SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by The Tellurian
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
948 Posts
That elevator arrangement must be putting a huge amount of stress on the servo. How much deflection does it have?

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by bobflynjunky
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
That elevator arrangement must be putting a huge amount of stress on the servo. How much deflection does it have?

Richard
Actually the WalMart Titan flew like a jet this morning and it also slow glides like a sail plane. Real happy with it's first real 10 min flight. Just some minor adjustments and it will be perfect.

For now the elevator is good, there is a space right in the middle of the elevator at the end of the fus, and I have base wood with epoxy on both sides for a strong control surface. Really had good elevator control. The servo seemed to be working normal. It flew with a left crab attitude so I will need to add the rudder to correct that. ( See Note) I was able to do a loop with wing over and it rolls really great. It flew inverted just as good as right side up.

The wind came up and I got nervous so only did one flight today. The battery came in at 50%. Just right.

(NOTE) Did the rudder mod today and will try another flight tomorrow.
bobflynjunky is offline Find More Posts by bobflynjunky
Last edited by bobflynjunky; Apr 28, 2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:10 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
298 Posts
Rudder worked great, especially when I got the right / left movement set right. This was a bit of a problem on the first 2 min flight. Landed (lucky me) and set the rudder correctly and off we went again without any problems.
Need to use full elevator on the toss but 10 seconds into the air everything smooths out. I tried skidding it off the grass for a take off and again full elevator, it took to the air like an eagle. Flys really nice at half throttle. A 2200 3c lipo should last 10 mins at the least. Very happy with this WM Titan, it will be my every day flyer.

Added the Boscam FPV system and will be going under the goggles tomorrow, should work great.
Last edited by bobflynjunky; May 03, 2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old May 03, 2015, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Wildbird
United States, PA, Havertown
Joined Aug 2010
7 Posts
Paint

SNice,
I watched your video back on the first page of this thread and I was wondering a few things 1) what type of paint do you use 2) I plan on doing a pusher this time (I have done the front mounted motor a few times) with the research you have done with your EDF motor what angle would you think I would need on a pusher that will be mounted on the rear bottom of the fuselage ? I know EDF's are different so if anybody who reads could help I would be very grateful! Over the years I have gone thru a few planes and I tore them up by hanging it out too much so the Air Hogs made sense for me and my $$Wallet$$.....
Thanks in advance for any help you can give also to anyone else that can help!
Wildbird is offline Find More Posts by Wildbird
Old May 03, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by SNice
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbird View Post
SNice,
I watched your video back on the first page of this thread and I was wondering a few things 1) what type of paint do you use 2) I plan on doing a pusher this time (I have done the front mounted motor a few times) with the research you have done with your EDF motor what angle would you think I would need on a pusher that will be mounted on the rear bottom of the fuselage ? I know EDF's are different so if anybody who reads could help I would be very grateful! Over the years I have gone thru a few planes and I tore them up by hanging it out too much so the Air Hogs made sense for me and my $$Wallet$$.....
Thanks in advance for any help you can give also to anyone else that can help!
Hello Wildbird!

We're not too far from each other - I'm in Abington!

Glad to see this thread is still alive and well!

Anyway, the paint I used was "apple barrel" craft paint. It is available at walmart or michaels/acmoore. Nothing special - any acrylic craft paint should work. I brushed it on but it can also be thinned out and airbrushed. You can then seal it with a topcoat of clear polycrylic (minwax) or packing tape.

As for the thrust line, I kind of just used a TLAR approach. I did experience some thrust line issues but worked them out through trial and error. A full flying stab with thrust line parallel to wing plane was a great solution (for me). I never did a pusher on a full airframe (with tail) so I am a bit ignorant on the subject. Hopefully someone else will chime in! If you search the thread attachments, you may run across some good pics of pusher setups.

Happy Titan bashing!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old May 09, 2015, 01:14 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
298 Posts
Flying the WMTitan FPV every day now. What a great plane to do this with. With no wheels it will lift off the ground (grass) in about 20 feet and will fly really fast or just glide. Landing is great also, with the Quanum goggles set at 16.9 I see everything and just line up the Titan and cut throttle and it floats to the ground like a doscil glider.
Old May 10, 2015, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by vptech2
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jan 2013
18 Posts
My Hobby Lobby Raptor Glider conversion build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2410690
vptech2 is offline Find More Posts by vptech2
Old May 10, 2015, 05:00 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vptech2 View Post
My Hobby Lobby Raptor Glider conversion build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2410690
Nice build, looks really fast too.
Old May 13, 2015, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by jaybird555
Joined Dec 2010
21 Posts
another twin conversion http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=340190
jaybird555 is offline Find More Posts by jaybird555