SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:30 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,021 Posts
Build Log
Composite Rutan Ares 70mm Build

So I was fortunate enough to talk Scott in letting me buy one of his second-hand kits We were talking about a joint build, so I hope to see some of his posts here.

As you may have guessed, it is an older kit made by K&A. The glass work is great and should be a pretty easy build. My version was not retract ready so I have some minor work to do there. Might actually turn out better since I can use electric retracts instead of the small MAP type.

Tons of sanding and cleaning to get the release wax off. Filling some pock-marks and cleaning up flashing.

As you can see I already have the mains mounted and working on the nose.

I have cut out the elevons and looks to be moving along well.

I ran into the first issue with the fan mounting and something interesting in the instructions. It mentioned the use of a piece of plastic hanging off the back of the exhaust to redirect to offset the yaw. Since the internal ducting is essentially straight, the exhaust will come out at an angle.

So, like on my last project I'm going to use a 3D printer to come up with a better solution. Basically I'm going to create a proper inlet ducting for the first inch or two and give a good platform to mount the fan to the fuse.

Secondly and more importantly I'm going to create the exhaust with integrated vanes to straighten the airflow before it exits. This should prevent the need for this extra "appendage".

As soon as it is modeled up in the computer I will post it. Scott: Let me know if you want a set made also.

Power system will be a CS12 with a ARC 28-58-1 on 4S and CC Ice Lite 100.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:34 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,021 Posts
More pictures of the real deal
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:55 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,824 Posts
Man no dust on your stuff..that was fast...I like the 2 seat version I havent seen that before..you should see what the full size looks like now..they were testing rocket motors with it..nasty lookin...I am in for a set of ducts when you make them..I was planing on molding a new set but your way sounds much faster...we need to add the Gau-8 to the side of the fuse also..Maybe it was the -12 not 8...humm
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Last edited by turbonut; Oct 16, 2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:59 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,021 Posts
I have ideas for a machine gun sound. Worked well on my last A10. Might 3D print thr one too.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:06 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,968 Posts
Hey Scott what other cool stuff you got laying around What can I talk you out of or trade for.......
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 16, 2013, 05:07 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,824 Posts
Cool.....No..now I must start one more project.......hey Bob...O I have piles of stuff...really!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:06 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Cool.....No..now I must start one more project.......hey Bob...O I have piles of stuff...really!
What!?!? You have more stuff sitting around? PM me with what you want to get rid of and I'm sure I can help you out.

I would love to see another K&A A6....
Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:29 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,824 Posts
How about a AMD Hawk with spare fuse?..that will be the first one on the block..I am getting rid of the arfs and keeping the really cool stuff
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:16 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
23,534 Posts
I know one of the current test pilots of the aeres...beeing used to test stuff....the plane has been belly landed twice in the last year...once by their chief test pilot...both times they just forgot to lower the gear lol. Cool bird...i saw it fly over my work a few weeks ago
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:54 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,968 Posts
Scott, pm me about the Hawk. Would be a great plane for my son Blake
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,824 Posts
Hi Sean, No more A-6...I dont think Ken even has any ....Have you thought about the paint job yet? I think I will do a what if style...Desert Storm
Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:30 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Hi Sean, No more A-6...I dont think Ken even has any ....Have you thought about the paint job yet? I think I will do a what if style...Desert Storm
I'm thinking of the standard white/ silver / purple that I see on the web a lot. My friend is taking measurements for the ducting for the next few days so I can't make much progress until he is done.

How is yours coming along?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:25 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,583 Posts
i seen it fly many years ago ,and also saw it up close in a hanger ...i think the motor was out of it at the time ...really different looking bird ,but seems to fly very well.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 12, 2015, 04:34 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,824 Posts
Hi Sean,
Any news on this guy? ...I have mine out on the bench....I think I will just post here if that works for you.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 05:44 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,583 Posts
one at a time scotty ...concentrate man ...im one to talk I have 3 projects trying to get going .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY