SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:38 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Discussion
P-51 Mustang

Looking for scale plans to scratch build a mustang, don't want a pre-cut kit just the plans of a proven design. In the 60" to 70" wingspan or so. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great!
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:16 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,948 Posts
Check the MAN , RCM and MA sites, I know there's one there somewhere.
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:14 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,438 Posts
Brian Taylor plans. Right size range, extremely accurate in scale. Flaps, retracts, you name it. I have the plans for his 70" Hurricane, Mustang and Me 109E.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
171 Posts
How about this one?
http://www.tonynijhuisdesigns.co.uk/Mustang61.htm
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:31 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
Brian Taylor plans. Right size range, extremely accurate in scale. Flaps, retracts, you name it. I have the plans for his 70" Hurricane, Mustang and Me 109E.
Decided to go with the Brian Taylor plans, I'll be ordering the P-51 but also the Cessna 120 to get comfortable with building again. It's been a long time since I built a model and even then they were not as involved as the P-51.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:19 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,948 Posts
RCM has a 60" P51 under "miss kat brat" on their site. Looks very nice, I remember the article from the 70's. Simple build techniques too...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:30 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Joined Mar 2004
1,177 Posts
Unless something has drastically changed this year, the "nowadays" RCM plans business is VERY slow, bordering on negligent. From what I've seen on RC Groups and other forums, the trail of people who paid but never received their plans is long and unhappy.
John Rood is offline Find More Posts by John Rood
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:31 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,081 Posts
253 North-American P-51D Mustang 62 In Ws (3) - Frank Baker

http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=240
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:26 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,177 Posts
I remember Mr. Baker's pretty design when it came in 1967 or so in RC Modeler.

A sport design but he took pains to capture the look and feel of the P-51D. Chief variances from scale: Wingspan is stretched a bit, and the nose outline is twisted to include generous right thrust and down thrust.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:52 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,948 Posts
Too bad, the Kat Brat looks nice. I still have the magazine floating around here somewhere...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:08 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,177 Posts
Just to be clear, in my initial comment today I was not referring to Laser Design Services, Inc.

And just now I googled "RCM Plans" and got this website: https://www.rcmplans.com/
Note their comments re: problems in the past, too.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:57 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,948 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. It was a great magazine when Don Dewey was around. Maybe someone ought to buy the rights to all the plans and run a service correctly.......
Old Mar 25, 2014, 06:59 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,948 Posts
At least they admit the problem.....
"We wish to thank all of you for the privilege of having so many great customers over the past four years. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we were unable to fulfill many of your orders. We are now up and running and all plans have been refurbished.

With the problems that we had, we were locked out of our entire system. We were unable to access the admin portion of the website, emails, orders, etc. We have resolved the problems with our hosting company and updated our computer system. RCM Plans is very recently under new management and we hope to be up to speed in the next few weeks.

We will be refunding any money to those who do not want to wait for their plans. If someone chooses to receive the product that they ordered, we will also help them with this. We want to apologize profusely for any inconvenience to you.

As stated on our website, all entities that are producing any plans from R/C Modeler are doing so unlawfully and will be criminally responsible.

Thank you for your loyalty and patience. Best wishes to each and every one of you."
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rood View Post
Just to be clear, in my initial comment today I was not referring to Laser Design Services, Inc.

And just now I googled "RCM Plans" and got this website: https://www.rcmplans.com/
Note their comments re: problems in the past, too.
John - I was just noting that they had plans - I ordered from RCM over a year ago - and still nothing, but they did charge my CC - just trying to help get you a set of plans - that's all.
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:17 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,948 Posts
Wow, that's some bad service! I try to get mine out within a day or so, no wonder people like my service