SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:01 AM
United States, FL, Lake Worth
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
Help!
Lipo Hot!!

Okay so I finished balancing my lipos yesterday after about a 6 hours charge at
.5 amps, finished I let it sit for about an hour after the charge was complete they weren't hot not even warm to the touch, since I'd just fixed my traxxas TQi remote w/ docking base I wanted to do a speed run on my E-Revo. So I plugged in the batteries, linked the new remote, and off it went. I drove it for about 30 minutes. Mind you its dark outside and a lose dog started chasing my E-Revo. After I brought it inside I went to take out the lipos. the left side was nice and cool well maybe a slight warm to it, but the right side was hot as hell, not too hot to touch but very very alarming. So I put it in my home made strong box made out of 12 gauge steel ( slight over kill on the thickness? lol ). So my question is did I lose a cell intermentlly or what it got me baffled.
RcDragons is offline Find More Posts by RcDragons
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,683 Posts
Is this the same lipo you repaired a while ago? With the intermittent contact? : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1958088

If so, I assume the contact is still not ok, and bad contact can generate heat. I've seen connectors un-saudered due to bad connection, and the heat that was generated during driving.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
Hey solo no its not the lipo I repaired, the lipo I repaired was just fine it was the one that was cool not even warm to the touch. they are both venoms purchased at the same time...

Would the lipo on the negative side of the esc be drawing more power then the one on the positive side.

This is very confusing, I've never had a problem with these... except for the balance plug on the one.

Does the castle creation mamba esc have data logging on it?, if so I could probably check the voltage and amperage draw on it to see if the esc was just taking more power than normal..
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,683 Posts
Current runs in a closed loop, so you can't have more current running over the negative wire than over the positive one. Perhaps one lipo is going bad, or is developing the same bad connection problem as the one you repaired?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Sounds like the one pack has a higher internal resistance.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
I can see how the higher the resistance the hotter it would get but why now they've both be used together charged the same,...... I just realized something on my charger I can see the voltage of the 3 cells 1 and 2 where charging slower than 3, 3 was about .10-.15 volts higher. hmmm
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:54 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,683 Posts
It might just be unbalanced, but it could also mean a bad cell, so the voltage on it collapses earlier than the other 2 cells making up the 3S lipo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,843 Posts
Could just be an unlucky pack.

I've got six 2s5000mah packs for my boat that were all discharged to storage voltage before the winter and only have at most 4 cycles through them, I pulled them out a couple weeks ago to find one pack had puffed up HUGE over the winter while the other 5 are fine.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:06 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Could a bad plug be causing the excessive heat? Check the wiring to make sure it is not damaged or loose in the connectors.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
well I checked it last night its in the same condition it always has been very slightly puffy. I think i'm going to switch to another brand, any recommendations? I have a venom lipos and it seems like they just aren't the quality that they say they are. I have a 3s 5000mah pack that has lost a cell while charging and can't get it to come back, I've done this before with my other 5000 pack. I left it in the car for a few days oops, bad idea I actually forgot about it. It became so puffed up that I thought by even touching it it might exploded. but I let it acclimate to room temp for a few days. founded out it lost a cell put it on the charger at 0.1 amp took 9 hours but I got it to come back, has been fine ever since ( still puffy but can feel the cells inside are fine )
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:02 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,683 Posts
Ive been using a few brands lately, NanoTech 4200 stickpack from Hobby King, Reedy WolfPack 3000 mAh, RcPlus 4200 mAh, and Gen's Ace 3300 mAh. The Nanos have been fine, came well balanced. The RC Plus is almost a year old, and still in good shape. The Reedy came with some unbalance in the cells but after a few charges that was settled and the whole pack performed as one. The Gen's Ace I haven't used much yet, so I can't comment on that one yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
I've heard a lot good things about the NanoTechs and their fairly priced. I just don't feel like waiting 3-4 weeks to get them. lol I'm an impatient person. That's why I give a lot of respect to the people that do these huge projects.
Last edited by RcDragons; Jul 19, 2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: pressed enter to soon, lol
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,683 Posts
For me it helped that this type of lipo was available in a local warehouse, so I got it withing days, instead of weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:20 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
414 Posts
what specs was the venoms, why charge at .5A, Do you know the voltage when it came off charger.
On the brushed erevo one side drains faster than the other.
the venom universal connectors are troublesome.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:50 AM
Joined Jul 2013
45 Posts
not sure on the voltage, but I just cut off the uni connector and put on a traxxas connect seems to be doing better not hot any more but warm not, also the revo seems to have a bit better punch to it now. It can do cart wheels