HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:49 PM
Dothan, AL
Joined Mar 2003
216 Posts
Question
Electric motor "stand off" hardware?

I am building the FSK autogyro which has a dummy radial engine that my little outrunner has to fit in. It fits fine diameter wise inside the dummy engine, but it is not quite long enough for the prop to stick out of the front of the dummy cowl. I have seen pictures of people using tubing or something to get the motor further forward. Anyone have a good source for the parts to do this? Or maybe a picture of your setup that you extended?
RollingR6 is offline Find More Posts by RollingR6
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:21 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I believe Hobby Lobby has what you are looking for.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:33 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Rolling, a lot of guys use really cheap and easy nylon bushings from the hardware store. Usual is 1/8"ID, 3/8"OD, and you can get from 1/16" long and then 1/8" increments to 1" or more. Just use whatever combo with longer bolts it takes to get the prop out front . If bolt pattern is different or prop shaft needs to be in a different place, a 1/8" plywood adapter plate is easy. An example below. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Mar 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 02:10 AM
Dothan, AL
Joined Mar 2003
216 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess it's off the Lowes to scavenge the parts bins tommorow. That's if it's too windy to fly.
RollingR6 is offline Find More Posts by RollingR6
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:32 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,747 Posts
Another good material is plastic kitchen cutting board from Home Depot. Cuts like cheese with the bandsaw. Cut to 1/4 in. squares, cut to length,drill a hole throught the centre and your in business.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:27 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,914 Posts
Just beware that moving a motor forward will have a huge impact on the CG. Sometimes that plays right into your hand, but usually the opposite is true. Moving a motor forward is often necessary, even when it has an adverse effect on CG but doing it carefully will pay big dividends.

By "carefully" I mean do it as little as possible. It's often possible to shorten a cowl (from the back) a little which means you won't have to move the motor as far forward. Sometimes you can simply replace the prop collet and get the clearence you need. If you have to spacer the motor, you should use the lightest materials you can find and take the time to "fine tune" the length of your spacers so you aren't moving the motor any farther forward than you absolutely need to.

Of course the alternative is to just add weight to the tail when you're done and you might have to do that anyway, but the lighter you can keep your plane, the better it's going to fly.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Another good material is plastic kitchen cutting board from Home Depot. Cuts like cheese with the bandsaw. Cut to 1/4 in. squares, cut to length,drill a hole throught the centre and your in business.
My favorite spacer material is a sandwich of EPP foam with light ply glued to one or both sides. I don't try to make little blocks, though. I make a single block that fits under the entire motor mount.

I have an 800 watt motor spacered about 5/8" that way and it's still flying strong after 2 years.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:05 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1 Posts
standdoff hardware

Friends,

why dont you try emoderndeco for standdoff hardware items?

click here to visit

Avaialble in lots of sizes u can choose as ur requirement.

Accept all major credit cards inclduing paypal too.

Just go there and look youself.

Very reasonable and quality items for the price you pay off
amilanuwan is offline Find More Posts by amilanuwan
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:06 AM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,187 Posts
Not sure what size motor you need to move, here is what I did.

If you are going to Lowes, pick up a length of PEX tubing near the drip tube irrigation isle. It is like $5.00 for 5 feet.

Pex tubing, 10/32 threaded rod, washers, T-nuts, hex nuts, nylok nuts.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard