Old May 05, 2015, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by bmw111
Live Free and Fly
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Apr 2013
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I'm taking a sober second look at the control horns supplied with the Bixler 2. They look just barely strong enough to rely upon. Do they have any known history of failure in flight?

Has anyone else considered swapping in something more robust, like Du-Bro horns?
I use Dubro hardware for the tail control surfaces since they are more "exposed" than the Ail hardware. I have my tail servos mounted in the tail boom close to the Ele/Rud. No issues with the stock hardware so far.
bmw111 is offline Find More Posts by bmw111
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2015, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by Sudsy
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
I'm taking a sober second look at the control horns supplied with the Bixler 2. They look just barely strong enough to rely upon. Do they have any known history of failure in flight?

Has anyone else considered swapping in something more robust, like Du-Bro horns?
I took a sober second look once. I'm a bachelor!

Sudsy

Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old May 05, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by mutha
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I took a sober second look once. I'm a bachelor!

Sudsy

Assume the sober look resulted in that status?

Apart from the spar I have found all hardware adequate on the Bix2.

It is not the sort of plane you need to over think unless you are putting expensive FPV gear on it in which case you would be best to mod everything to a standard you would feel safe with. Stock is fine with a camera for me.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old May 05, 2015, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Team Warpsquad
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
1,338 Posts
I did mine just because I already had a bunch of dubro horns tho I'm sure the stock are fine but they are cheap if it makes u feel better than go for it.

Now the horns on my mini skyhunter I Def needed changed out.
Mr.Aaron is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Joined Oct 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:

The stock servo horn snapped off. Fortunately it was landing impact that did the job, so the plane was already on the ground before I lost ELEV control.

I'll be replacing these with something more robust.

...this confirms my prior guess that these control horns would be too brittle and "snappy" for prime time. As compared say to Du-Bro or comparable control horns which give you a fighting chance of bending out of shape in extremis rather than snapping.

I would recommend not using the stock horns, even for bare stock spec park flying.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by mutha
Joined Jan 2011
3,299 Posts
Lucky escape syzygyQ.

Been flying my B2 for nearly a year and had no problems. Until the other week when showing off I did a touch and go and then immediately followed it with a bang and go Broke the connector on the rudder of all places! Easy fix, but shows the horns and connectors don't like being slammed into the deck
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Joined Oct 2011
1,080 Posts
Good observation.

I've got some HK ones that seem to be about as good as Du-Bro. While they sell at an 80% discount to Du-Bro, that works out to 0.40 per pair as compared to $2-. Big in terms of percentage, but still only $6- to outfit a Bixler 2, including flaps.

The Du-Bro's are pricey for a simple plastic widget, but well proven, and cheap in the grand scheme of things.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Today, 03:36 AM
Find More Posts by mutha
Joined Jan 2011
3,299 Posts
I always have a few Dubro nick nacks in my spares. Especially easy connectors and horns.