and then heat the bottle up with a hot air gun, so it shrinks around your former or mould.

My Vac former is just a box made from 12mm plywood, with lots of 3mm dia holes in the top. Around the edges of the box is draught excluder foam, the stuff thats got a sticky backing.
A hole in the side of the box is for the vacuum cleaner hose to attach to.
I then have a 6mm plywood square-ring with a handle, that the plastic sheet is taped to, to prevent it pulling when its being heated.
I use the grill to melt the plastic, and normally turn it over half-way to make sure both sides are heated evenly. DONT overheat PETG, as it will form wrinkles and webs, and wont form nicely. Styrene and ABS are easy to mould.

Im currently making a mahogany mould for vac forming an EC135 fuselage that will fit around my old Walkera 4#3 Double Brushless. It will be simple, but effective.

All e best,

Barry