Old Feb 16, 2014, 02:52 PM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
560 Posts
Build Log
VCTRC 500 DFC heli - budget build

Hello All
After 250 and 450 helis it's time to move on to the 500 class heli.
For this project, I choose hopefully the best clone brand there is (guess so) the VCTRC 500 DFC heli.
I made an unboxing movie and components overview, and so far all parts seem to be top quality to me...I will update later with more pictures and videos, but for start, I hope you will enjoy this first video...

VCTRC500 DFC unboxing and build parts list (10 min 2 sec)

For the build, I will use a Leopart 1450kv motor since I am not a 3d flyer and I prefer to stay more in the air; for servos, I chose the Spring RC servos over other cheaper brands and of course, the already familiar Tarot Zyx FBL controller paired with my trusty Devo Rx-1002 receiver...

More will follow soon...
Enjoy...
cofl10011 is offline Find More Posts by cofl10011
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:01 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Very nice. . Your going to love that Hobbywing esc. . Very good, trustworthy, durable electronic you have there. 500's are rip roaring fun.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:13 AM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
560 Posts
Can't wait to finish it...For me it is the best size, and can fit in the trunk of my car still
The parts look nice so far and like I said I read good rhings about Vctrc...
Old Feb 17, 2014, 07:48 PM
United States, PA, Macungie
Joined Jan 2012
53 Posts
Do you know how this kit compares to the HK500 FBL TT? I am thinking about getting one but am worried it is the same quality as the HK, any thoughts?
LVflier is offline Find More Posts by LVflier
Old Feb 17, 2014, 08:01 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVflier View Post
Do you know how this kit compares to the HK500 FBL TT? I am thinking about getting one but am worried it is the same quality as the HK, any thoughts?
The Quality of the VCTRC500 will be better.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:41 AM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
560 Posts
I discussed with someone who had both and indeed vctrc is better
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:10 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Thanks for posting the video, nice and clear! I'm surprised to see an Align DFC mainshaft included!

Everything looked like it was nicely packaged. (apart from the main styro box!)

I would prefer to run a V-bar clone FBL controller to the ZYX, but that would definitely need more than a 4A BEC. The BEC ratings are also deceptive - it will be 4A when connected to a 3s battery pack, but less than that when connected to a 6s pack. On my HK500TT FBL, I suffered a couple of brownouts (with consequent "hard landings") when the 4A 5.5v bec on my Superbrain ESC wasn't up to maintaining voltage under load for my FuBar FBL controller. I then fitted a 10A Hobbywing BEC, but now prefer to run a 2s LiFe RX pack, which fits perfectly under the battery mount.

What battery [packs will you be using? The 500 frames keep the battery fairly high, limiting the height of the battery that will fit under the canopy. My (Gartt) HK500TT FBL has the lowered battery mount, which makes 6s 3000mah packs feasible. I went for 2650 Nano 45c Tech packs, and was disappointed to discover that my heli was tail heavy! now with the 2s LiFe RX pack, it's just about balanced. (my ESC is mounted on the outside of the frame)

Enjoy your build, and flying the 500!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:01 AM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
560 Posts
Thanks for your kind comments...
I have turnigy 3s 3000 that I share with my quad and will connect together...
I will upload the photos of the parts soon as I will have some time
Unfortunately banggood delayed my canopy order without asking and the project is on hold for now...
I also bought a 5a max current bec from hobbyking but i dont trust it over the esc bec?
Any advice?
Thanks
Florin
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:27 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Choose LiFe!

If you're using 2 x 3s packs, you might be able to hook up the BEC to one of them, but it would be a little messy wiring wise, compared with connecting the BEC wires to the ESC battery leads. I really prefer using a 2s LiFe pack - I found this 1100mah one that fits the 500 perfectly, and it comes with twin power leads. I use twin servo extension leads from the LiFe pack to the RX, which on my 500 is on the RX mount, with the FBL controller on top of the boom block.

HobbyKing don't seem to have any equivalent units - instead of servo leads, they have other connectors, though some reviewers report different connectors from those shown in the spec.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:34 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,248 Posts
He is going to need a larger separate bec anyway. The springRC servos he is using are energy hogs. Those are the servos I had on my align 500pro when I first built it. Great and fantastic servos, but with my beastx they caused a brown out and my first crash. One got a iffy spot on one of the gears from the crash and because I couldn't find replacement gears. I won some align 520m for $100 and replaced them. With the aligns it flew for over 100 flights and then I got another hiccup in power. This time not enough to reset the beastx, but enough to reset the futaba fasst. Luckily the fasst recovers in less that a second. Then I put a CC pro bec on.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:45 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,248 Posts
I also used that same Leopard motor, but in the 500pro the gearing is different than this one. The motor runs really hot. So I ended up getting the MX500 motor and I put the leopard in my Airwolf and is still running great and hot lol!

The one thing I did see in the video is the frame does not have the battery mod? So you may have issues using larger battery packs. Basically you cut the frame down to the first long opening and relocate the battery plate there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:05 AM
Rchelistuff
Romania, AR, Arad
Joined Nov 2012
560 Posts
Hello and thanks for your tips.
I planned to use this motor hoping for better flight times. I am a bit worried about the heating issue, but I wait for my canopy from banggood and then I will proceed with the build...
Where would be the best place for the Esc? Under the battery or on the side?
Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:55 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
That might depend on the weight and balance. If your main battery pack is light, it might be best to put the ESC as far forward as possible, usually under the battery tray. I prefer to have mine on the outside of the frame on mine, and my slightly tail heavy C of G was mostly corrected by adding the LiFe pack under the battery tray.

You can do a trial install of both options and see which one you prefer, and check how convenient it is to connect the battery and put on the canopy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:09 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,248 Posts
Something just jumped in my head from another post. All the springRC servos are good for up to 300hz so don't set anything to 333hz

I got a hold of one of their engineers and he emailed me with the specks
RCG Plus Member