HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:28 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
jr

The JR 9503 has several mix programs for gliders. The dx-8 is not for everybody. It does a great job for the masses. Us gliders guys have other radios that are taylored to us. So leave the poor dx-8 alone. No other tx has a vibrator in it!
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
My Aurora 9 will be here tomorrow for a 3m fullhouse. I tried to adapt my dx6I, and it did work, basically, like a binoculars work as a hammer.
I was excited and hopeful to see the dx8 come out, but I really do want a radio that does everything, flying related that is. The vibrator action made me look twice, but my phone already has that job.
Less ugly and more bang for the buck, Aurora 9.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:29 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,672 Posts
I guess what I don't understand is why the DX8 would make sense over the DX7, since neither handle sailplanes and the DX7 can fly most sport planes plus all the little BNF dumpster dumplings.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I guess the Spektrum folks are just set on holding onto their share of the heli and BNF market and aren't concerned with the rest of the RCers.
It doesn't seem like it would have taken much to have sailplane programming; a veteran sailplane pilot and a a code writer probably could have done it in a couple weeks, maybe less.
Had they done that, they could have picked up a lot more customers who fly other things besides helis and powered fixed-wings. If it did have sailplane features I would have got the DX8, but because it doesn't I sold my Spektrum and am now a Hitec guy. In a way, I guess I am glad things worked out that way.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Oct 16, 2010, 07:29 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,420 Posts
looks like I made the right move, from my Dx-7 (a great heli radio) to the Futaba 8FG. I was going to wait for the Dx-8 but would have been really upset to discover this lack of sailplane programming.

This new 8FG has sailplane programming I haven't even figured out yet, and rock solid Tx to Rx signal reliability without having to configure a lot of "remotes" everywhere.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:42 AM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
Don't like the design of 8fg, I'm thinking of either 9503 w/dsmx or a9.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
561 Posts
Supporting a full-house (6-ch) sailplane with DX8 and 6255

I purchased a used full house sailplane. The previous owner removed his RX, and left the rest in place. I planned to replace the RX with a 6255 I already have. It seemed an obvious and easy conversion from his F brand setup to Spektrum.

However, I can't figure out how to wire this 6-channel RX to operate all of the servos in this craft. The DX8 6-ch sailplane download assumes the use of a 7+ channel RX. One channel (thr) is unused, this is silly and wasteful. The fus is narrow and features two antenna mount tubes for pig-tail 2.4GHz antennas (like those on the 6255). A 6255 is a perfect drop in replacement, except the DX8 wont work.

The docs for the AR6255 suggest use in 6ch carbon sailplanes. It's a perfect fit in the fus. The fus is a kevlar and carbon fiber mix making the 6255's twin pig-tail antennas a perfect match.

An 8000 will not fit, has the wrong antenna layout and lacks the pre-set fail-safe mode the 6255 supports.

I can not use a Y-cord on this craft to link the flaps, because the flaps are mounted as mirrored across the plane. I use a Y-cord with the RadianPro, because the flap servos are mounted in a non-mirrored fashion.

How do I use of the RX throttle channel for an Ail or flap channel?

The in Marketing who decided the DX8 wont support sailplanes needs a swift hard kick in the nuts! The DX10 isn't shipping, who knows when it will and there's no real reason the DX8 can't support mapping the throttle channel to support sailplanes. Pure marketing BS.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:48 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
I purchased a used full house sailplane. The previous owner removed his RX, and left the rest in place. I planned to replace the RX with a 6255 I already have. It seemed an obvious and easy conversion from his F brand setup to Spektrum.

However, I can't figure out how to wire this 6-channel RX to operate all of the servos in this craft. The DX8 6-ch sailplane download assumes the use of a 7+ channel RX. One channel (thr) is unused, this is silly and wasteful. The fus is narrow and features two antenna mount tubes for pig-tail 2.4GHz antennas (like those on the 6255). A 6255 is a perfect drop in replacement, except the DX8 wont work.

The docs for the AR6255 suggest use in 6ch carbon sailplanes. It's a perfect fit in the fus. The fus is a kevlar and carbon fiber mix making the 6255's twin pig-tail antennas a perfect match.

An 8000 will not fit, has the wrong antenna layout and lacks the pre-set fail-safe mode the 6255 supports.

I can not use a Y-cord on this craft to link the flaps, because the flaps are mounted as mirrored across the plane. I use a Y-cord with the RadianPro, because the flap servos are mounted in a non-mirrored fashion.

How do I use of the RX throttle channel for an Ail or flap channel?

The in Marketing who decided the DX8 wont support sailplanes needs a swift hard kick in the nuts! The DX10 isn't shipping, who knows when it will and there's no real reason the DX8 can't support mapping the throttle channel to support sailplanes. Pure marketing BS.
It is not necessary to have every possible mix conceivable in order to fly a full house sailplane. You can fly a full house sailplane on a standard 4 channel radio or a Dx5e 5 channel radio. So don't think you can't do it on an 8 channel DX8 with a 6 channel receiver.

Spektrum does not offer a sailplane radio and does not claim to offer a sailplane radio. So what are you complaining about? They never told you it was a sailplane radio.

It is great that they publish set-ups that allow their non-sailplane radio to approximate the mixing of a sailplane radio. I am not aware of any other maker that does this to the degree that Spektrum does it. But you will have to use the type receiver they specify.

If you want a sailplane radio then you need to buy a sailplane radio. JR covers the sailplane market with the 9503 and 11X using Spektrum technology. But their set-up for a full house glider is probably based on a 7 channel receiver too.

To use a 6 channel receiver you can buy a reversing Y cable for the flaps. This is also a common practice when using a full house glider on a 6 channel receiver where the flaps are mirrored to each other.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN2&P=ML

If you don't want to use a reversing Y cable and you have open user mixes, you can probably slave the 7th channel (aux?) to the throttle channel. Not sure it will work in all the ways you want but you can give it a try.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Spektrum does not offer a sailplane radio and does not claim to offer a sailplane radio. So complaining about it make no sense. They never told you it was a sailplane radio.
The problem is they could easily support mapping AUX2 to the unused THR, but don't to force purchases of the unreleased DX10, that's Marketing in action.

They suggest using the 6255, and clearly designed the RX with a feature, to support sailplanes. There's no TX to make use of it. The AR8000 RX will not fit, and the antennas are of the wrong type. The 6255 is perfect. Where's the Spektrum TX that allows us to use it?

There's no reason to require 7 channels. Map AUX2 to THR, or allow us to disable the mapping from the throttle stick to the throttle channel and use a mix to produce the signal sent over the Thr channel.

Quote:
It is great that they publish set-ups that allow their non-sailplane radio to approximate the mixing of a sailplane radio. I am not aware of any other maker that does this to the degree that Spektrum does it.
While I like the DX8, I'm not looking forward to sending mine in for their DSMX recall/bulletin, which was itself caused by their lame attempt to lock out clone/compatible RX units. The loyal customer got screwed while the clone users suffered nothing. Typical of DRM and vendor lock in crap.

The DSM2 DX8 problem caused one of my helis (6100E RX) to crash many times. I spent hours rebuilding it replacing one active part at at time proving it was the DX8 causing the problem. Hundreds of dollars later, after stating over and over that the DX8 wasn't the problem, they announce their recall/bulletin. I'm not pleased with their lack of Q/A testing. Any real testing protocol would've uncovered this problem with many models of very popular RX units. People reported the problem very early on.

Quote:
If you want a sailplane radio then you need to buy a sailplane radio. JR covers the sailplane market with the 9503 and 11X using Spektrum technology. But their set-up for a full house glider is probably based on a 7 channel receiver too.
Or, get smart and sell my DX8 and pickup an SD10. I have a DX6i for BNF craft with built-in Spektrum RX.

Quote:
To use a 6 channel receiver you can buy a reversing Y cable for the flaps. This is also a common practice when using a full house glider on a 6 channel receiver where the flaps are mirrored to each other.

If you don't want to use a reversing Y cable and you have open user mixes, you can probably slave the 7th channel (aux?) to the throttle channel. Not sure it will work in all the ways you want but you can give it a try.
How do I unlock the throttle stick from the throttle channel? As long as the stick is linked to that channel it prevents a mix from using it.

The throttle stick is still required to source an input signal for mixes (flaps or crow), just allow us to unlink the direct throttle signal flow allowing a mix to take over. All it would take is a check box in a setup screen, swap THR with AUX2 on un-powered craft. Stop wasting a channel.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 06:34 AM
Joined Sep 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
This appears to be the only solution, short of replacing the DX8 and RX. Looks like a trip to the LHS today.

Will this cable function properly when used with flaps and their non-center normal positions?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:00 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
snip...

Or, get smart and sell my DX8 and pickup an SD10. I have a DX6i for BNF craft with built-in Spektrum RX.

How do I unlock the throttle stick from the throttle channel? As long as the stick is linked to that channel it prevents a mix from using it.

The throttle stick is still required to source an input signal for mixes (flaps or crow), just allow us to unlink the direct throttle signal flow allowing a mix to take over. All it would take is a check box in a setup screen, swap THR with AUX2 on un-powered craft. Stop wasting a channel.
The SD10 or the JR 9503 are great sailplane radios. SD10 uses different receivers. JR9503 uses sames receivers as the DX8.

I don't own a DX8 but I would be surprised if the throttle stick is locked to the throttle channel. Only the lowest end computer radios do that. While the DX8 may not have sailplane programming I would be willing to bet you can assign other things to the throttle channel on your receiver.

On my Futaba 9C super we speak in terms of channel numbers. The receiver has channel 1 to whatever. I can assign channel 3 (normally throttle) to other things and I can assign other functions to the left stick. And I can move throttle control so a switch, a slider or a dial.

I use left stick to control my flaps on my gliders. I would imagine the DX8 can do something similar to that.

I am not trying to say my radio is better than yours. I am trying to open up your view of how functions are likely mapped in your radio. Thinking of the left stick as the throttle stick which is tied to the throttle slot on your receiver may be true, but I doubt it.

It is quite possible that your DX8 can do exactly what you want it to do. You just don't know how to do it.

Perhaps someone who knows the DX8 will explain it. Or you can call Spektrum support. Or you can check the manual to see if it tells you how to do it.

I am not tyring to upset or insult you. I am saying that I think your radio can do more than you think it can do.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:02 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Quote:
JR covers the sailplane market with the 9503 and 11X using Spektrum technology. But their set-up for a full house glider is probably based on a 7 channel receiver too.
No, I believe the channel assignments of those JR radios allow you to use 6-channel receivers with 6-servo sailplanes. I understand that servo channels can be assigned freely.

I agree with you that Spektrum doesn't support sailplane programming and doesn't claim to, but I don't approve of it or defend it to the extent that you do. It's something that they could easily add to their radios at virtually no expense because it only involves internal programming, but they don't because of marketing strategies that companies like that typically employ when they believe they've achieved a monopoly on at least a major sector of the customer base and don't need to respond to what their customers want. If and when Spektrum sees a competitor stealing their business with a radio comparable to theirs that also offers sailplane programming, you can bet they'll offer new versions of their software.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Actually I read on a post that in Australia they have a radio called the DX9 which is really the JR9503 with a Spektrum label. I sent a PM to the poster to see if that is correct.

The original DX6 was a JR radio with Spektrum RF in it.

Many of the terms we assciate with Spektrum are actually owned by Horizon Hobby
http://www.spektrumrc.com/About/Trademarks.aspx

So I am guessing Horizon owns Spektrum

We know Horizon is the exclusive distributor of JR in North America

It will be interesting to see if they are going to merge the JR and Spektrum labels. I know there is a close relationship between JR and Spektrum but I don't know the exact corporate/finanical relationship between JR and Spektrum and Horizon.

And the beat goes on!
Last edited by aeajr; Jul 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:46 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,470 Posts
Quote:
It will be interesting to see if they are going to merge the JR and Spektrum labels. I know there is a close relationship between JR and Spektrum but I don't know the exact corporate/finanical relationship as to who owns who or if they are both owned by someone else.
I think it is going to be just the opposite. JR is going their own direction. They have their own 2.4 offering with their DMSS and have new 7 and 8 channel radios with the JR/PROPO badging. They also have a DMSS module to fit older JR module based radios. Currently these radios are not available in the US but I am sure they will be at some point in time. I believe the 8 channel one has sailplane programming.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,563 Posts
Dx7

I use DX7 on my Vector lll and my Trinitus F3B glider.

6 ch rx

I use:
Elevator with snap flaps
Ailerons with flapperons and with Spoilerons (crow)+ termal setting (both with elevator mix)
Rudder
Flaps at Thottle stick (and with elevator mix) (and with ailerons to flap mix) (one flap in the gear ch)

You dont need a glider radio to control a glider.
Its just a matter of make your own mixing

All channels are used, so I connect a flap to the towing coupling with a y cabel.

Towing the Vector lll (2 min 8 sec)
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN