SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2012
127 Posts
Discussion
What is the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2

I have been designing some possable foam planes and want to order a new radio for the power system. During my serch both Mode 1 and Mode 2 come up and I am unable to comprehend the difference. The radio I am leaning to is the Orange Rx T-SIX 2.4 Ghz DSM2 6Ch Programmable Transmitter W/10 Mode Memory (Mode 1) from Hobby King but this comes in Mode 1 and Mode 2. Would someone please exlpane the difference between the two!
Thanx for any and all help.
baronbernie is offline Find More Posts by baronbernie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=2105
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:43 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Simple answer: Mode 2 is the most common set up used in the US, it is very rare to find a Mode 1 flyer in the US.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:02 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Mode 2: elevator and aileron on the right stick, throttle and rudder on the left stick.

Mode 1: throttle and aileron on the right stick and rudder and elevator on the left stick.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Mode 2: elevator and aileron on the right stick, throttle and rudder on the left stick.

Mode 1: throttle and aileron on the right stick and rudder and elevator on the left stick.
I fly Mode 1 and find it hard to fly Mode 2. Are there some proven advantages of either of them or is it just something you get used to?
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
165 Posts
Mode 1 is by far the most popular setup in Australia
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
As far as Aircraft I don't think you can prove that there is any advantage either way, only one I've heard mentioned is performing rollers in 3D can be easier with Mode 1 but everything else is a wash.

With Heli's I think it's meant to be easier to fly Mode 2, it's not uncommon to find people who fly aircraft on Mode 1 but fly Mode 2 for Heli's as they've found it easier with a Heli.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:55 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,969 Posts
A few comments from Oz. Mode 1 or Mode 2 popularity here is mainly dependant on location. I guess this comes partly from who was flying what a few years ago and thus how newcomers have learnt on that mode in that area.

I fly Mode 1 and have on a couple of occasions tried Mode 2 but neither my head or thumbs seem to respond well enough. All of this may be that either I'm thick or just an old f...t.

I have a friend who can fly either mode perfectly and without the slightest problem. That includes whether the aircraft is in trim or not. Maybe he's lucky or not "normal" like the rest of us.

Without trying to influence anyone I like Mode 1 personally because I happen to prefer the separation between aileron and elevator. This may not occur with good, precise, fliers but too often the casual sport flier (and I fall in that category) can inadvertantly input small cross amounts between both the ailerons and elevators. This is rarely a problem with slower flying models but can be a hassle with fast ones. From observation this seems less of a problem on Mode 2 if one holds the sticks between the finger tips and thumb rather than just putting the thumbs on the top of the sticks.

Regardless, providing I don't crash my models too often I really don't care what anyone else chooses so long as they are happy.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Mode 2 has always worked well for me...if aileron and elevator on one stick is good enough for real airplanes, it is good enough for me and R/C....

I have never noticed any control interaction...unless I want it.... I have always thought that was more of a red herring put forth by the proponents of Mode 1 than a real issue.

I can fly Mode 1, but it does take some concentration and I am not 100% comfortable while doing it.

Choice of Mode is usually perpetuated by the local flyers in a given location...if a club is primarily Mode 1, it will tend to train in Mode 1. Same if it is primarily Mode 2.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:05 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Don't forget Modes 3 and 4.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:02 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMcC View Post
Mode 1 is by far the most popular setup in Australia
Makes sense. Your toilets flush backwards too.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:49 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Makes sense. Your toilets flush backwards too.
All depends on which way is forwards. Actually the coriolis effect is negligible for the water that drains in a toilet. But you can see them in jet streams, storms, low pressure systems & ocean currents.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:04 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Mode 2 has always worked well for me...if aileron and elevator on one stick is good enough for real airplanes, it is good enough for me and R/C....

I have never noticed any control interaction...unless I want it.... I have always thought that was more of a red herring put forth by the proponents of Mode 1 than a real issue.

I can fly Mode 1, but it does take some concentration and I am not 100% comfortable while doing it.

Choice of Mode is usually perpetuated by the local flyers in a given location...if a club is primarily Mode 1, it will tend to train in Mode 1. Same if it is primarily Mode 2.
+1

One stick to control direction and one to control throttle and rudder when needed.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella