HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:33 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
948 Posts
It was a great day for flying.

I had prepared well. I'd swapped the HPVT 25 for an OS 40 FS in the Super Scorpion and managed a couple of test flights on the Saturday. Before going to work in the afternoon, I put the Super Sixty on charge. I swapped it for the Super Scorpion when I came home, then I put the glow sticks and flight box battery on charge before retiring for the night. I didn't bother with the transmitter as it had only had two brief flights that morning. I woke early, packed the car and checked the transmitter voltage. It was as flat as a tack. I had left the transmitter turned on all this time! AAARGH!! Two hours at half an amp sorted that out, thanks be to nicads, then I'm off on the ninety mile journey to Oxfordshire.

It was a lovely warm autumn day. Cyclists and motorcyclists were out enjoying the weather and I felt that it was a pity that you couldn't do three things at once. I saw a Red Kite close to the venue. These birds were once almost extinct in England but they're now staging a come-back.

When I got to Cocklebarrow at around lunchtime, there were hundreds there and I had difficulty finding a place to park, but I got out the Scorpion, started it up on my Best Mate stand and flew it. I ran out of fuel on the landing approach and the model went in to the next field. I was lucky in that the model landed in long grass between a wood and a field sown to maize.The only damage was a broken prop; another modeller was less lucky, his Radio Queen went into the crop and couldn't be found. I saw another Red Kite and a deer when I went to retrieve my model.

Later on I flew the Super 60. It's still a little nose heavy and needed a hand launch from the grass square. Thank you, whoever you are, who launched the model for me.

I blush to admit that the one battery I had failed to charge was the battery in the camera. After I'd taken two pictures of all of the cars to show you all how well-attended the event was, I only managed to get one picture of John 38's Majestic Major before the camera packed up for the day.

For the record the following models were flown, apologies to anyone whose models are not mentioned: three Majestic Majors at least one of which was powered by a Laser 75 diesel; two or three Spooks; a Rhoma, the only one I've ever seen;a PB2; two R6Bs; two or three Super Scorpions and Super Super 60s; lots of Junior 60s two of which were powered by diesels made by Irvine and PAW; two or three Falcons flew with their usual grace and presence.

Enlarged models included a Tomboy, two Scrams, a Coquette and a Frog Firefly. A chap who set up near to me flew models fitted with throttled ED Comp Special and Mills 1.3 diesels. He had to make his own internals to get the engines to run properly. Electric powered models included the Scrams and Tomboy referred to above, a Black Magic and a rare Cavalier 60.

Finally there was the Tomboy event; identical models and engines, mass launch, the last one down's the winner. Great fun couldn't be simpler. Many congratulations to the organisers for staging such an enjoyable event.

Pictures attached for what they're worth, plus two old ones of my models.

Happy Landings!
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Last edited by Monza Red; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:35 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
948 Posts
It was a great day for flying.

I had prepared well. I'd swapped the HPVT 25 for an OS 40 FS in the Super Scorpion and managed a couple of test flights on the Saturday. Before going to work in the afternoon, I put the Super Sixty on charge. I swapped it for the Super Scorpion when I came home, then I put the glow sticks and flight box battery on charge before retiring for the night. I didn't bother with the transmitter as it had only had two brief flights that morning. I woke early, packed the car and checked the transmitter voltage. It was as flat as a tack. I had left the transmitter turned on all this time! AAARGH!! Two hours at half an amp sorted that out, thanks be to nicads, then I'm off on the ninety mile journey to Oxfordshire.

It was a lovely warm autumn day. Cyclists and motorcyclists were out enjoying the weather and I felt that it was a pity that you couldn't do three things at once. I saw a Red Kite close to the venue. These birds were once almost extinct in England but they're now staging a come-back.

When I got to Cocklebarrow at around lunchtime, there were hundreds there and I had difficulty finding a place to park, but I got out the Scorpion, started it up on my Best Mate stand and flew it. I ran out of fuel on the landing approach and the model went in to the next field. I was lucky in that the model landed in long grass between a wood and a field sown to maize.The only damage was a broken prop; another modeller was less lucky, his Radio Queen went into the crop and couldn't be found. I saw another Red Kite and a deer when I went to retrieve my model.

Later on I flew the Super 60. It's still a little nose heavy and needed a hand launch from the grass square. Thank you, whoever you are, who launched the model for me.

I blush to admit that the one battery I had failed to charge was the battery in the camera. After I'd taken two pictures of all of the cars to show you all how well-attended the event was, I only managed to get one picture of John 38's Majestic Major before the camera packed up for the day.

For the record the following models were flown, apologies to anyone whose model is not mentioned: three Majestic Majors at least one of which was powered by a Laser 75 diesel; two or three Spooks; a Rhoma, the only one I've ever seen;a PB2; two R6Bs; two or three Super Scorpions and Super Super 60s; lots of Junior 60s two of which were powered by diesels made by Irvine and PAW; two or three Falcons flew with their usual grace and presence.

Enlarged models included a Tomboy, two Scrams, a Coquette and a Frog Firefly. A chap who set up near to me flew models fitted with throttled ED Comp Special and Mills 1.3 diesels. He had to make his own internals to get the engines to run properly. Electric powered models included the Scrams and Tomboy referred to above, a Black Magic and a rare Cavalier 60.

Finally there was the Tomboy event; identical models and engines, mass launch, the last one down's the winner. Great fun couldn't be simpler. Many congratulations to the organisers for staging such an enjoyable event.

Pictures attached for what they're worth, plus two old ones of my models.

Happy Landings!
Last edited by Monza Red; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:40 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
948 Posts
Sorry about the double post. Mods please feel free to delete the second one.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Some more stills from the flyin. either did not remember names or didn't recognise them and owner not always there - probably like me - if not flying wandering round chatting and getting ideas etc.

unlike monza who could zap his TX battery and fly, in my rush to leave home to make sure I got a good parking spot to set up my pits, I did not do my usual check - and after 100 miles and unloading, I had 3 fuzes, 3 wings and only 2 tailends - so the big mamselle was grounded

The chap with the diesel majestic major was parked next to me and I looked at the engine and asked if that was the 80 size - no - it was the 100 size and he had done the mods himself. flew later in the day when it was not so hectic

there were 2 RB 6's - one electric and the other a 2 stroke glo. The glo one was heavy, built as plan which the builder said was over sized on wood etc.

John Ashby flew his scaled up ( its on the tip of my tongue ) - tinker ??
with his usual skill - fast or slow, very stable in the air.

I think there were 3 scaled up shrimpos - 2 shown

A lot of really nice finishes and colour schemes - the phoenix and the scorpion to name but two ( and apologies to the others for not mentioning )

more to follow -it takes time to sort them out and reduce the jpeg size for uploading

john
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:00 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Thank you for posting the pictures from Cocklebarrow John. I am enjoying the static shots. You never know, there might be a covering scheme that I might fancy and could borrow for a future build.

Do keep posting!

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,469 Posts
It's fascinating that the Brits seem to be so found of scaling up the Abzug Shrimpo
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Final lot of Cocklebarrow photos.

I missed photo'ing the tomboy mass launch flyoff but got the senior tomboy one - about 12 models in the flyoff. dont recall the time for last man down which i assume was inside the 14 minute max ( penalties for going over ). This rule brought in after a tomboy competition flyoff earlier this year when 3 fliers fought it out to about 45 minutes - meanwhile all the general sports fliers were grounded till they landed.

Looking forward to the next cocklebarrow flyin which unfortunately is not until 2013 ( 3 per year timed to fit in with the hay cutting. The actual landing strip is then mowed down to takeoff standard and is about 100 by 100 ft square

cheers

john
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,005 Posts
Some real beauties there. And a motorized "Fillons Champ"...very nice. Can anyone identify the red and white pylon model in the final picture?
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:06 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,648 Posts
Thanks for posting these John - did the Manx Queen fly? A model I have always fancied.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:18 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Sundancer,
I didn't see the manx fly this mtg but have seen them fly at previous - not aware of any problems.
Tony Tomlin who runs the tomboy comp has at least one and you can ask him for info - I think he posts his emails on the tomboy threads - search for TT plus tomboy should throw it up

john
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:23 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Looks like a Megow Ranger. Enlarged somewhat.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
Sundancer,
I didn't see the manx fly this mtg but have seen them fly at previous - not aware of any problems.
Tony Tomlin who runs the tomboy comp has at least one and you can ask him for info - I think he posts his emails on the tomboy threads - search for TT plus tomboy should throw it up

john
Thanks John, I'll do that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:02 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
It's a long trek from Yorkshire (Old Warden is easier) but I could be tempted next year - if we have a Summer!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
633 Posts
A long trek?
I lived a couple of years in Sheffield as a lad (from OZ), could not understand the concern at a bit of a drive.
I did the Cowra Oily Hand Weekend (2 full days of diesel bliss) this year.
9 hours there, 9 hours back.
I envy UK for so many events withn easy drive - don't pass them up!!!

(Did almost the same trip with the family a month later, but had to go a few more hours further on to Katoomba.)
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:18 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
A long trek?
I lived a couple of years in Sheffield as a lad (from OZ), could not understand the concern at a bit of a drive.
I did the Cowra Oily Hand Weekend (2 full days of diesel bliss) this year.
9 hours there, 9 hours back.
I envy UK for so many events withn easy drive - don't pass them up!!!

(Did almost the same trip with the family a month later, but had to go a few more hours further on to Katoomba.)
The distances may be shorter Warren, but you can spend 9 hours in a traffic jam in the UK! My 14 mile drive to work sometimes took almost 2 hours - and I didn't live in the crowded south east. I doubt you would recognise Sheffield or it's traffic now. Thank God I don't have to do that any more!
RCG Plus Member