HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
Please give advice

Hello, this is my first thread and I need some advice about how to repair the horizontal stab and elevator on this sig kadet lt-40. It is my first plane and I am unsure about how to go about fixing it
Thanks in advance
dalton11 is offline Find More Posts by dalton11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:00 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,186 Posts
from the pic it is hard to tell what you're trying to show...But the best fix is to glue the break back together.Then get a piece of the same materail and glue that "doubler" along the break
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
Here's some more pictures
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:29 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
do you have access to some balsa and some covering, for repairs!
if so, I would start by removing the elevator, should be replaced with a new full piece, if not, then try and straiten out the pieces, by putting them back where they belong!
depending on how good a fit you can get, you might be able too apply some epoxy too the joints! then tape in place while it dry's!
if you hafta you can peel back the covering, just enough to reveal the affected area, then tape back in place! scotch tape or packing tape is always good in this situation!
that should be enough to get you started, go ahead and post more Q's as you have them!

P.s. puts some sox on!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:46 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,592 Posts
Another option would be to butt glue the pieces back together and use some sheeting over the stab. Then use flying wires. But for me, I'd replace the stab.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
I have access to balsa and covering, but don't have the plans to rebuild the horizontal stabilizer (I bought the plane already built)
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:28 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
ok is it a slab stab? " solid balsa"

or a built up stab? " sheeted sticks"

not having the original plans, isn't the end of the world! we can rebuild, we have the knowledge!

if it's a solid stab, then that is too easy, just get some balsa the same thickness, and trace the out line of the stab, running the grain of the balsa, the long way!

if it is a built up stab, then you still need too copy the outline, and dissect it, so as too figure out the size wood used! and we will go from there!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
Here's what the stab looks like
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
Here's the pic
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Well then you have two options, you could try to re piece it together, or you could just piece it together best as you can and trace it onto a solid piece of balsa about the thickness of the sticks. Sand off the edges, then cover, and glue it into place. Then it will be stronger too. It shouldn't effect the weight much, but you may have to add a tiny bit of weight to the nose. Or you could cut a bunch of holes in the new stab you built to lighten it before you cover it. The possibilities are endless.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Jun 2013
6 Posts
What kind of glue should I use
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:21 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
epoxy would be best! and like I said in the beginning, it still looks like your gonna want a new elevator!

but it looks like to me, you could use some sticks the same size, and make some gussets! just keep in mind, too try and keep it as strait and true as possible!

you can either, throw it back together, and just fly, or go about redoing it all together! your plan is right there, and too me, I would throw some gussets in there and fly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Ya, I always use epoxy on my tail feathers, some people use thick ca or even medium. Epoxy is by far the most durable and permenent.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:27 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
im a believer in thirty minute epoxy but five min epoxy is good to and CA glue is quite strong. these are all good adhesives. its a simple fix my friend nothing an hour or two of peacefull tinkering cant fix. happy flying
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:11 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
what conbones said, if it was one of experienced guys, that could be field repaired in a few mins, with some ZAP an some tape!

but sense your kinda new, take your time and just keep it strait!
RCG Plus Member